|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
Continued from Made of Win Archive: Early 2010.
Farmelle: To Kenny666, I think; at least, whoever made the article on 'Superhjältejul', pretty much in one sitting. I mean, hell. It was one advent calendar. Not many people outside of Sweden (if any) must have known of its existance, and even of those who did, not many of them seemed to like it. Then, I found that someone liked it enough to make a TV Tropes page. I...I love you, guy.
- Just found this page - that'd be me, and why, thank you! I'd strongly doubt myself that anyone outside of Sweden cares about it, too. Seeing as how TVTropes Has Ruined My Life, I couldn't help but notice all those tropes while watching it, and figured why the hell not. Even though my reason for watching it in the first place was Shaped Like Itself - I wouldn't watch it if I didn't have the actual calendar, but I wouldn't get the calendar if I didn't plan to watch it. It was mostly a spur-of-the-moment decision when I saw the calendar at ICA.
- So you guys hate Twilight so much but lemme ask you this.... why do you all know so much about it? Have you actually read the books and seen the movies? If you answered yes...then Guess who wins? That's right...Stephanie Meyer and her publishers. And the film crew. Because guess what? For all you know, they're trying on purpose to write something because for some odd reason, you all buy the books, read the books, buy the movies, and see the movies. And you did just what they wanted...Congratulations.
- Let's see: borrowing the books off a friend? Zero dollars. Watching the film on an international flight I would have gone on anyway? Zero dollars. Getting to throw it in the face of "fans" who don't know as much as me and getting to have valid arguments for why the series sucks? Priceless. :)
- Why the f** k do they continue to say he's weak in the journals in stuff? I beat frickin SAIX more easily than that guy!
- I beat fricking XEMNAS' more easily than that guy!
- I beat frickin SEPHIROTH more easily than that guy!
- Okay...I didn't...but you get the idea.
Citizen: A classic lolcat--nothing that can be attributed to the contributors here--and what came to mind when I ran across ~If You're So Evil, Eat This Kitten~. Didn't know it was already uploaded.
Anonymous Mc Cartneyfan: One TV Tropes Made of Win Archive point to Starship Troper for correcting the lyrics to "MacArthur Park" in the Narm/Music entry. Everyone knows the chorus, but the verses are just as good (or bad); I had just misremembered a few of them.
- Starship Troper: Wow, my first TV Tropes Made of Win Archive point! Thank you for an awesome Christmas present :-)
- Crowning Moment of Awesome - See Big Damn Heroes. Shinji is like a Panda in this brave new world. And what do Pandas do? They look sad... Right up until you piss them off, and they start Shooting Frickin' Laser Beams out of their eyes, and RIP YOU APART with their BARE HANDS! Do NOT make Shinji a sad Panda. You wouldn't like him when he's a sad Panda.
"The raven on my head thirsts for blood!"
vicnog: A collective MOW for everyone who contributed to the Statue of Liberty entry on the Green-Skinned Space Babe page. Truly hilarious.
Cat 22: Wow, my first Free Hug! I humbly accept.
- Stealth Parody - Some people think the series is an elaborate troll due to it being so over the top and the author's flat out denial that Rose is bisexual or a Mary Sue.
- A very in-depth Stealth Parody, then, because while My Immortal was so obviously trolling that anyone who'd read the books would have known it was a mockery, this reads like an actual work by someone with power fantasies and no skill. Kind of like a poorly-written Eragon with sex.
- Isn't that redundant?
- Of course not. Eragon has no sex.
tennessean: Added in the "FanFic/" part.
vicnog: NeoSilverThorn, I grant you a MOW for this gem in the Inspector Gadget page:
- Well, speaking of those gadgets...where exactly do they fit? With that Gadget Copter, what's inside his head?!
- Actually, that explains a lot.
- Well, speaking of those gadgets...where exactly do they fit? With that Gadget Copter, what's inside his head?!
Nohbody: The page history for Galaxy Quest doesn't go back far enough to identify the
guilty responsible parties, but IMO this exchange on that page deserves some MoW love, for whichever tropers were involved (specifically, the two lines under the trope entry itself, which is provided for context):
- Promotion to Opening Titles: Guy, who formerly played a Red Shirt on the canceled Show Within a Show, plays the chief of security on the relaunched series.
- Say, wasn't Tasha Yar chief of security before she was killed?
- That's not right!
- Say, wasn't Tasha Yar chief of security before she was killed?
(I searched all of the MoW archive pages for "galaxy", and didn't see anything. Apologies if I just missed it already mentioned elsewhere.)
Syckls: It's really discouraging to see so many good jokes/bad puns undermined by that pothole. It's not quite Don't Explain the Joke level, but really, humor is an art of subtlety. Don't people understand that by telling us that they're making a joke, they indeed hobble it, eviscerating the very purpose that led to its creation? How many innocent laughs have been cut down before they could be born and bring joy into this world? Truly that pothole is a pox upon all those who stand for humor in this fair domain.
Haven: Sorry! I just keep seeing the argument "Incredibly Lame Pun does not mean that" pop up on this page. Now that I understand what you're saying, Actually Half Decent Pun would be a good redirect or something.
Dragon Quest Z: I made the caption. As for ILP, it's suppoed to be "this pun is dumb, and feel free to groan over it", which is what a proper or accidental use is.
Specialist 290: Furthermore, a lot of times, the "Incredibly Lame Pun" pothole is added after the fact by a third party, not by the original editor of the statement. (I know this from firsthand experience on both sides...)
1. According to all known science, it will not destroy the world.
ROBRAM 89: The internet (particularly this wiki) seems to have a pretty lax policy of stealing from them (come to think of it, so do radio stations and Graham Norton apparently) but that is taken nearly verbatim from a Cracked article.
Shay Guy: Oh. >_<
ROBRAM 89: It is, however, hilarious.
Looney Toons: Someone who's never gotten a MOW point, I suspect.
ROBRAM 89: The Hamburgler.
Be: I have no idea who included Frankie Boyle's joke in the Crowning Moment of Awesome section of the Mock the Week page (saying that, it may even have been me), but a MOW point to whoever took the time to include pot holes for each of the characters listed. And a second one for pot holing Phil Neville (Phil Neville?!) to Token Evil Teammate. Good show, sir or madam.
