|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Lone Star State of Mind is a 2002 film starring Joshua Jackson. Jesus 'Earl' Crest, named so after his father of a pastor was convinced that his son was the second coming, traveled with his father from place to place trying to preach to the sinful and degenerate. This resulted in a chair being busted over his father's head and Earl receiving a rude awakening in that no, he can't really heal the sick and wasn't the messiah.
Years later, and he lives with his mother, step-father, and step-sister. His step-sister, Baby, is his girlfriend, and they were dating before his mother and her father had even met, so they view it as okay in their book. His best friend is Gay Cowboy Jimbo, who he works with as an auto-mechanic. On dating Baby, Earl promises to look after her idiot of a cousin Junior, who robbed a drug dealer. With his father's killer released, the drug dealers wanting their product back, the buyers of the drugs wanting the product as well, Earl has a rather interesting week ahead of him.
This film contains examples of:
- Amusing Injuries: Junior and Tinker receive a lot of these, as does Earl to a lesser extent.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Baby seems sweet and rather ditzy, but if you try to harm Earl, you are in for a world of pain.
- Big Eater: Sheriff Andy.
- Butt Monkey: Junior and Tinker.
- Car Fu: Baby knows how to use it.
- Catch Phrase: Junior's is "I'm not stupid, you're stupid!"
- Eagle Land: An odd mixture of Type 1 and Type 2, as Earl, Baby, and Jimbo are clearly Type 1s, but the first two are having an incestuous relationship and Jimbo is an out homosexual. Whereas Junior and Tinker are clearly Type 2 rednecks who everybody else in town wishes would go away.
- Deus Ex Machina: Earl would be dead if the man who killed his dad hadn't been there to shoot the last bad guy.
- Dumb Blonde: Baby to an extent.
- Everything Is Big in Texas: The film takes place in rural Texas, and seems to be both showing the virtues and drawbacks of that kind of life.
- Fingore: Earl and Junior find out the hard way that not having the money to pay back leads to this.
- Flirty Stepsiblings: Earl and Baby.
- Gay Cowboy: Jimbo. He's polite as can be, good with a shotgun, and rather worried about keeping his mechanic uniform clean. Also looking for a date the entire film.
- Generic Ethnic Crime Gang: The gang that Tinker tried to sell the drugs to.
- Gilligan Cut: Tinker and Junior are fighting before an armed robbery.
Tinker: Junior there ain't no way I'm wearing a maxi-pad for a mask!" Cut to the scene of the robbery.
- Groin Attack: Junior forgot to turn on the safety to his pistol when holstering it in his pants.
- Hello Again, Officer: Earl runs into Sheriff Andy every time something is going wrong.
- Hunting the Most Dangerous Game: Out of Clay Pigeons, no problem, use your failed lackey.
- I Just Shot Marvin in the Face: Junior, once he gets his hands on a gun.
- It Works Better with Bullets: In a variation on this, when Earl knocks Tinker unconscious and searches his place, he's smart enough to locate and secure a gun Tinker had hidden. Tinker is not pleased to discover this when he goes to get the gun to shoot Earl (just as Earl expected he would).
- Never Heard That One Before: Earl and Baby have this reaction toward incest jokes about their relationship (and how it makes them hicks).
- Not Blood Siblings: The specific reason why Earl and Baby aren't Squicky when dating, not that Junior and Tinker don't like to give them crap about it.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: The ending suggests that Sheriff Andy may have been practicing this.
- Only a Flesh Wound: Earl gets shot at least three times throughout the movie, and at worst, he needs a twelve hour nap to go back to business as usual.
- Only Sane Man: Earl.
- Police Are Useless: Part of the reason Earl has to do everything himself.
- Sexy Shirt Switch: Baby ends up wearing nothing but Earl's jersey at one point.
- Stab the Scorpion: The man who killed Earl's father has been following him in order to apologize and make amends, and ultimately saves his life.
- Straight Gay: Jimbo.
- Stupid Crooks: Junior and Tinker, to a T.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Sheriff Andy, even if he seems like a bit of an idiot.
- You Have Failed Me: Again, this is how the villain, Mr. Smith, deals with failed lackeys.