|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
Sakura Manabe is a 16-year-old high school student and is living with her 12-year-old sister Momiji and her 27-year-old sister Botan, who works to support the three of them. Their 19-year-old brother Kashiwa has been away at college for two years and has suddenly decided to come back to live with them. However, when Kashiwa arrives, Sakura and the others discover that Kashiwa is not a guy but a trans woman, and she has returned home to start working on her gender reassignment treatment. So from now on, the Manabes have to cope with the new reality of having another sister, which won't be easy on either of the four girls...
Kyou Kara Yonshimai (きょうから四姉妹, Four Sisters Starting Today) is a 3-volume Seinen manga by author Nanki Saitou and artist Akira Kizuki, published in 2013 and 2014. It treats Transsexuality in a more mature way than usual.
- Armor-Piercing Question: Momiji pulls this on Uozumi, after she overhears him talking to Sakura and realizes that he knows Kashiwa is a trans-woman.
"What are you gonna do, now that you know Kashiwa's secret? Can you look at everything with unclouded eyes and decide what to do?!"
- Big Breasts, Big Deal: Sakura is quite well-stacked for her age, and quite awkward about it. On the other hand Kashiwa stuffs her bra with quite big Fake Boobs.
- Big Sibling Worship: Sakura had this for Kashiwa in childhood, and she's quite conflicted when she shows up as a woman. Still, when Uozumi refers to Kashiwa as "selfish" and "disgusting" she calls him out on insulting her and runs off, and little by little they start to rekindle their bond.
- Big Sister Instinct: Kashiwa has always been protective of Sakura. From willingly taking "penalty game"'s kale juice so she wouldn't have to, to telling off her potential boyfriend Uozumi when she believes he's broken her heart and giving him quite the verbal lashing in front of Sakura when he returns and claims to have fallen in love with her, which Kashiwa thinks it's irresponsible and shallow on top of hurtful to Sakura.. . .
- Bratty Teenage Daughter: Sakura and Momiji.
- Coming of Age Story: For Sakura, who has to learn to be less awkward and self-centered as here life changes.
- Coming Out Story: For Kashiwa, who has come back home to start properly focusing on transition AND to be honest about it with her sisters. (Plus save up on living expenses.)
- Cool Big Sis: Kashiwa desperately tries to be this to Sakura, since they were really close before she began transitioning and she doesn't want to lose it now that Sakura has trouble adapting to that.
- Cut Himself Shaving: At some point, Botan arrives home with a bruise on her cheek and says she was playing dodgeball with her co-workers and got hit. In reality, her lover Hatori accidentally struck her across the face when he was trying to hold on her and convince her not to leave him. Sakura and Momiji buy the excuse, but Kashiwa does not.
- Does Not Like Men: Momiji only likes 2-D guys, and it takes her a while to accept Kashiwa's transition because "he" used to be the only RL "guy" she was okay with.
- Easy Sex Change: Nope. The surgery and treatments that Kashiwa needs are all expensive as fuck, so she has to return home to start saving up...
- Four-Girl Ensemble: Sakura is a troubled Tomboy, Momiji is an anti-social Otaku / Gamer Chick, Botan is the mom-like one and Kashiwa attempts to be the friendly one plus mom-like as well.
- Girlish Pigtails: Momiji
- Green-Eyed Monster: Sakura admits later that she's really jealous of Kashiwa, since she has become really cute and feminine. Kashiwa, on the other hand, says she's jealous of Sakura because she was born a girl from the start.
- Headphones Equal Isolation: Momiji, and questioning it is her Berserk Button.
- He Is Not My Boyfriend: Sakura says this about Uozumi when Kashiwa goes Big Sister Instinct mode about him.
- Humans Are Flawed - It's All About Me - Selfish Good: A big theme in the story is that the sisters are good people, but can be extremely self-centered: Sakura wants to experience romance but doesn't exactly give anything in return, Momiji closes herself off in her Otaku world, Kashiwa wants to erase her pre-transition life completely, and Botan is a married guy's lover.. So their selfish sides arise often and cause problems...
- Lap Pillow: Kashiwa and Kasumi.
- Love Hurts: It does, and how.
- Meaningful Name - Theme Naming: At first sight, the Manabe sisters are supposed to be named after trees and flowers: Botan (peony), Kashiwa (Japanese Emperor Oak), Sakura (Cherry Blossoms) and Momiji (Japanese maple). According to the the authors' notes, however, they're supposed to symbolize meat cuts (Botan = wild boar, Sakura = horse, Kashiwa = chicken and Momiji = venison), while their surname Manabe alludes to hot pot, which gathers delicious meat pieces of several kinds.
- Meganekko: Both Botan and Momiji
- Not What It Looks Like: In an attempt to help Uozumi get rid of his conflicted feelings for Kashiwa, Momiji has him sneak into the Manabe home. They end up sneaking into the bath room... when Sakura is taking a bath. This trope takes place, alongside Shower of Awkward.
- Promotion to Parent: Botan has had to raise her sisters ever since their mom died and their dad ran off. Then she runs off too, after her sisters meddle a bit too much in her life and she cannot take it anymore. But at the very end, the other three girls get a phone call that is all but shouted to be from her...
- Sailor Fuku: Sakura's school uses this uniform.
- Slice of Life
- Stepford Smiler: Sakura and Kashiwa once talk about Botan and how she's always composed and calm. Kashiwa believes that she's this, however, and speculates that Botan has "given up on things". She's proved right.
- Supreme Chef - Team Chef: Kashiwa is a pretty good cook, and Sakura comes up with the idea of having her in charge of all the cooking (plus housework) in the Manabe household in exchange for not paying up living expenses.
- Team Mom: Botan is technically this, but Kashiwa tries to be too. Kashiwa has to definitely step in when Botan leaves the family.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Botan gives her sisters quite a big one, in a complete Tranquil Fury mood, when the girls go to her boss' home and give him Hell for supposedly keeping her as The Mistress (Her lover is another guy from the same workplace). And accidentally uncovering the old man's affair with someone else. In front of his wife and kid. She then tells her sisters exactly how many things she gave up to raise them for more than 10 years, and she leaves the family that same night.
- Transsexual: Kashiwa Manabe is a trans woman, and her struggles plus her sisters' are portrayed rather realistically.
- This is discussed between Kashiwa and her girlfriend Kasumi Kujirai, who's conflicted over "the operation" and its repercusions. on one hand Kasumi says it'll make a prospect marriage more difficult, while on the other the idea of Kashiwa stopping the transition process solely for her makes her feel horribly guilty. They decide to break up and be Amicable Exes, but at the very end they meet up and Kasumi says she's re-thought the deal and wants to be with Kashiwa anyway.
- Tsundere: Sakura, and how.
- Your Cheating Heart: Botan is her co-worker Hatori's lover, and she wants to stay as such even when she's aware Hatori will never really leave his wife.