|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
The series begins with Chester "Ace" Bernstein (Dustin Hoffman) being released from prison, with his record meaning he can no longer own a racehorse. But he just gets his bodyguard Gus to buy one for him, and prepares to use the winnings to establish a casino nearby. Also, a quartet of self-described degenerate gamblers have figured out a new way to play the odds that could mean endless riches, and the drama between a new jockey, his agent, and his boss adds to our view of what goes on behind the scenes of the sport that makes the whole thing tick.
The series was cancelled after one season due to a series of high-profile horse injuries/deaths.
This series provides examples of:
- Badass Grandpa / Beware the Nice Ones: Gus "the Greek" seems like an easygoing guy, then he disarms a hitman and kills him with nothing but his bare hands in the last episode.
- Fiery Redhead: Subverted in that Rossie can be quite demure, except when she's riding in a horse race.
- The Gambling Addict: Gerry is a successful horse handicapper, but still feels the need to blow his winnings on poker.
- No Ending: The series finale doesn't really wrap any of the plotlines up to any degree, and the show was unexpectadly canceled due to the number of horse deaths.
- Pet the Dog: Turo is a pretty big asshole through the first half of the series, but he mellows out a little after taking an at-risk boy under his wing.
- Professional Gambler: The four amigos seem to have no other job besides betting on horses.
- The Unintelligible: A common complaint about the show was that many characters are unintelligible due to thick accents, stuttering, mumbling, and being Nick Nolte.