Be: I'm afraid not. I'd LIKE to dish out the points like they were unnecessarily hot pancakes and I were working at some kind of breakfast-type soup kitchen (...you heard) but Phil Neville makes it what it is.
Aminatep: A couple to the Trope Namer for Abusing the Kardashev Scale For Fun and Profit.
- That would be me, the disabused Ctrlbuild.
Schizo Technician: Thank you, you're too kind. Anything to avoid doing the paper I should be writing!
Mike Rosoft: Here's one to whoever came with:
This isn?t just IKEA Erotica, it?s IKEA Erotica that didn?t follow the assembly instructions.
tennessean: Uh...which article was this line from?
T-Jack: What, the TV Tropes website is getting MOW points now? Has it become self-aware or something?
Curtmack: History doesn't show who did it, but one to whoever added the Google results to the beginning of Borderlands.
Sal Fish Fin: this quote from Love Hotels: "And unlike America, you likely don't own a car and only advanced, highly acrobatic positions tend to be possible on a bicycle, even with the kickstand down. "
Hydro Globus: And one to you too. Feel yourself proud, this is the first MOW I handed out.
Not to be confused with the thing that goes parp, the thing that goes ding when there's stuff, the scientific progress that goes boink, the machine that goes ping, the thing that goes bong bong, the man who goes BONK, The Knights Who Say Ni! or Tonberries.
I have no idea why the title is so funny to me, but it is, oh so much.
Computer Sherpa: Ahaha, it's still getting longer. Seconded!
- General Kyong in Crysis carries a minigun and wears a superpowered, regenerating nanosuit... and can be killed simply by throwing a barrel at him.
- Perhaps his first name was Dong-Hee...
Madrugada: Thank you!
Silent Hunter: Very good work.
Riti Troll: May have already gotten it, might be several people, but I award one made of win to the person(s) who write (OF COURSE!) whenever taking over the world is mentioned. Or at least attempting it or die trying.
Unknown Troper: Belated beyond belief, but I hope I'm not the only one who is finding that incredibly obnoxious. :/
Grev: Well, it is a gun; it just doesn't shoot bullets. And it's kept in his shirt pocket like a fountain pen (and it looks like a fountain pen), so...
- Japan: ^(^_^)^
- USA: v(\_/)^
Deuxhero:I did the original idea, others improved the smilelys used.
Japanese Teeth: Thank you. I figured he was important enough to merit an entry on the page, but he didn't fit in any of the categories, so....
- Written In Infirmity: His first hit "Through the Wire" was written while in the hospital after a car accident and recorded while his jaw was still wired shut.
- You'd think this would be everyone's first clue that you can't shut him up.
Gemmifer: The picture for Wangst is awesomely wangsty. The snot-crying! The nobody-understands!
Luthen: Sorry, I thought I put that in. Spare me the spear please!
Rhainor: So very, very seconded.
Wascally Wabbit: Whoever put the category 'Mental Rape of Men by Hive-Minded Cyborg Societies' in the Rape as Redemption article can award themselves a coconut on the way back from Crossing the Line Twice.
Malchus: Sean Connery Is About to Shoot You has already been colectively MOW'd before. However, since that one was made before I added the Bad Boys examples, then I gladly accept and thank thee for the MOW.
- Ensemble Darkhorse - Gratch is awesome, which is sad because he's absent from the later books. Or maybe fortunate that he doesn't get caught up in the Author Tract.
- Could you imagine what an Author Filibuster by Gratch would read like?
- Gratch luuug Raaachaarg, Gratch haaate sooocialism.
- Could you imagine what an Author Filibuster by Gratch would read like?
- HELLO?! ARE PEOPLE LUSTING AFTER ME ON THE INTERMANET? I thought I was lusting after someone for a while, but she turned out to be a peice of toast. A male piece of toast. ...CHAAANGE?!
- Feed Me: Miguel, especially on the rooftop. And it is awesome.
- This troper disagr--
- WELL THEN FUCK YOU!
- This troper disagr--
Japanese Teeth: Another very meta TV Tropes Made of Win Archive for everybody who made a dick joke in the 3rd entry below this one. I'm sure you all thought long and hard about coming up with something.
Real Slim Shadowen: Fine, I'll take it, but if this becomes a pattern I'm sure someone will complain it's indecent.
Shadow Of The Sun: Just as a means of discouraging this...one negative made of win to everyone who continues this trend on.
And two negative wins for me for startin' the whole damn thing.
Sceboal: Since when can you give negative made of wins? I mean, it's not like I can say that every time you get a made of win, I get to sleep with your girlfriend, right?
Shadow Of The Sun: I can since I decided I wanted too. As for the girlfriend, well, I hope you like dry humping in mid-air.
szaleniec: This comment on Het Is Ew:
- Death Note, though it's almost completely on the Yaoi end; the females don't get paired up, they get written out.
Syckls: It's okay. However, I think I'd like to repeat the sentiment stated earlier on this page that you don't need to pothole every joke you make with needless self-deprecation.
This. What the hell Lelouch? If I may... FABULOUS! (Imagine, if you will, in Dan Green 's voice): After a long day of taking over the world, nothing refreshes me more than pouring cool, Aquafina-brand water all over me. Yes, look at that water dribble down all over my CLAMP-designed bishonen body! Have you had enough, fangirls, or do you want MORE?! Aquafina is the only brand of water I trust not to be poisoned by jealous nobles who like to drop carriages on imperial consorts! Aquafina: Because pouring Gatorade on your body is too much of a mess (and way too titillating for the fangirls)!
Shadowofthe Sun: One very meta Made of Win for all the folks who made a boob pun two entries below this one. One and a half to Real Slim Shadowen for his phallusy.
Rothul: Aren't you getting kind of cocky there?
jtmmachine: Yeah, that was kind of a dick move back there...
Haven: Right, shouldn't let it go to your head.
CAD: Wow, I can't think of a good pun to contribute to this. This is pretty stiff competition.
Sceboal: This is some nice wit you guys have.
Shadow Of The Sun: ...I'm contemplating revoking your win points, but I fear that will be too...emasculating? I don't want to make you guys feel impotent.
