|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
"Count the tropes! Save, collect, trade for swell prizes!"
Kyon: Big Damn Hero is the result of creating a crossover between Haruhi Suzumiya and TV Tropes. It starts with an In Medias Res prologue and moving swiftly on to an Anachronic Arc before finally settling into as chronological an order as possible when a Stable Time Loop shows up every few chapters.
First featured on the Haruhi fanfic recommendations page.
As for the plot, it started with Haruhi being told about her powers in order to save Nagato. Then came time travel, breaking up crime rings, a harem plot, Higurashi characters and a subplot involving a Slider and the Sky Canopy Dominion.
Is it worth mentioning that the series also frequently mentions much of the cast being fans of the Trope-tan anime?
The story consists of 12 arcs:
- Obligatory Anachronic Order Explanation (2 Chapters)
- Straightforward Flashback and Exposition (3 Chapters)
- Heroic Antics Begin (5 chapters)
- Filler (4 chapters)
- Fanservice (4 Chapters)
- Gearing Up (5 Chapters)
- Initial Conflict (5 Chapters)
- Thwarted Lull (5 Chapters)
- Calm Before The Storm (5 Chapters)
- Storm Begins (5 Chapters)
- Open Battle (7 Chapters)
- Laying Low (6 Chapters)
- Resolution (6 Chapters)
- Alliances and Enemies (1 Chapter)
Due to negative reception on Fanfiction.net (for his opinions, not his works) the author's website will be the only source for new chapters. Chapters up to number 44 (Open Battle Arc, Chapter 1) can be found on Fanfiction.net.
A fan-made timeline can be found here.
There is a character sheet for more details (under construction). Please add character-specific tropes there, unless they apply to several characters or can fit in the main article fine.
Remember to add future examples on the pages being linked to.
- Acceptable Breaks From Reality: Subverted. Kyon raised his PDA to take a picture of some police officers while invisible in Calm Before The Storm Chapter 1. To his surprise, it made an audible click, because all cellphones and cameras are required to make a sound in Japan, ostensibly to make things harder for voyeurs. It nearly blew his cover.
- Played straight with the NPA, who act more like the United States FBI than the real NPA because it makes a better story.
- Action Prologue: The prologue.
- Actor Allusion: When discussing Lucky Star Taniguchi mentions that Konata's voice creeps him out for some reason--most likely because it's so similar to Haruhi's.
- Similarly, in "Epileptic Plot Tree", Haruhi bites the head off a chocolate cornet (whichever end that might be).
- Adaptation Decay: In-universe example. A Broken Base of Trope-tan formed due to the second season of the anime adaptation because it diverged from the manga a lot, according to Haruhi in Thwarted Lull Chapter 4.
- Adults Are Useless: Kyon's parents.
- Affectionate Gesture to the Head: Kyon tousles his little sister's hair pretty much whenever he sees her.
- After-School Cleaning Duty
- AI Is a Crapshoot: Kyon fears that his new PDA could become Skynet after Yuki said that it was capable of learning and that it was formed from remnants of Ryoko's data. However, this doesn't stop him from naming the device exactly that.
- Amusing Injuries: Among other things, Achakura has been drowned (by Yuki) and hit across the room (by Yuki) within two chapters. She is nothing more than data, so it's somewhat justified.
- Alien Invasion: In Michikyuu Kanae's backstory, it's the reason she started sliding through universes.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Kanae and several other nameless girls at the school while Kyon happens to be in 'delinquent mode'.
- Mikuru, on the other hand, prefers 'domestic mode'.
- All Part of the Show: See Bavarian Fire Drill below.
- All Just a Dream: Inverted in Thwarted Lull arc 2 with Kanae, who doesn't realize she was awake until after she kisses Kyon.
- Anachronic Order: The Anachronic Order Explanation arc.
- Ancestral Weapon: The hilt of Kyon's Laser Blade was used by one of his ancestors (Usui Sadamitsu/Taira no Tadamichi to be precise).
- Answer Cut: The In Medias Res Prologue includes, among other things, Kyon being attacked by Asakura Ryouko, having possession of a lot of supernatural tools his canon counterpart doesn't have and Haruhi not batting much of an eye to Kyon's admission Asakura is an humanoid interface like Yuki. At some point after that Kyon asks himself "It started off such a nice day, too. How had it come to this, anyway...?". Cue scene change to the first non-prologue scene. The storyline after this point then continues... 40+ chapters later.
