|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
A semi-autobiographical horror novel, detailing Bret Easton Ellis' rise to fame and the fictional story of his second-tier movie star wife and their experiences in a suburban house that may be haunted... It's also a partial sequel to American Psycho and an homage to The Shining.
Contains the following tropes:
- As Himself: The book is narrated in first person by Bret Easton Ellis, the successful writer of American Psycho and other novels. At the beginning, it sounds autobiographical, but then completely descends to fiction.
- Abusive Parents: Bret's father certainly was one, and he fears going down a similar path.
- Book Within A Book: The book that Bret is writing, entitled Teenage Pussy.
- Bi the Way: This is a Bret Easton Ellis novel...
- Crap Saccharine World: The world of Lunar Park is much less of a downer than the rest of Ellis' works, but it still sucks. Aside from the implied police state that is going on in the rest of the country, the main setting of Lunar Park is an upscale Stepford Suburbia filled with Political Correctness Gone Mad and a wave of missing child cases.
- Downer Ending: Still lighter than Lovecraft.
- It Got Worse: Terrorist attacks, Keanu Reeves, nationwide disappearances of pre-teen boys, a haunted house, and a local serial killer patterning his crimes on American Psycho. These things are merely a pretext to whats to come.
- I Have Many Names: "Clayton"...
- Post Modernism
- Sitcom Arch Nemesis: In the first chapter, Keanu Reeves.
- Twenty Minutes Into the Future: Suicide bombings at Wal-Marts are commonplace.