Spidey3000: Ah, no need to...um...stick your...screw it. I can't think of another penis-related pun to add that haven't been done; the humor's all dryed up. Oh well, at least I got a rise out of it.
Doug S. Machina: This from Wicked Cultured:
...he is actually defeated by his lack of knowledge of pop culture. Not "as a consequence of"; By. After failing to name the singer who had a hit with "I Should Be So Lucky", his head explodes. Or, if you prefer, goes pop.
Cat 22: Credit should go to Draqon Quest Z. I was quite titillated when he suggested it.
jtmmachine: That index just keeps racking up tropes!
Sceboal: I must've tittered at it so much.
SAMAS: Geez, what a bunch of boobs...
Beemoh: At least you got it off your chest.
T-Jack: Oh, come on, guys, tits just an index.
Rothul: Let's not be so quick to jugs.
Shale: Why did it take so long to make? There was always ample support for such an index, and a firm list of tropes to add.
JK Roo: This ought to make any other attempts at bad jokes a bust. An incredibly large one at that.
Mr Death: Just had to nipple that in the bud, huh?
Haven: Mammary joke!
Janitor: Okay. Have we milked this enough, yet?
- Code Geass has Nunnally become a master of understatement with "In the past, unfortunate happenings took place inside the Special Administrative Region of Japan." "Unfortunate happenings" meaning genocide.
- We could call it a Euphemism.
Mr Death: I don't get it.
Enlong: One to whoever took note the large number of alternate titles for the page, and added This Is For Redirects Bitch as the newest one. Lampshade Hanging in the form of an alternate titles. I love it!
Citizen: Haha, that was me.
Thinks Too Much admits that's amusing, but thinks we seriously need to remove some of those endless redirects, not add some.
Page history's lost the one responsible ("all edits," my ass), but somebody's got to give a MOW to the ones responsible for the jokey summation of Noein in Future Me Scares Me, Incredibly Lame Puns and all:
- So, three Yuus walk into a bar
- But the bartender didn't quantum to be there
- And the bartender asks them if they want beer, but they say Noein
- * rimshot*
- And the bartender asks them if they want beer, but they say Noein
- But the bartender didn't quantum to be there
- There's a lovely and rather subtle one in issue 16 of Grant Morrison's "Animal Man", where "quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" ("Who Watches The Watchmen?", in Latin) is graffiti-ed on a toilet wall.
- That couldn't be moore juvenal.
Earnest: I'd like to thank Willy Four Eyes for catching a mistake I made in In the End You Are on Your Own. I accidentally put The Longest Journey as a Film because I confused it with Homeward Bound. I would also like to give him a MOW point for assuming I was actually being clever by putting this in the Edit Reason space:
Willy Four Eyes: Hee hee...thanks. I kinda feel bad about the edit reason, though, as I haven't played enough of The Longest Journey to figure out how long its cutscenes are.
User:Koveras: Actually, TLJ is not cutscene-heavy at all (unlike Dreamfall) but I assumed you meant that the the epic plot of the game completely overshadows a high-quality but otherwise pretty standard point-and-click gameplay...
Eddie Current: Please join me in presenting Infinix with this TV Tropes Made of Win Archive, for all the Awesome he's brought to the Super Sentai pages lately. Including making the rest of us look good. Bravo, good sir!
Nate The Great: To whoever added the subtle The Princess Bride joke to the Bible It Just Bugs Me. "This was after grounding had been invented, but before time-outs." At least I assume this was a subtle The Princess Bride joke.
Shay Guy: He does have a knack for those, doesn't he?
BritBllt: I feel kind of guilty, getting a TV Tropes Made of Win Archive when Anonymous Mc Cartneyfan has spent the past month on cleaning up and fixing all the errors on the main Unwinnable page. He's pretty much single-handedly adopted the page and remade it with win, so he has my vote. :)
Anonymous Mc Cartneyfan: Thanks!
Doug S. Machina: I liked the meta twist in It Was His Sled.
Japanese Teeth: A Mo W for whoever did the (current) caption at Bodyguard Crush. I've seen at least 3 different captions there, so this one cracked me up. For posterity's sake, it currently reads Trust me, next time you come to this page, the pun will have changed.
Shale: And it has.
Tangent 128: Seconded.
tennessean: I potholed it so that other people can easily access the page from here.
Dragon Quest Z: Me, although it was inspired by all the varied lists.
Drac Monster: Thank you. We will get EVERY DAMN TROPE on that page eventually, I swear it!
nomuru2d: I nominate whoever put up the picture for The Emperor on the Dissidia Characters page. I laughed long and hard.
JK Roo: Seconded. Oh, so very very seconded.
Japanese Teeth: Thirded. I burst out laughing when I saw that.
Enlong: Whoever came up with the banner put at the top of Subjective Tropes. Captures the idea of subjective pretty danged well.
Silent Hunter: Seconded.
Anonymous Mc Cartneyfan: Thirded. I like the "surrender" body language.
merton: everyone on The Bible 's page, for their steadfast insistance in putting spoiler tags around the fact that Jesus dies.
Lale: This answer to why Carl didn't get busted by the FAA for flying a house down the street in Up: "Hello, is this the FAA? Yeah, there's this guy flying in a house. Yes, he's attached his house to a million balloons and he's just flying it down the... hello? Hello?" Crowning Moment of Funny! I was practically rotfl! They should have included that in the actual movie!
Enlong: So I was reading through You Make Me Sic, and when I reached the bottom, I saw the Poor Communication Kills index nav-bar. One of the links on that nav-bar was simply Lelouch. One MOW to whoever set that up.
St Fan: Nobody set it up. This is purely a problem with the automated indexing. Every link following the index list on the page will be used as the next index entry if it's just after the bullet point. Only way to avoid this is to eliminate the links at the beginning of the examples entries in the Poor Communication Kills page.
The Advertisement Server: WOULDN'T BE THE FIRST TIME, MEAT-SACK.
- Jesus... From The Bible... Word of God says he was trying to fix a Character Derailment, but it resulted in just as much backlash as before. Sorry
Cidolfas: For Rothul, for coming up with the YKTTW for "One Letter Title", all in poetry. It's not even a trope yet, but it's brilliant!
