|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
A Magic Square Puzzle is typically a grid of nine squares where a given sequence of numbers must be placed in a specific order to equal another number in all directions. Somewhat similar to a Fifteen Puzzle, depending on the mechanics, though a magic square usually has complete freedom of moving pieces if it has physical pieces for each number.
- Perplex City has a card with a 4x4 magic square which must be filled in, with only two starting numbers.
- Stargate Atlantis episode "The Brotherhood" was all about this puzzle. First version, the eight pieces of the movable numbers were arranged in a grid square over a wide area of land. At the final puzzle, nine pieces with the numbers 1-9 were placed. One piece fit into a certain slot in the middle of the grid, and the eight others were placed around it. After witnessing one Mook get killed by an incorrect arrangement, Sheppard solves the puzzle by realizing that the numbers 1-9 can be placed in a grid to add up to 15 in all directions.
- It should not surprise anyone that Professor Layton and the Curious Village has one of these.
- The PC game Sherlock Holmes and the Secret of the Silver Earring has an unusually large one, ten columns wide.
- The first test you must complete to get one of Johnny's Tools in Shadow Hearts: From The New World is a staggered magic square, requiring you to match different sums for each direction.
- Happens twice in Onimusha 2 where you have to solve such a puzzle to open the chests cotaining the proper trinket.
- Castle of Dr Brain and Island of Dr Brain have this as one of the puzzles in each game. In the first game, the puzzle is the same every time you play (with a blank board), but the size will differ based on the difficulty. In the second game, you can replay the puzzle as many times as you like, and have it randomised each time.
- The first Might and Magic game has a 4x4 magic square dungeon, the successful solution of which will grant your party +2 intelligence