- Arranged Marriage: Tsuruya and Kyon realize it  in Initial Conflict Chapter 5. The marriage part of the trope is justified by the parents as beneficial because both families used to be extremely powerful a millennium ago. Disregarding that, also because both of them like the effect and skills the other parents' child has.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: Kyon mentions casually to Sasaki that he has to meet several past instances of people, fight 12 thugs at once, arrange to deliver an alien artifact and study for a math test. It scares the crap out of adult Mikuru, but Sasaki doesn't take it seriously.
- Augmented Reality: It's how the SOS Brigade can perceive and interact with the chibified Asakura.
- As part of her preparations, Mikuru was given an Augmented Reality system. It doesn't seem to interact very well when watching some movies.
- Back-to-Back Badasses: Kyon and Yuki in The Open Battles Chapter 1. The horde of Sumiyoshi-rengo they dismantled were less than pleased at this arrangement.
- Balanced Harem: The girls in the SOS-dan take great care to share equal time with Kyon, usually at Haruhi's or Tsuruya's urging.
- Batman Gambit: Kyon asks Koizumi to mail Haruhi when they are going to meet the Student Council President, so he may have just enough time to talk with Kimidori Emiri about the IDSE's goals and reasons, but not to do anything before Haruhi shows up. Works better than expected.
- Bavarian Fire Drill: After Kyon is shot and in retaliation Haruhi uses her Mind Over Matter powers, Haruhi simply acts as she were the Director of a movie to invoke All Part of the Show. Bystanders start applauding.
- Beach Episode: It starts in the second chapter of the Thwarted Lull arc, and ends in the next chapter.
- Beam Spam: Gungnir can fire lasers at up to 65,535 targets at once.
- Bedmate Reveal: Happens to Kyon when he wakes up one day just to find Kanae sleeping at his side. Turns out that she teleported herself to his bed while sleeping after she learned to slide within the same world.
- Happens to Kyon again in Storm Begins 2. With a twist. This time Kanae teleported herself to his bed on purpose, but after she woke up she discovered that Yuki had the same idea.
- Happens once again in Open Battle 4, only this time with Haruhi and Tsuruya, thanks to Yuki and Kanae teleporting them there.
- Berserk Button:
- Do not try and harm any of Kyon's friends, let alone push Tsuruya out of a window. He will suspend you by the ankle with one hand and invoke Dissonant Serenity.
- In a similar vein, do not shoot Kyon. Haruhi will gladly try to kill you.
- Better Than a Bare Bulb: Given the ridiculous number of Lampshades hung over the course of every chapter, it's safe to say this is in effect.
- Bifurcated Weapon: Altair + Vega + Beam Saber = Gungnir.
- Big Brother Instinct:
- Threaten Kanae like Ryuguu did, and Kyon will come after you with a vengeance. In fact, he'd fix up most problems in the Brigade, mostly with force because of circumstances.
- Don't even insinuate that you will harm any of his friends in front of Kyon. He will practically teleport in front of you.
- Big Damn Heroes: In the prologue. Also happened at some other point, we finally get to see over twenty chapters after we first learned about it.
- Big No/Little No: Both played for laughs when Mikuru wants to meet Kyon (who was busy giving Haruhi a catatonia-inducing kiss) because he could help Koizumi with some "esper business", as he put it. As both Yuki and Koizumi are connected to Haruhi and feel her emotional state, both voice their negative accordingly:
"Oh, my," Mikuru said, frowning as she glanced around. "Um ... should I call Kyon-kun about it?"
- Blah Blah Blah: In Anachronic Order Explanation Chapter 1.
Haruhi: Blah blah blah, Skip the speeches - if I don't know the complete back story, it's all meaningless to me.
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: After Tsuruya comments to Haruhi that she learned calligraphy because it's an important thing to know in the business:
Haruhi: What else did you learn? Back to the beginning... I know you mentioned that you had some martial arts training, too?
- Brick Joke: Kyon's analogy in the prologue for being hit by Ryoko is about being hit by a speeding minivan. Guess what happened in the Initial Conflict arc.
- Also used in conjunction with the Stealth Pun in Heroic Antics Begin Arc, Chapter 4, which is titled: Chapter Eleven: Yes, It Goes There / Yeah, It Went There (depending on whether you're looking at the Table of Contents or the chapter itself). If you recall, the title for Straightforward Flashback and Exposition Arc, Chapter 1 is called: Chapter Three: It Goes To Eleven.
