|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
An independent film made in 2009, Lo is first and foremost a love story. Albeit, a love story with demons, infernal pacts and demonology books. A loner named Justin falls in love with a quirky girl named April. She is kidnapped by demons, and leaves behind a book. Looking for any clue to save April, he finds a bookmark, showing how to summon a demon named Lo. So he does. Enter Lo.
Notable for taking place entirely in one room and remaining gripping despite the fact.
This film contains examples of:
- Affably Evil: Lo, Jeez, arguably all the demonic characters.
- Alternate Character Interpretation: Arguably the point of the film.
- Berserk Button: Lo's illusions progress until Justin believes the entire legions of hell are laughing at him. He snaps like a fucking twig.
- Chekhov's Gun: Jeez first appears while holding a copy of The Tragical History of Doctor Faustus. Also, the Bookmark in the Book, marking the page on how to summon Lo.
- Foe Yay: Justin and Lo have a bit early on. And a lot later on.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: April. Definitely April.
- I Lied: It was poison! AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
- Mortal Wound Reveal: April.
- Shout-Out: to The Tragical History of the Life and Death of Doctor Faustus.
- Sophisticated As Hell: Jeez dresses extremely formally but talks kinda like a fancy stoner.
Jeez: Dude. Dude.
- Lo also has shades of this, switching between ominous archaic English and crass, slurred ramblings.
- Tear Jerker
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Most of the movie is Lo doing this to Justin. Justin turns it around on him at the end.
- The Reveal: April and Lo are the same entity.
- Took a Level In Badass: Justin. I am your master. You are my dog.
- What Do You Mean It's Not Awesome?: The flashbacks are told in the form of Vaudeville style performances, and Plot Exposition is administered-IN SONG!