|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
OHNO! LYLE'S KITTY HAS BEEN STOLENED
AND NOW HE MUST JOURNEY THROUGH THE
WONKED OUT LANDS OF THE CUBESECTOR TO
RETRIEVE HIS MEOWMEOW COMPANION!
Lyle In Cube Sector is a freeware Metroidvania made in 2006 that plays like a cross between Super Metroid and Super Mario Bros. 2. You work with cubes. With the right upgrades, you can throw them at enemies, use them to propel yourself higher, and make them materialize in your hands. You must use these abilities skillfully in the cube sector to find your cat.
Available for download here.
This work contains the following tropes:
- Breaking Out: The second boss.
- Collision Damage: Wait for cubes to stop bouncing before you touch them.
- The latest version makes bouncing cubes harmless.
- Drought Level of Doom: The gauntlet before the last boss, it has one HP and CP powerup each at the very end. If you enter the next room and immediately turn back, these will respawn.
- Excuse Plot
- Grimy Water: Green toxic waste will kill you instantly, as opposed to the red lava.
- Ground Pound: The final boss uses these.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice:
Caution: Large Pointy Thing
- Improbable Weapon User
- Item Get: You get a brief description of what you can do with an item.
- Insurmountable Waist-Height Fence: Why can't Lyle climb over the blocks he would otherwise have to kick?
- Because his head is too big to fit through the gap.
- Kick The Cat
- Nintendo Hard
- Spikes of Doom
- Weird American Thing
- With This Herring
- Video Game Cruelty Punishment: Don't attack the cow or the baby bird any more than is necessary to get their respective powerups. They fight back.