|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
Latin American men outside the United States seem to have more 'staches than other ethnic groups. Whether it's Good Hair, Evil Hair, Badass Mustache or just plain funny depends on the character, mustache, and viewer.
Mexican actors Mario Moreno "Cantinflas" and Pedro Infante, as well as rebel warlord Emiliano Zapata are probably the ones who codified this trope.
See also Facial Profiling.
- Most billboards that involve a Hispanic guy.
Anime and Manga
- The majority of the Latin American gangsters in the Black Lagoon manga.
- The representative Mexican mecha in G Gundam called the Tequila Gundam had one!
- Subverted in Zorro - Diego puts on a fake fancypants moustache when he disguises as Don Diego.
- Also subverted in Spy Kids 3 - Gregorio [amusingly, also played by Banderas] puts on a fake moustache when he goes into Spy mode. He'd shaved it off previously.
- Blazing Saddles. The Mexican banditos signing up for Hedley Lamarr's army have mustaches.
- Three Amigos. Most of El Guapo's gang and the men of Santo Poco have mustaches.
- In The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, in the scene where the Mexican bandits are asked for their badges they all have mustaches.
- Lots of people in Once Upon A Time In Mexico. Also Agent Sands wears several (flamboyantly) fake moustaches.
Live Action TV
- Stephen Colbert's Mexican friend Esteban Colberto is just Stephen in a pastel colored suit and a mustache...
- And chicas. Don't forget the chicas.
- Similiar to Esteban Colberto, at one point the gang on How I Met Your Mother run into a Latino lawyer who looks exactly like their friend Mashall -- except he has a mustache (and wears a beige suit).
- When they were in the LAX stable in TNA, both Hector Guerrero and Hernandez had pretty epic 'taches.
- Cabinet Sanchez in Spamusement. (link)
- Gordito and family in The Adventures of Dr. McNinja.
- Significant in that Gordito is twelve.
- In Wapsi Square, Monica's Mexican uncle has a rather impressive mustache.
- El Tigre the Adventures of Manny Rivera.
- In the Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi episode "Ole", which takes place in the Hollywood Atlas Version of Mexico, apparently, everyone dresses like a member of a mariachi band and has (you guessed it) huge mustaches.
- Teh Megas XLR episode "Universal Remote" featured the robot bandit Skalgar with big mustache, over-the-top accent, a mariachi Leitmotif.
- In Sunset Riders only three (unmasked) characters display mustaches, pink-poncho-wearing Mexican Cormano, who pairs it with a beard, and The Smith Brothers, who are not Mexican, and therefore have to die.
- In Fallout: New Vegas, Raul, who is Mexican, has a small mustache. This becomes more impressive when you remember that he is a Ghoul, and has lost all other hair on his body, in addition to being over 200 years old.
- Truth in Television - There HAVE been news articles on the strange mustaches the Mexican police have.
- It gets more noticeable the farther back in time you go, with Revolution era mustaches looking very formidable. For some reason though, the Independence and Conquista periods at most have sideburns.
- That's because they weren't Mexicans YET, just angsty spaniards.
- The Mexican-American congressman Raul Grijalva (D-AZ) sports magnificent mustaches. This wouldn't be a big deal, but his campaign logo is a stylized version of it. Are we electing him or his facial hair?
- Back in the day, Cheech Marin's mustache was worthy of its own Chuck Norris list.
- Cesar Romero, famed for his frequent Latin Lover roles, refused to shave off his mustache when playing The Joker on the 60's Batman TV show; he painted it over instead.