|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
The story centers on Ayumi Mamiya, a witch cursed to lose her powers, and Haruo Yoshikawa, an apparently Ordinary High School Student whose three sisters are witches who use their magical powers to keep him protected and ignorant about the existence of magic. Now Ayumi must wake up Haruo's latent powers to save herself - but his sisters have other ideas.
Magikano contains examples of:
- Absurdly Powerful Student Council: While Yuri doesn't take it to the extreme that some other shows do, she does abuse her privileges whenever it concerns Haruo, such as showing up to his house when she hears that Ayumi is living with him, or the other girls terrible roles in the play in episode 9. The other characters often point out that she's abusing her powers.
- Abuse Is Okay When Its Female On Male: Seems Haruo is often on the receiving end of this, usually by his sisters or Ayumi.
- Balloon Belly: Chiaki in episode 12.
- Barehanded Blade Block: Rika stops a giant's axe with one hand.
- BFS: Yuri has one during her battle mode. Can double as a hovering surf board.
- Big Brother Attraction: Maika, to Haruo. She's always showering him with affection, hiding in his closet and watching him sleep, trying to bathe him, modeling lingerie for him to see (even wearing it on top of her school uniform to give him a little preview), and attempting to drive away any and all other female attention from him.
- Big Eater: Chiaki. However, she claims to enjoy exercising even more than she enjoys eating.
- Blue with Shock: Happens to Ayumi in episode 4 after someone steals her pendant. She also suffers a Heroic BSOD.
- Happens to her again in episode 7 when Rika puts a cage full of rats in front of her face.
- Brick Joke: "Huh, deja vu."
- Brother-Sister Incest: Played with. Maika's love for her brother can't be healthy.
Ayumi: It's in her god-damned DNA?!
- Brother-Sister Team: The "All Sisters" variant.
- Butt Monkey: Haruo unfortunately.
- Catgirl: Ayumi's hair decorations seem to resemble cat ears, and she vaguely resembles one.
- Cat Smile: Most of the girls display one, particularly when they're happy. Ayumi sometimes even makes cat noises while showing one off.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: All the main girls exhibit this at some point, but Maika, Ayumi, and Yuri seem to display this the most.
- Closet Sublet: Maika frequently hides in Haruo's closet and watches him sleep.
- Clothing Damage: Happens more often in the later episodes.
- Conspicuous CG: The water blob's first appearance in episode 6.
- Curb Stomp Battle: The ghost girl, using Haruo's magic, absolutely stomps all of the witches attempts to fight.
- Determinator: All of the girls competing in the race in episode 8 seem a bit too focused on trying to win. Then it's hilariously subverted when Chiaki wins because she won 40 eating contests, making the 30 points from the race worthless. The girls are not happy about that.
- Dominatrix: The Queen of Hearts in episode 9.
- Disproportionate Retribution: The girls tend to overreact to the other's attempts at wooing Haruo. Then they take it out on him once in a while as well even though he had nothing to do with it.
- Dojikko: Marin is rather clumsy.
- Dynamic Entry: Yuri does it to Ayumi in episode 12.
- Eldritch Abomination: Haruo's original form was apparently a two-hundred meter tall shadow with blood red eyes and humongous teeth.
- Emotionless Girl: Anju Rika.
- Eyes of Gold: Ayumi's eyes turn into this when she's casting spells.
- Fan Service: Quite a bit of it.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Maika literally turns into one at times.
- Groundhog Day Loop: It turns out that all the events in the series have happened numerous times before and must be changed cardinally to progress. However there is indication that this time round it will be different.
- Here We Go Again: See Groundhog Day Loop.
- Holier Than Thou: Marin, a Catholic witch-hunter who believes Haruo needs protection from "evil witches" (specifically, his sisters).
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: The episode titles always ask a question.
- Imagine Spot: The girls often have these, usually about Haruo.
- It Runs in The Family: Haruo's three sisters.
- Knight Templar: Marin tries to act like one, but isn't very good at it.
