|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Last Clear Chance is a 1959 Glurge-fest brought to you by Union Pacific, that shows just how stupid people get around trains.
A police officer obsessed with with train safety torments an innocent mid-western farm family, holding them hostage while he rattles off tales of railroad-related horrors, even confronting their youngest son with the horrible image of his deceased friend. Ultimately, for reasons of his own, he finally relents, but has his grim lesson sunk in, or will innocent people die this day at the hands of our mortal enemy, the train? (Answer: Yes.)
Last Clear Chance contains examples of these tropes:
- Could This Happen to You?
- Downer Ending
- Failed a Spot Check
- Jump Scare: "Now where did THAT train come from?"
- Nightmare Fuel Station Attendant: Trooper Hal.
- Too Dumb to Live: Hey, look! Someone's desperately gesturing to look directly ahead of us at the oncoming train! Let's wave back!
- Truth in Television: People do all these things and more around railroad crossings, even to this day. Operation Lifesaver exists for a reason.
- Wham! Line: "Why don't they look?"