- Nasuverse sex scenes are commonly a mild form of this (more so in Tsukihime than the later Fate/stay night). Oddly, they're also written in first-person perspective...
If I ever read any Nasuverse visual novels I hope it's not as hilarious sounding as the image that gives me in my head.
bluepenguin: I don't know how hilarious your mental image is, but Nasu's sex scenes are definitely more funny than sexy (in most people's opinion).
Paradoxic Title: To alcatrazz, for his hilarious comment under the Demonic Spiders - Real Life section. Someone made a comment about how humans qualified (mainly because they killed so many animals). His response:
"Since when do we let woodland animals edit pages?"
Tal 9922: To the genius that came up with the corresponding image/caption for the Mama Bear and Papa Wolf pages, your Mo W is long overdue (even assuming the change is recent). Seriously, try switching between the two pages consecutively.
Medinoc: Wow. Seconding that, too. However, wasn't the Cable picture intentional?
Medinoc: Seconded. Also, what is this pic from?
Citizen: Looks like a Touhou sketch someone pulled off of Deviantart.
vicnog: I don't know whether this comment in the Lamarck Was Right page or the response to it is funnier:
- You can't inherit a pipe!
- Why not? This troper inherited his dad's Rolex.
A MOW to both tropers. Cheers!
- So, the environment is both murderous and incapable of reason? Sounds like a job for FIRE.
Haven: So very seconded.
St Fan: That would be me. ^_^ Didn't do it for the lolz, though, just thought it was fitting.
thatother 1 dude: I believe I actually nominated that a couple months ago (no one responded though).
- Atlas Shrugged: The Musical. The showstopper halfway through the third act must be seen to be believed.
I'd pay to see it, that's all I know. (Not saying that NEFR is a dog turd, saying that Atlas Shrugged is a dog turd. K? K)
Several false alarms and several boots later, you start to wonder. Why are there so many boots? Fish don't wear boots, hell, they don't even have feet. Yet there seems to be more boots in the water than there are fish. And it's not just boots, either. Spare tires, tin cans, other useless junk... why does it seem like you're fishing in Lake Erie?
K: Whoever added this to the Animorphs page gets one, because it makes me laugh every time I see it.
Star-Crossed Lovers: She's a beautiful, smart, independant, funny and spirited suburban teenage hottie. He is a fucking bird.
Grimace: I can't help but read that as an advert for a damn Rob Schneider movie. (still awesome though).
- Monsters Inc.: The monsters in your closet just work for a federal utility company, so in essence, they are bureaucrats. All the more reason to be afraid of them.
- Take two sips if This Troper relates how shocked, SHOCKED, they are that an example from their favorite series hasn't already been added.
- Take three sips if This Troper was right to expect said example to be mentioned sooner.
- Finish the bottle if said example has been mentioned already.
- Two bottles if you were the one to add the example and forgot about it.
- Three if has been mentioned before and the reason it's not there anymore was because it wasn't a real example.
- Four if you haven't yet died of alcohol poisoning.
- For the personal safety of those who actually want to try this drinking game, change "bottle" in the above four steps to "glass". And for that matter, omit the last one entirely.
Antheia: A MoW point to rjung for the Strange Syntax Speaker article. I didn't even realize what was odd about the text until I was halfway through or so, I just felt there was... something. That's a sign of serious writing skills.
Pykrete: Holy hell. It took me a while to notice what was going on there when I was looking for it. Very subtle, but elegant.
Shay Guy: It's right in the first paragraph.
Radical Taoist: Yeah, that's quite impressive. It was hard coming up with a suitable Laconic entry.
Freiberg: That takes some skill. And this comes from a guy who writes long and complicated acrostics into his history notes.
Vifetoile: Well, no Troper is an island, sufficient unto herself. This wiki needs everyone to make it great.
DOTMW: I don't know if it's been said already but everyone who contributed their own personal stories to the Crowning Moment of Heartwarming Troper Tales page has my sincere gratitude. I am constantly inspired by the warmth and humanity displayed there that offers hope that Sweet Exists. So a MAJOR TV Tropes Made of Win Archive to everyone who shared their stories with us.
Curtmack: One to whoever came up with the designation "Always Neutral Hungry" to refer to the Tyranids.
Deux Hero:Fairly sure "Neutral Hungry" is an existing fanon D&D term for various animals who, being int<3 and are not undead (I don't know why undead are evil when they are mindless either) are forced to True Neutral alignment.
Morkais Chosen: A truly inspired reply to the comment about General Studies exams at the bottom of Author Vocabulary Calendar. I was amused but not planning to add this here... until I saw the pothole for "She got an A."
Syckls: I would just like to note that the aforementioned entry was deleted from the Author Vocabulary Calendar page eight hours after it was given a mention here. I'm not taking sides on the issue, but I felt it had to be said.
Ronka87: It's is pretty old by now, but I had to mention this exchange from the discussion page of Instrument of God:
Wretchkin: I had to do it. 'Cause he's Batman.
Haven: One for whoever wrote the line "below is a condensed catalog of horrors that will make you doubt in the Auto Revive of Crystal Dragon Jesus" in Being Good Sucks. (Actually, that whole page is rather well-written, but that one made me lol). And, I know it's a little redundant to give Fast Eddie Made of Win points, but one to him for this snappy reply in Firefly's discussion page:
Meocross: wow.... this series is only 12 freaking episodes yet i see it on almost every trope i stumble on. what is in this show? o_O
Earnest: Thank you! ^_^ Every so often I manage a nice turn of phrase like that.
- The Companion Cube is a pastiche of every flat, plot-irrelevant love interest character ever. It's identical to every other NPC except for a small tag that marks it as a love interest; the only relationship you have with it is informed; the structure of a level is artificially manipulated to make it unwinnable without the love interest for no given plot reason; and the only purpose it serves in the story is to turn G La DOS forcing you to "kill" it into a Rape The Dog moment for the villain.
Sparkysharps:My God...That is brilliant.
T-Jack: One to whoever added the first line in Three Plus Two. Major spoiler indeed.
Fusion Dragon: Actually, going by the ring counter, I think it's a ROM hack.
Kalle: Oh my god, whoever potholed the entire strawberry milk speech on the Gintama page deserves serious points from me. If only because it made me burst out laughing just as hard as when I first saw it in the anime.
