|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
L.M. (Lucy Maud) Montgomery was a Canadian author best known for her Anne of Green Gables series.
Works by L.M. Montgomery with their own pages:
Tropes found in other works:
- Actually, That's My Assistant
- Children Are Innocent / Children Are Special: Most prominently found in Magic For Marigold.
- Cute Mute: Kilmeny, from Kilmeny of the Orchard, has been secluded and sheltered for all of her life, and retains a childlike simplicity.
- Feminine Women Can Cook: Almost all of her heroines have some talent at housekeeping and cooking. Justified, as they are all of a social class and era when cooking would be in a woman's basic skill set.
- Jane in particular takes to cooking like a duck to water, feeding both herself and her father, even though she was never allowed to cook before. She does prudently buy a cookbook first, and donuts defeat her.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Montgomery frequently revisits the character of the widowed mother who is fanatically attached to her only begotten son, and fiercely jealous of any romantic attachments in his life.
- Growing Up Sucks: This trope hits Marigold Lesley hardest. She completely loses her ability to imagine Sylvia, her dear imaginary friend.
- The Matchmaker: "The Education Of Betty"
- Matchmaker Crush: "The Education of Betty"
- Orphan's Ordeal: Anne. Emily. For starters. And there's a whole book of short stories (Akin to Anne) dedicated to nothing but orphan's ordeals.
- The Penance
- The Promise: Treated very darkly in Kilmeny of the Orchard. Kilmeny's aunt and uncle fervently believe her muteness is owed to a vow of silence taken by her mother during her pregnancy, to never speak another word to the father that rejected her. Even when her father lay dying and asked his daughter to speak one word of reconciliation, Kilmeny's mother refused. She didn't speak a word until after her baby's birth, when she broke down sobbing.
- Race For Your Love: "Here Comes the Bride"
- Real Name as an Alias: "The Pot and the Kettle"
- The Speechless: Kilmeny.
- The Storyteller: Emily is the most prominent.
- Wife Husbandry: "The Education of Betty" By accident.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Pat of Silver Bush, to name one.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.