- Broken Masquerade: Kyon pulls this on Haruhi so she can save Yuki. Also, that chapter's Fictional Document refers to how to prepare for this trope as well.
- Buffy-Speak: To avoid mentioning exactly what it was that he and Yuki swiped from Yamane Jun's room (i.e. Asakura's gym shorts), Kyon stops himself halfway through the word and calls it "the corrupted data thingy."
- Calling Your Attacks: Master Spa~ark!
- Campbell Country: Hinamizawa.
- Captivity Harmonica: One of the inmates has one when Kyon visits Masao in jail. They use it to drown out their conversation in case of eavesdroppers.
- Cassandra Truth: Kyon's sister frequently has tried to tell her parents and friends that her brother is a hero but nobody believes her. In part this is also because Kyon tells her enough to know but not enough for her to be believed if she tells someone else.
- Sasaki doesn't believe in aliens, time travelers, espers, or sliders and recently convinced herself that they're code words used by Yakuza.
- Casual Danger Dialog: Kyon, as a Deadpan Snarker, is prone to type 4. Of course, since he often already knows the outcome of the fight, he might not need to be worried.
- Celebrity Paradox: In addition to this wiki apparently existing in the fic's universe, Taniguchi mentions Lucky Star in Thwarted Lull Arc V.
- Chained Heat: Haruhi and Sasaki were handcuffed together by their kidnappers at the end of Laying Low Arc Chapter 4.
- Chekhov's Gun:
- Yuki checks out Kyon's wristwatch. A few chapters later, it turns out she installed a program to create a impenetrable skinsuit in case Kyon gets attacked.
- During Haruhi's second time in Closed Space with Kyon, she made several unmentioned changes to reality, including a limit to her powers. A notable one showing up later is removing Koizumi's limitations so that he can use his ESPer powers outside of closed space.
- What about Chekhov's Coat?
- Chekhov's Gunman: Shamisen, seriously. To be precise, the "paragenetic silicon-based data lifeforms", who are hosted in Shamisen's body since the events of the short story Wandering Shadow, helped Kuyou out of a difficult situation in Open Battle, Chapter 4.
- Chunky Salsa Rule: The enemy slider from Thwarted Lull, Chapter 2 may not understand fighting very well, but he knows that threatening to reduce Kyon into a chunky salsa is the same as a death threat.
- Cliff Hanger: Frequently; Chapters 47, 53, 54
- Close-Call Haircut: Immediately after Radiant Magical Nonoko protests having to return Kyon's gear to him, citing that she's "not afraid of anything anymore", a flechette nearly beheads her, only taking a few strands of hair instead.
- Combat by Champion: Defied after the battle against the 24 Yakuza. Fujiya Masao, their boss who proposed himself as his own champion was convinced he doesn't have to keep fighting (and losing); instead, he only had to promise never work again with pictures of changing high school female students.
- Comically Missing the Point: In Gearing Up arc chapter 5 when returning from training Kyon was received with a pillow thrown to his face, making him fall. This conversation followed:
Kyon: Haruhi? Was that you?
- Continuity Cameo: It seems that Kyon and Kanae made a brief but intriguing appearance in the chapter 7 of Later, another one of Durandall's fanfics, in front of the adult version of Kyon, who reacts in a savvy and very sensible way.
adult!Kyon: I suppose it's none of my business, whatever it was. Perhaps there's something strange and amazing there ... but as I've learned, there's no reason - really - to search for it. If I have to be involved, I'm confident that whatever is to happen will find me. And, really ... it doesn't bother me too much if it doesn't.
- Continuity Nod:
- In the 3rd chapter of Gearing Up arc, Haruhi congratulates Mikuru on being the first to accomplish her Tanabata wishes.
- Also, Koizumi explains his Esper powers over a cup of coffee with Haruhi, just like how he explained it to Kyon.
- At Tsuruya's house in Calm Before the Storm Chapter 3, Koizumi reminded Kyon of the events of the Drama CD, where Haruhi wrote a literal Ear Worm and Hare Hare Yukai. Then they perform Hare Hare Yukai for everybody.
- The Drama CD is also the source of Yuki's (inhibition-eroding when used by Kyon) pet name, "Yuki-rin".
- In the Heroes Gone Fishing scene in Fanservice Arc Chapter 4, Keiichi warned Kyon to not go near a abandoned quarry. That's a reference to "Nekogoroshi-hen" (Cat Killing Chapter), a single episode scenario of the anime based on the homonymous Light Novel.