L: I simply approve of the MS Paint article. It's a solid piece of writing.
L: While I'm at it, I give similar approval to the Alchemy article.
tennessean: I personally liked the "psychoanalysis" bit in the line immediately above that one! :D
Haven: I picked up an MoW for that already, but thanks!
Doug S Machina: That's me. Thank you.
- Narm: Gears of War 2: Dom killing Maria because she's no longer hot.
Anonymous Mc Cartneyfan: A point to BritBllt for fixing the main Unwinnable page by making new folders so the "Other Videogamea" folder would close again. Also, for naming it the "Other Videogames" folder.
- Monster Clown: You have one guess. ONE. GUESS.
- I think he meant the Mad Hatter.
- It's obviously Harley Quinn.
- Jesus, he said monster, man. It's Croc.
- Seriously guys, monster and clown. It can only be the Titan-infected henchmen with clown make-up.
Asmodemus:Yay, I was mentioned! As part of something with a group of other people but still. I added Harley Quinn.
Be: My first point! I'd like to thank the Academy, Batman, my dull-ass job and Kanye West for not interrupting my speech, you're all fantastic.
Nithael: And I'm the one responsible for the last part ("Seriously guys..."). Thanks for my first point!
- 24's Jack Bauer would like to remind you that he's A FEDERAL AGENT!
- And that he wants everything done... NOW!
- ...because he is RUNNING OUT OF TIME!!!
"Red, in a way, but it's also true that Andy is Red's Magical Whitey, so to speak."
Rothul: Thank you!
L: "Surprisingly good graphics" would have been pretty blah by itself, so I'm glad someone appended it with "for a legacy system".
Ash's father is a Time Lord, his mother is Haruhi Suzumiya, and everthing takes place in instrumentality.
- I am unrepentant.
Spenser is somewhat a Poor Man's Substitute for Marlowe and is often brought up as the direct inspiration for fantasy novels using this character-type. (Emphasis mine.)
The literature geek inside of me just about died laughing. I dearly hope that was intentional, but it's gold even if not.
- Because it's about as sexual as a potato singing "Baa Baa Black Sheep", Wooldoor masturbating is shown multiple times. It involves breaking his own finger, among other things. Go figure.
thatother 1 dude: We had a page for that, but now it's just a redirect to the original page.
Phartman: I don't know who blueshifted it, but I believe the potato bit was mine.
Haven: Wow. Seconded so freaking hard.
Thirded by Outta The BLAM
Shay Guy: How the...wait, what copyright issue?
Broken Chaos: Thanks guys. Copyright issue was a potential situation (hopefully never an actual legal issue) where contributors to the wiki prior to The Great Crash aren't attributed in any way, which is a required part of the CC BY-SA -- the licence all content here is contributed and used under. Similar issue with the archived history (post-GC, pre-2009-07-12), but the admins have said there will be a tool for that in the (hopefully-near) future. Made o' win for 'em when that gets coded up.
Moviepyr 0: That was me. Dude, you just totally made my week. I also created the page and description (my first ever) save for a great change of the line "hallow, shallow lives made no more meaningful by always running for their lives" to "hallow, shallow lives made no more meaningful by always running for them" courtesy of Just Call Me Ned, and everything that follows from there in the first paragraph are totally kickass additions by unknown tropers. Also, I'd like to give another shout out to Just Call Me Ned for changing the line "Zombieland is a little more concerned with turning zombies into a pulpy mess." back to my original "Zombieland is a little more concerned with knocking their fucking teeth in." as well as an unknown troper for doing the same when someone changed it again.
Deuxhero:I started a YKTTW requesting such, but don't think this is a result of it.
Silent Hunter: That was me. Thanks.
- It's called A Date with Rosie Palms because it turns out This Hand Of Mine Glows With An Awesome Power isn't actually an example.
Drgon Quest Z: That was me.
- Legend has it that when Franklin returned from his post as the American ambassador to France, he was afflicted with every venereal disease known to medicine at the time.
Rogue 7: Hee! This made my night. And I've been having a good night.
- (snip) ..."My client doesn't even know how to drive a car".
~8th_Pacifist~: That was me, before I got known. I'd like to thank the Academy.
Curtmack: This, on Screw the Rules I Have Plot:
- Let's not even get started on the Seal Of Orichalcos, which would require about 5 cards worth of text space to explain the rules if was actually made.
- That's one of the simpler cards. All of your monsters get 500 more ATK points, you get 5 extra monster spaces and the loser loses their soul.
&# 9608;&# 9608;&# 9608;&# 9608;&# 9608;:&# 9608;&# 9608;&# 9608; &# 9608;&# 9608;&# 9608;&# 9608;&# 9608;&# 9608;&# 9608;&# 9608;&# 9608; is better anyway, and no less serious.
- Am I seriously the only one who has a problem with Thor and Odin making attractive women? What the hell did women look like in Norse mythology?
because now I want to know what that would look like.
ROBRAM 89: Despite the fact that I come here every day just to see if I've been congratulated for anything, I'd like to point out that somebody mentioned that one already. Thanks though.
User:Koveras: Do you know this rule of the internet, Rissa? If there is a male character out there, there is a gender-bent version of him, no exceptions. So... meet Odine and Toruko, original concept by yours truly, drawn by a close friend of mine. ^^
wllw: "Your browser is trying to contact an Internet site that is used in connection with distribution of photos depicting sexual abuse of children. This is a criminal offense in accordance with the Italian penal code." This is what I get when I click the above link.
User:Koveras: Yeah, I get that message far too often when I access my Russian blog, too. Thanks for reuploading the picture, Citizen, I should have thought of it myself. ^^
whitetigah: Weird, I'm from Italy too and yet I didn't get that message. Possibly because I'm using OpenDNS?
wllw: Thanks for rehosting. Nice pic, by the way.
- Worse than this is Chen, in her appearance in Shoot the Bullet. Usually, the player is encouraged to spend the first seconds before the boss appears stationary, charging his camera. This is usually well and good... except that Chen then proceeds to enter screen by falling like a brick in the exact same vertical line the player spawns at, usually ending with the first-time player eating a catgirl to the face.
- "I do."
