|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Magical Angel Creamy Mami (or Creamy Mami, the Magic Angel) was the first Magical Girl series done by Studio Pierrot (1983). It's the Trope Maker for the Magic Idol Singer genre, and it became quite popular in Europe (broadcast between 1985 and 1988).
Yu Morisawa is a ten-year-old girl living with her parents in their creperie. She has a crush on her best friend, Toshio, an older boy who (unfortunately for Yu) thinks of her as a sister.
One day, Yu sees a giant boat floating in midair, which turns out to be a Flying Saucer. She gets inside the ship and meets an alien named Pino Pino, whom she helps to find his way home. In gratitude, Pino Pino decides to give her magical powers contained in a powder compact, for one year's time. He also gives her two magical kittens, Posi and Nega.
Using a Magical Incantation ("Pampuru pimpuru pam pom pum"), Yu can turn into a beautiful, purple-haired, 16-year-old version of herself. The next day, she hangs around in her new form and meets Shingo Tachibana, a company manager for Parthenon Productions. He persuades Yu to sign a contract in order to be an Idol Singer. She does so under the pseudonym of "Creamy," the name of her parents' restaurant.
During a whole year, Yu/Creamy becomes a star singer, makes Toshio fall for her, makes Megumi, the former Parthenon Productions Idol, clingy and jealous, escapes plots to discover her true identity, and has a number of strange, magical, and supernatural adventures, all while continuing to attend school as Yu. Then in a farewell concert, she gives her powers back to Pino Pino.
However, the story was not finished. In an OAV released in 1985, Yu is 16 (for real) and learns that Shingo Tachibana needs Creamy again. All that Yu has to do to look like Creamy now is to wear a purple wig, so she can act in a movie with Megumi.
The TV series is streaming on Anime Sols.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: The never-ending arguing between Megumi and Tachibana (and slaps, from her) hides the fact that they like each other. Really.
- Beta Couple: Megumi and Tachibana.
- Catch Phrase: "Pampuru pimpuru pam pom pum" used by Yu.
- Clark Kenting: Averted: It failed because Toshio accidentally witnessed Yu 's transformation. And when her secret is revealed to someone, she loses her powers, as Pino Pino warned her. Toshio helps her to find a new Magic Wand and then forgot everything.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Megumi doesn't understand why Creamy seems more loved than her, both by the public and by Tachibana.
- Crossover: In the OAV, Creamy meets/fights against magical girls such as Emi, Persia, Pastel Yumi, or Minky Momo.
- Cryptid Episode: There's one episode based around a sea monster.
- Dub Name Change: Toshio was named Charlie, Posi and Nega became Sinon and Sissi, while Tachibana and Megumi became Jingle and Chantal in French. But Yu/Creamy kept her name and nickname.
- Evil Twin: In one episode, Creamy's reflection escapes a mirror and starts posing for nude photos and signing autographs with her left hand.
- Cute Kitten: Posi and Nega.
- Friend to All Living Things: On an animal show, Creamy Mami is the only actress who can befriend a bear.
- Hey, It's That Voice!: In the original version, it was made to help the career of idol Takako Ōta, Creamy's voice. In France, it was Regine Teyssot. She's the French Tress MacNeille, doing most of the women and children in The Simpsons.
- Idol Singer: In Japan, they often begin when they are 16, and last one year. For real.
- The Lost Woods: Episode 17 has Yuu exploring one in search of a disappeared artist.
- Loves My Alter Ego: Toshio, at first, prefers Creamy.
- Magical Girl: It popularized the concept.
- Magical Incantation
- Magic Idol Singer: Trope Maker.
- Magic Wand: It pops out of her powder compact when the transformation is on.
- Mentor Mascot: The two alien cats Posi and Nega.
- Older Alter Ego
- Plucky Girl: Yuu. The space-cats even comment on how fearless she is.
- Retired Badass: Yuu's mother used to be the leader of a biker gang.
- The Rival: Megumi
- Slap Slap Kiss: Toshio and Yuu.
- Tomboy: Yuu
- Transformation Trinket: A magic wand in the early shows; and then a star-shaped ring when the wand is lost.
- Unicorn: Yuu meets one in Episode 17.
- Victorious Childhood Friend: At first, Yu who suffers unrequited love from Toshio, but his fascination for Creamy reveals he could like Yu one day—and it indeed happens.
- Weirdness Censor: Only Yū is able to see the spaceship, or to talk with the two space-cats.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Sure, Creamy's hair is purple when she is magically transformed. But even as Yu, she has blue hair...