|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Would you love a monsterman
Could you understand
beauty of the beast
A Finnish hard rock band formed in 1996, they are best known for wearing monster costumes on and off of the stage. They won the Eurovision 2006 contest with their single "Hard Rock Hallelujah", which also broke the contests' current record. Their music is inspired by Kiss, which also led to them performing in costume.
- Get Heavy - 2002
- The Monsterican Dream - 2004
- The Arockalypse - 2006
- Deadache - 2008
- Babez for Breakfast - 2010
Current Line Up:
- Kita - Drums
- Enary - Keyboard
- Kalma - Bass
- Magnum - Bass
- G-Stealer - Bass
- Otus - Drums (Passed away on Feb. 14, 2012)
This band exhibits the following tropes:
- Album Title Drop: In "Hard Rock Hallelujah"
- "It's the Arockalypse!"
- In "Blood Red Sandman", Lordi sings "No one leaves/The Monsterican Dream".
- All Drummers Are Animals: And the rest of the band too.
- All There in the Manual: The backstories of the stage personas.
- Alter Ego Acting: The members of Lordi are never referred to by their real names in authorized works, and only give interviews in full costume, in English as opposed to their native Finnish.
- Slightly played with with Mr. Lordi himself, who has occasionally given interviews out of costume and in Finnish - but always with his back to the camera: this is mostly because he has a heavy northern Finnish accent.
- Subverted when Otus' real name (Tonmi Lillman) was revealed after his death.
- An Axe to Grind: Mr. Lordi is usually sporting an axe in the stage shows.
- Buxom Is Better: Why hello there, Enary!
- Chainsaw Good: "Chainsaw Buffet"
- Comic Book Adaptation: Three Lordi graphic novels have been released in Finland.
- Cover Version: Covers of Alice Cooper's "He's Back (The Man Behind the Mask)" and Accept's "Midnight Mover" have been performed live. They also made a cover of "Autiotalo"/"The House" by Finnish band Dingo.
- Creepy Child: The little girl from the first music video of Would You Love a Monsterman, albeit only for her Glowing Eyes of Doom at the end.
- The Devil Is a Loser: Trope Namer
- Heavy Meta: "Bringing Back the Balls to Rock" and "This is Heavy Metal".
- Heavy Mithril
- Helicopter Flyswatter: The intro to "Arockalypse" is a spoken news bulletin about a zombie invasion, including a snippet from a reporter who gets knocked out of the sky by a monster climbing a building.
- I'm a Humanitarian: "Chainsaw Buffet"
- Kayfabe Music: What do you mean, "people in monster suits"?
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: One of them is supposedly a school teacher.
- Metal Scream
- No Export for You: The albums before The Arockalypse pretty much have to be sent for, including, funnily enough, The Monsterican Dream. Recently averted after they toured Ozzfest, as Get Heavy and The Monsterican Dream can be found in the U.S. with a little effort.
- Perky Goth: The star of the "Hard Rock Hallelujah" music video.
- The Power of Rock: In a lot of their music videos, they can rock hard enough to raise the dead.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: "To Hell With Pop" basically amounts to one of these.
- Rock Opera: "This is...the Arockalypse!"
- Shout-Out / Song of Song Titles: Quite a bit in "Bringing Back the Balls to Rock". Mostly to Kiss.
- "Bringing Back The Balls to Rock" is actually riddled with Shout Outs. The lyrics mention: "Monsters of Rock" and "Breaking The Law", two Judas Priest songs; "SMF" (Twisted Sister); "Metal Heart" (Accept); Love Machine (Wasp); "Looks That Kill" (Motley Crue); "Youth Gone Wild" (Skid Row); "Creatures Of The Night" (KISS); plus the Black Sabbath allusion mentioned above. And if you really want to get that deep, the expression "Stand Up And Shout" is the title of a Dio song, and, well, any metalhead when hearing an anthem about "balls" immediately thinks of "Balls To The Wall" (Accept).
- There are also shoutouts to horror movies like "Army of Darkness" ("The Deadite Girls Gone Wild") and other subjects like the song "Deadache" about serial killer Ed Gein.
- Blood Red Sandman's music video is best summed up as one giant tribute to Evil Dead.
- The cover of the "Beast Loose In Paradise" isn't "like" the cover of the KISS alblum Creatures Of The Night, it IS the cover, just with the faces of this band instead.
- The bassist, OX, derived his costume (minotaur) and stage name from John Entwistle's nickname, "the Ox".
- Signature Song: "Would You Love a Monsterman", "Devil is a Loser" and "Hard Rock Hallelujah".
- Stage Names
- The Movie: Dark Floors, a horror movie starring the cast of Lordi was released in 2008.
- Also a short film called The Kin was released four years prior with the same gimmick.
- This Is Sparta: "HARD! ROCK! HALLELUJAH!"
- Title of the Dead: "Night of the Loving Dead"