Freezair For A Limited Time: Thirded! D'aaaaaawwwww...
Shoebox: Fourthed. That must've been quite the wedding.
Arutema: Stop it! Stop it! Stop it! Stop it! Stop it! STOP IT! Stop rubbing our faces in your romantic happiness bullshit if it was something everyone wanted or something everyone could have! I don't care if you put this in Made Of Lose, just STOP!
Rogue 7: Oh quit whining. I'm 20 years old and I haven't had a real date in my life. Doesn't mean I don't agree with the sentiment. Fifthed.
- Arutema: Trust me. Eight more years of unwanted celibacy and things ain't gonna look so pretty!
cg12345: Geez, I just thought it was a nice sentiment; I didn't say I was going to force you into marriage at gunpoint, you know?
Trigger Loaded: Sixed... Err, Sixthed... Err, agree. Just because I have no prospects of marriage in my future, doesn't mean I can't be happy for those who do succeed.
Malchus: "as if it was something everyone wanted" potholed to Asexuality? Because all asexuals are angry and bitter non-romantics who hate love with a passion, right? Please, a person can be asexual and still be pleased for other people who can find happiness with other people. Heck, a person can be asexual and still get married.
Joysweeper: You can be asexual and fall in love, or go Shipping, even. Honestly? It doesn't matter how long we've gone without dates, blowing up because someone else succeeded where you haven't just makes you look like a Jerkass.
Vifetoile: Seventhed. Awww.
- Malchus: So? Every relationship I've tried has failed so far. Doesn't justify me ranting at people who succeed or soehorning asexuals (I'm related to one, so misunderstandings about them are my Berserk Button) as part of said ranting.
Zander Schubert: Firstly, thanks for the MOW points. Secondly, I'm glad/surprised/humbled/anotheradjective that something I've done has resulted in people going "Awwww....!" and "I KEEL YUO!!!!!!11~" at the same time. And, for the record, I'm single and dateless too. So, whatever...
Muzozavr: Since I'm a newbie to TV Tropes, and thus have no idea how to get a look at the "who edited what" database -- a MOW to whoever put that picture on the Mind Rape trope. If the page wasn't Nightmare Fuel for someone, it is definitely Nightmare Fuel NOW.
- The weighted companion cube from Portal is one of the game's most famous icons and is prominent in the game's merchandise, as well as a popular subject in fan art. The companion cube does not speak or move or threaten to stab you and only appears in a single level of the game, but is much more well known than the protagonist Chell or the villain G La DOS. Hell, he even got a trope named after him.
The next time Sinestro attacks Oa, he'll be fended off by an army of Longcats.
Haven Thank you! To me that game is the Green Lantern simulator. :P
- Anything that anyone ever praises sucks.
User:Koveras: Thirded by a computer scientist. :D
If you had difficulty understanding that: "A made of win to whoever rewrote Spike Spencer's page in Arakune's style."
Arutema: S.m.one r.ver.td it, b.t pre.er.ed on .art..iki..
Shay Guy: Agreed. All it needs is a little more "this troper"-ness.
thatother 1 dude: To bad that, unlike the previous image, it doesn't actually demonstrate the trope.
Cassius 335: Yeah, the "Shall I give you Dis Pear" pic definatelty fits the trope and I can see why someone would think it fitted too well...
Shale While I prefer "Several bad puns later...", I'm at a loss for how a terrible pun doesn't demonstrate a trope about terrible puns.
thatother 1 dude: Because it perpetuate the incredibly freaking frustrating notion that this article is "bitch about puns that you think are stupid" not "puns that are acknowledged as bad", which is why I've had to go through the entire article picking out non-examples at least four times.
Cassius 335: "Dis pear" is at least related to the trope. "Several bad puns later" isn't even a picture.
On a semi-related note, am I the only one who actually prefers a bit of white-space to shoving a pic off to the right out of the way? Pictures catch the eye so much easier when they're on the left.
Fast Eddie: Good topic for the forum, rather than here.
thatother 1 dude: The page image thing we'll take to the discussion page.
Haven: That was me, glad you
rliked it. :o)
Grimace: A bit of win for Tzetze for his work in cleaning up Dan Browned - rarely is it that simple hard work is appreciated here. Now, it should be said, more than a few others have made an effort in chainsawing the incorrect examples as well, and I give them crumbs of win also, but Tzetze gets the full point for putting the following as his "Reason": ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
Cassius 335: * chuckle* Which means?
Luthen: It was Cassius335 according to page history.
Cassius 335: No, not the current one. He's refferering to the caption before that, which said "It's a picture... but I wouldn't call it art." The MOW point therefore goes to Unknown Troper 126.96.36.199, not me.
Freezair For A Limited Time: Awww, I liked that old caption. It was clever. (And it's "she," beeteedubs.)
Cassius 335: I don't see the clever meself, but... * shrug*
Freezair For A Limited Time: May I ask, in Sincerity Mode, if you've truthfully played Luigi's Mansion? And if you have, have you ever used the Game Boy Horror for more than just warping back to the foyer/the stuff you have to use it for?
Cassius 335: That would be a 'no'. I take it I missed a reference?
Cassius 335: Ah,fair enough...
Malchus: I also approve of the picture choice and the caption. Although, some inane part of me thinks that those two Cylons will either kill each other or start making out... or both. Dammit, I should take a break from reading shipping tropes...
Gemmifer: From Second Gay Guy: "When a major character usually comes out of the closet or at least hinted to being inside or half way through the door but a cool dropshadow covers half his body in a alluring and mysterious style[...]" Hehe.
Dark Sasami: No snark intended -- what on earth does that mean?
Mr Death: I think it's an extension of the closet metaphor.
Gemmifer: Yes, I understand it like that too.
Real Slim Shadowen: * grabs the free hug certificate and squirrels it away, then looks longingly at his plans to make a fort out of them and realizes he's going to need to edit more*
Cassius 335: Sorry, only one coupon per customer. Didn't you read the small print?
- Now, are you sitting comfortably? Then let's begin. Once upon a time...
- "There's nothing more cool than being hugged by Torgo, but if Torgo tries to touch you in a place or in a way that makes you feel uncomfortable, DON'T EVER TRY THAT AGAIN, YOU BEAST!"