- Large Ham: Hajime most of the time, but the girls often do this too when Haruo is brought up.
- Lightning Glare: Yuri and Ayumi do this to each other in episode 2.
- Happens again in episode 8, this time with the addition of Maika and Marin.
- Locked Out of the Loop: Haruo's sisters seem quite persistent in making sure he doesn't use any magic or realize they're witches. Hence why he's often getting hit with the memory erasing hammers.
- Love Freak: Marin.
- Lover Tug of War: Episode 12 has one between Ayumi and Maika.
- Magical Girl: All the sisters and Yuri change outfits when they enter battle mode. Fuyuno changes into a standard magical girl outfit however.
- Meaningful Name: Yuri. She seems to be the quite the elegant, level-headed Onee-Sama of literally every girl in her school.
- Meido: The female leads have no business being maids - they just do it for the free room and board.
- Money, Dear Boy: In-universe example, Hajime and Fuyuno are often thinking about how to make money, even at the expense of other characters such as Yuri.
- Money Fetish: Fuyuno is obsessed with cash, mostly swimming in it and earning it.
- Naughty Tentacles: The plant monster from Episode 8.
- Only Sane Man: Haruo is often wondering what happened, or why people are acting really weird and crazy. Part of it is due to his sisters constantly hitting him with memory erasing hammers.
- "On the Next Episode of..." Catchphrase: "Stay tuned for more magic!"
- Open the Iris: In a rather extreme example, the iris opens, then the iris and pupil shrink, and the sclera fractures.
- Panty Shot: Quite a few of them, usually Ayumi's.
- Rape Is Okay When Its Female On Male: Ayumi tries this frequently on Haruo. Technically, it's a subversion since Maika has a tendency to give any girl who flirts with her brother a punch in the face, and thensome.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: The school principal doesn't seem to mind the crazy stuff going on, although it doesn't help that he's buying all the girly stuff Hajime keeps hawking.
- School Festival: Episode 9.
- Serious Business: Almost anything regarding Haruo, whether it's a kiss from him or giving him a lunch.
- Skinship Grope
- Stealth Hi Bye: Yuri and Rika both seem capable of instantly appearing wherever they're needed or wherever Haruo happens to be at the time.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: On Yuri getting the part of Cinderella in episode 9's school festival, and Haruo playing the prince.
Yuri: (with a funny smirk on her face): I didn't pick Haruo on purpose, it was a collective decision.
- Student Council President: Yuri
- Temporal Theme Naming: The Yoshikawa family uses the seasonal motif, with Haruo (Spring), Maika (Summer), Chiaki (Autumn) and Fuyuno (Winter).
- Thanks for the Mammary: When Ayumi first meets Marin in episode 5, she accidentally launches a spell when Haruo shows up, which causes Marin to get knocked back into Haruo. Ayumi then sees him grabbing her chest, and immediately gets jealous about it.
- This Is for Emphasis, Bitch: Done a lot in the dub.
- Take That: Done at least once in the dub:
Marin: "Ayumi Mamiya correct?"
Ayumi: "Not another Jehovah's Witness.
- The Jimmy Hart Version: Episode 7 has a Terminator-like music playing, followed shortly by a gun being fired at Haruo.
- Done again in episode 8 whenever the scene jumps to Rika performing her chores.
- Typecasting: In-universe example. In episode 9 of the dub, after Ayumi gets into her witch costume:
Ayumi: Why am I a witch?
Yuri: Ever heard of typecasting, bitch?
- Tsundere: Ayumi, who is also a...
- Unwanted Harem: The female leads.
- What Do You Mean It's Not Awesome?: Rika during her intro in episode 7 does a lot of things that goes a bit overboard, such as shooting at them and later summoning a fire demon. She then tells the girls that it was her attempts at a joke, and asks if it was effective. The girls respond by hitting her.
- Why Did It Have To Be Eels: Ayumi is not fond of eels, or rats.