|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Life In A Game is an internet web series that primarily parodies video games of all types.
The story centers on Guy, who wakes up one day to find out that he's in a Video Game. Worse yet, he's the main character, which means he's being harassed by boss characters like The Jackal. At first, he tries running away, but soon he decides to go ahead with it. He's joined by Subplott, a prince who was deposed by Lollerskates, and by Frog, who mentors and berates him, usually at the same time, and he runs into parodies and pastiches of various other characters along the way.
Also on the site is a Web Comic chronicling the adventures of Team 1337 before Guy joins up with them, and The Video Game Reporter, a series of news articles lampshading, parodying, and attempting to justify all the Acceptable Breaks From Reality common in video games.
The series is currently at the end of its first season. A Flash based Gaiden Game is currently in development.
- Awesome Moment of Crowning - Subplott eventually retakes his kingdom...but not for long.
- Clipped-Wing Angel - Lollerskates's ultimate form is.....himself. With an incredibly obvious target on his chest and with Dan's moves.
- Deus Angst Machina - Parodied with Subplott's backstory: He finds out he's a prince, but then an evil wizard brainwashes his father, the king, killed his uncle, kidnapped his sister, Zelda, and banished him, then, to top it off, erased Subplott's Pokedex.
- The Force - The Hax, it's what Guy taps into for his special powers.
- Fair Weather Mentor - Frog takes it straight into Jerkass territory.
- Forgotten Superweapon: The X-Strike.
- Heroic RROD - A very literal version, where Lollerskates uses an actual Red Ring Of Death to block Master Chief from participating in his showdown with Guy and Subplott.
- Massive Multiplayer Crossover - The Game in which Guy finds himself is inhabited by characters from just about any game series you can care to think of, from Kirby to Halo.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: The whole reason that Guy had to go on his quest? Dude (a volunteer for Liag: The Game) turned off his tracking field while testing, so he could not be pulled back out, and neither could Guy. Whoops.
- Only Sane Man - Guy a lot of the time, but best exemplified in Episode 6-2.
- Player Punch - Subplott's death at the hands of the Blue Jackal, itself an homage to a certain other Plotline Death.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge - Guy, after beating Mecha Jackal, goes on one of these in retaliation for Subplott's death. Gendo and company are understandably unamused.
- Rule of Three - Lampshaded in the final battle with Lollerskates, where all it takes is three shots to his weakpoint to finish him off.
- Shoot Em Ups - Episode 4-2, in an extended homage/parody of Star Fox.
- Soul Brotha - And let's just say the Master Chief is a little different here, as well.
- Shout-Out- Uh, Gendo Ikari anyone?
- Literally, at this point, with the hired help refering to him as such. The character in question is arguably an Captain Ersatz of Gendo, complete with attitude. And Episode Zero reveals his full name to be a double Shout-Out: Gendo Atari.
- Also, "We don't serve your kind in here!" Also a Throw It In.
- Solve the Soup Cans - Parodied in 6-2, where Subplott mixes random items to get even more random items while Guy watches in confusion.
- Over 9- ...teen: "Cause nineteen is pretty high up there, right?"