"The link to the temporary picture is located at the top of this page, first page icon from the right. "
Citizen: Haha, excellent contrast.
GG Crono: I second this MoW. And I've never even seen/read Negima!
One for the angel behind the one-word entry under Gushing About Characters You Like. The entry is: You. Huzzah for random kindnesses to strangers!
Medinoc: I don't get it... :(
Cryptic Mirror: It's the sheer randomness of it that makes it funny.
Doug S. Machina: A definite win for the page image and the caption explaining it on Bloodier and Gorier.
thatother 1 dude: Already nominated. Several times. And that's not even a joke original to that page.
Crysis features some extremely amusing bugs, but none are as awesome as the mighty Ascending Frog. By picking up a harmless frog from the ground and lofting it heavenwards, you will be awed as it proceeds into the stratosphere, unhindered by your puny gravity. Ascending Frogs can be seen in the wild in the cave immediately before the alien ship, where they cheerfully levitate, jumping vertically every time their hop animation cycles and staying that high until they hop again. Vicious brutes who shoot the noble Ascending Frog and subject it to gravity will pick the slain creature up and find it levitates above their hand, rotating slowly in righteous fury at their vile conduct and no doubt dubious sexual morals.
Guest Of Dishonour: Big thanks and good show to Space Drake for his help on the Atelier Rorona article, that page would have gotten bloody well nowhere if it wasn't for him (as I only had very basic knowledge of the game).
Meta Four: Omedalus for this bit from Anthropic Principle: "If the in-game villagers could see your hard drive, they'd realize their savior was not simply one courageous farm boy, but a veritable army of thousands of clones of said farm boy all pursuing the adventure simultaneously in some kind of creepy quantum superposition of protagonism."
Medinoc: And a point for Haven's entry.
Haven: Thanks. I'm just glad to do my job to set the record straight about this wrongfully maligned...okay I can't go on any further.
Rothul: I think that was me. Thank you!
- The Fire Nation use a giant drill as a siege weapon in Avatar: The Last Airbender. (episode title: "The Drill")
- Given that the country it's boring into is based on Imperial China, this could easily be called a real Chinese Fire Drill.
Haven: Seconded. And ouch. And seconded.
- Is it still meant to be pronounced "Sci-Fi?" This editor and everyone he knows concur that it ought to be "Siffy."
- This troper pronounces it "* sigh* Fi".
Radical Taoist: I do remember it being MoWed already; it's probably in the archives.
Fanra: A huge Made of Win for whoever put:
Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue: If you do drugs, you'll get to see your favourite cartoon stars!
in Warp That Aesop. If only it was true...
Sparkysharps: well, it could be, provided you light up while watching Boomerang.
- This troper feels that the network has gone beyond Jumping the Shark to the point of leaving the ramp, clearing twenty sharks, clearing the Atlantic, Europe, Asia, America, the sharks again and then reaching escape velocity and crashing into Pluto.
Sceboal: Aren't pages that are funny in general criticized?
Kinitawowi: It works for Worm Sign because Dune is the Trope Namer and the Most Triumphant Example. It worked less well for This Is a Drill because Tengen isn't really either, as far as I can tell (disclaimer - I've never seen it), so it looks less about tribute and more about Entry Pimping.
Real Slim Shadowen: At least one person objected to the Grappling Hook Pistol thing, as they edited Grappling Hook Pistol to suit their tastes, cutting it down to three categories out of nine, a page quote, and a fnord-style hidden reference.
Insanity Prelude: :| It's funny and it's not hurting anything. Sheesh.
Latw PIAT: I'll take half credit on the grounds that I added every example except Literature already there), Film (already there) and Real Life. Rest of credit goes to whoever completed the cycle.
Lemurian: One to the one who added the last line to this conversation:
- In a Marvel What If? comic featuring a Soviet Fantastic Four, Pym died from suffocation when Reed forced him to grow, rendering his lungs incapable of supplying enough oxygen to sustain him. Reed did this without considering the consequences, and afterward he was horrified by what he'd done.
- So what you're saying is that, in Soviet comic book, science fails you?
No, really, please do; it seems to be some organized form of Calvinball." Because... so true.
L: What I like about Cricket Rules is how the descriptions on the page gradually devolve from staid encyclopedic description into a bizarre half-nonsensical parody of English culture and demeanour in general. Now I know what you're thinking, and I am completely aware that someone will now jump in and say "No, you don't understand, that's actually how Cricket is played."
Haven: "There are exactly ten-ish ways to get the batsman out..." * head explodes*
Joysweeper: I was eating a pear when I got to "If it's raining, or just a bit cloudy, everyone goes into the pavilion and drinks tea. Occasionally, the umpires will come out, wander around the pitch a bit, decide it's still not sunny enough, and go back in." Then I was made helpless with laughter.
Madrugada: Indeed. That is masterful.
thatother 1 dude: Already nominated.
- What the Integrated Data Thought Entity, the Organization, and Mikuru's boss wants to prevent indirectly by not allowing Suzumiya Haruhi to discover her powers.
A Freddy: For a second there, I though it said Grievous Buttery Harm, which would've been sweet.
Specialist 290: But butter is kind of bland...
Malchus: I see what you did there, Freddy. Oh, by the way, no stealy my namey! ;P
- The last man on Earth sat in a room. There was a knock upon the door.
- For those curious, that's the entireity of Fredric Brown's short story Knock.
- So the last woman on earth was coming over for snuggle time?
I literally laughed out loud.
Earnest: Thank you! I have my moments. ^_~
L: Volde Mart is just the sort of terrible pun that makes entire eyebrows fall out, fetuses start crying in the womb, and grown men's urine freeze solid mid-stream. I must give it its due.
- Shyria Dracnoir: And I have to give you your due for that little bit there. Got a snicker out of me.
Niel Jacoby: I just launched it.
Niel Jacoby: For Me? Aw, banana oil. * blushes* ... Extra? I never claimed to contribute In fact, I didn't contribute. But thank you for the MOW. And sorry for the misunderstanding. Although... I did launch it, so I would technically count as a contributor. So thanks.
alliterator: To whoever added the picture of Department of Redundancy Department and included this caption: Yo dawg, heard you like tropes, so I put a trope in your trope so you can ruin your life while you ruin your life!
