|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
With rising unemployment, it's perhaps time for a throwback to the 1980s.
La Roux (Elly Jackson and Ben Langmaid, the former doing the singing) are a British group who are very much "Best Newcomer" at present.
Their style is best described as electro-pop and they have currently released one album, La Roux. Two of the tracks have been released as singles:
- "In for the Kill". UK number # 2.
- "Bulletproof". UK number # 1 and straight in too. This was even more surprising considering it was released on the week of the death of Michael Jackson.
An earlier single "Quicksand" barely bothered the charts.
Not to be confused with Le Roux, a country-rock band from the '70s (sometimes referred to as Louisiana's Le Roux).
This band contains examples of:
- Anime Hair: Though it hasn't quite reached Memetic Mutation status yet, Elly's hair has its following.
- If you need any more proof, just look at the beginning of the I'm Not Your Toy video. She takes a dip in a pool, and there's not a hair out of place.
- British Accents: Elly's singing voice keeps a rather strong one.
- Eighties Hair
- Even the Girls Want Her: I mean, come on.
- Garfunkel: Ben Langmaid.
- The Ghost: Ben Langmaid doesn't appear all that much.
- Hold Me: "Cover My Eyes"
- Meaningful Name / Bilingual Bonus: The name "La Roux" is a French name for a red-haired girl.
- That would be "la rousse." Elly Jackson stated she likes the mixing of the feminine article "la" with the masculine "-x" ending because she herself is androgynous.
- Odd Friendship: Elly Jackson with Kanye West
- Recycled in Space: Some see them as a Cyberpunk Eurythmics.
- Redheaded Stepchild
- Surreal Music Video: All of them. Best example is probably "I'm Not Your Toy", which prominently features some kind of cyberpunk watermelon-ish head thing.