Ace Of Scarabs: It's a golden gag - go for platinum and make the image one of an infinitely redundant loop (Image in the image show another image with more nested inside like some demented infinite Russian Doll).
Ace Of Scarabs: Now you, too, deserve a MoW!
L: The fact that there's an ad embedded in the picture annoys me slightly.
Itsmeyouidiot: Phht, what's he gonna do, mess up our contributor pages?
thatother 1 dude: Thank you, that was me, though I didn't add the Pot Holes (at least not the first one). I put that there after reading the article when it was only a couple days old, with examples paragraphs truly proving What Do You Mean It's Not Awesome? and Minor Injury Overreaction to be Truth in Television.
Robin Zimm: I nominate Unistrut, who added to Second Life, "Loads and Loads of Loading: Going places in Second Life is like watching the mind erasure scenes from Eternal Sunshine at half speed in reverse."
Medinoc: I'm surprised that Sierra appears at all in the "by mistake" category...
Inkblot: The Sierra folder was my idea, but the phrase itself came from Korora (and had already gotten a MoW). I'll trim it down so it's a bit less of an eyesore.
Haven: Don't worry about it, I just said that for the meme.
Thinks Too Much: I feel guilty about nominating something for TV Tropes Made of Win Archive so soon after the last time, but couldn't resist the following. Do bother to read all of it.
* Loads shotgun, shogun gun, ninja gun, samurai gun, pirate gun, robot gun, shojarairatebot gun, B B gun, bee bee gun, hornet hornet gun, yellow jacket yellow jacket gun, sword gun, gun sword, gun gun, regular grenades, flash grenades, fire grenades, bee grenades, hornet grenades, yellow jacket grenades, plasma grenades, grenade grenades, gun grenades, and pepper spray* .
That is from the real life by the way.
Of course, some suspect there are other reasons why Megatron doesn't just shoot Starscream more often...
L: For those that don't get it, the joke is that it means "Hollywood-style California" (as per Hollywood Homely) as well as "Hollywood, California". Subtle, subtle.
Cassius 335: The trouble is that if people try to do orginal names, other people complain because they don't get it.
Medinoc: It's not only on Mars, you know... There is one on Earth too.
Enlong: Yes, but the martian one is the only one that's actually called "Olympus Mons" by English speakers. We call the other one "Mount Olympus". A slight difference, but there ya go.
Dark Sasami: If there weren't one on Earth, there wouldn't be one on Mars. But anyway, that was me. Thanks!
schpeelah: I think it's the martian Olympus Mons being referenced b/c it's the largest mountain in the Solar System some 20 km I believe.
Passing Lurker: Do Issac Asimov's sideburns qualify as a real-life example?
I am everything you want, I am everything you need,
—Vertical Horizon, Everything You Want
March 30, 1968: Celine Dion is born. We're sorry.
Thinks Too Much: One for whoever made the following entries under You Know You Read Too Much All the Tropes When... (the part about your iPod playlist titles.)
Oh, and a note of thanks to whoever made Sliding Scale Long Name an alternate title for... I'm not typing it.
A Mere Servant Of God: Yeah, well, maybe we don't wanna cut and paste, huh?! Maybe we're already cutting and pasting something, huh?! Maybe some of us prefer to type, but don't want to type that much, you think?! AND MAYBE THE FISH COCKTAIL WITH A SIDE OF CANADIAN KITTENS ON A TUESDAY THAT CAN'T SHAVE ITSELF WITHOUT THIS BABY UNTIL YOU FALL DOWN OFF A SKYSCRAPER AND BREAK YOUR FALL WITH YOUR ENORMOUS CREDENZA YOU SPOONY BARD!!! MELOMIE IN THE MORNING SUN GRASHALK TIM TANGERS AND THEIR ZOOB-ZOOBLERS AND EVEN MORE KITTENS CHUCK NORRIS SAUCE AND THEN THE UNIVERSE EXPLODES!!!!!
- MUDA DA! MUDAMUDAMUDAMUDAMUDAMUDAMUDAMUDA! ZA WARUDO! Toki wa tomare! (kaching! swish-swish-swish) Soshite toki wa ugokidasu. (stabstabstabstabstabstabstabstabstabstabstab) ROAD ROLLER DA! KERTHUD! WRYYYYYY!
K.o.R: Woo! My first actual MoW that wasn't nuked the second I got it!
Whoever put the Saturn V picture on the Crowning Moment of Awesome page, thank you. It's perfect.
A Mere Servant Of God: Seconded. And, just in case it's possible for one person to do it, I'll third it too.
Shay Guy: I love that tag.
Cidolfas: And, unfortunately, someone has gone and made the joke much more obtruse. (It used to just have a - as the source of the quote). Too lazy to change it back, though, and not interested in an edit war.
Curtmack: To Servitor_2152, for the image caption on Ocular Gushers.
Paul A: The third paragraph of Superhero Paradox (by Meta 4, I think?) is Made of Win. I read "But underneath the surface, the real cause of this is a cabal of extradimensional intelligences", and laughed. Then I read the rest of the sentence...
Inkblot: That was...quick. Thanks, though!
Haven: Glad you like it!
whitetigah: One to Unknown Troper @ 188.8.131.52 for taking the lines I've been stealthily adding over the past few weeks to Suzumiya Haruhi (all repetitions of "Kyon-kun, denwa~ / We've entered an endless recursion of time" but the first one) and adding the potholes.
Count Dorku: One to LL Smooth J (and anyone else involved; I don't have time to check all of them) for all of the Laconic descriptions of the "You Fail X Forever" tropes. For anyone who hasn't seen them, each one basically goes,
SUBJECT DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY!
ROBRAM 89: I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but the existence of The Pen Is Mightier (see the real page, The Pen Is Mightier) is hilarious. It's too bad An Album Cover is too vague to make a trope out of.
Johnny E: Personally I want to see a Psycho Therapist trope, just for the options Psycho Therapist and Psycho Therapist. Or perhaps just go for the Arrested Development Shout-Out with "Analrapist" (a cross between an analyst and a therapist, of course). Oh, and there's now a 1 Fun With Wiki Words forum game by the way.
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found