- It has been mentioned a few times that Kyon resembles his grandfather a lot, which could be a small nod to "Mystérique Sign Returns". This manga-only chapter features a case similar to the Cave Cricket incident, but in this case the data entity took the form of a man dressed in an Imperial Japanese Army uniform with a katana, who Kyon first mistook for an older version of himself. Later he discovered that the apparition was in fact based on her grandfather in his younger days.
- Most times Kyon has to time travel he notes how he is getting more used to it.
- In Open Battle Arc, Chapter 7, Koizumi reveals that the fake version of Kyon who visited his room in Snow Mountain Syndrome was behaving aggressively in 'that way'.
- In Laying Low Arc, Chapter 1, Haruhi gives Kanae a smiley-face hairpin, which is the same Hair Decoration as that worn by Yasumi, the Canon character Kanae was based upon.
- Contrived Coincidence: The IDSE created tools for theoretical interactions with Alternate Universes, with a dimensional anchor being among those items. The last one created dates from millions of years. The item found in Tsuruya's backyard during the seventh book? Guess what it is.
- Conversational Troping: In Kyon and Sasaki's backstory it was the usual topic of conversation: Kyon presented a trope and Sasaki deconstructed it.
- Cooldown Hug: This trope is used fairly often, like when Haruhi hugs Tsuruya when she blames herself for Kyon being shot, Yuki receiving one from Kyon when she is scared after being too close to a black hole, or Kyon being hugged after being dangerously close to killing, or when he visibly stressed from the fight against the Combine at Kitago (after his sister joined the battle).
- Cool Sword: Kyon's Laser Blade, whose hilt was used by one of his ancestors and blade was made of the remains of a robot from another world.
- Covert Pervert: Yuki and Hanyuu. They spent their time in Hinamizawa together "enjoying the view" of Kyon in bath.
- Cower Power: After Haruhi's reaction to Tsuruya's report on what she and Kyon did to disband a illegal photographic ring (which included sleeping and bathing together -- It Makes Sense in Context), Mikuru automatically hides behind Tsuruya. Kanae, noting that Tsuruya isn't the safest cover in this circumstance, decides not to follow this trope and only hide behind the table.
- Crack Fic: It crosses over with tropes. It should also be noted that nobody knows how to cross a story with a concept.
- Creator Cameo: In Open Battle Arc, Chapter 7, during the conversation where Haruhi and Kyon discussed how to name his Laser Blade, she suggested the name of the "weapon from the battle of Troy, and featured in the 'Song Of Roland'". Kyon rejected it because "somehow, that particular name felt overused".
- Curb Stomp Battle:
- Curse Cut Short:
- Kyon's first meeting with Ryuguu in Heroic Antics Begin, Chapter 1. Kyon smashed his nose against the equipment shed, making him curse. Before Ryuguu could finish the curse, Kyon smashed his nose in again.
- On second thoughts, search for any mention of "fu-". That's a Curse Cut Short. For example, Heroic Antics Begin, Chapter 2, when Kyon's sternly chastising Watanabe.
- Cuteness Overload: Mikuru when Kyon first calls her by her first name. As a result, she kisses Kyon while giving the "it's forbidden" speech.
- Also happens to Haruhi when Kanae first calls her Suzumiya-sempai.
Mikuru: Eh? Suzumiya-san? Are you alright? You look dazed!
- And to Yuki, of all people, when Kyon calls her Yuki-rin.
- Dead Fic
- Dead-Man Switch: Sasaki invokes this trope in Calm Before The Storm Chapter 4. It goes like this: if she doesn't send two text messages at certain times of the day, the intended recipient will know that something bad happened to her.
- Denied Lunch As Punishment: to Kyon when he's grounded.
- Denying the Antecedent: Kyon's sister resorted to this to get herself invited to the beach trip in Thwarted Lull Chapter 1. Kyon immediately noticed it, but it turns out that she goes anyway.
Kyon: So if I tell you, that means you can't go. Understand?
- Destination Defenestration: Yamane does this to Tsuruya when he's cornered by her, Kyon, Yuki and Yanagimoto in the photography club room. Kyon managed to pick her hand before falling though, and between him and Yuki they picked up Tsuruya back in the clubroom.
- Did Not Do the Research: Lampshaded when the writer realized that Sasaki was the character's last name, rather than first name. Apparently, this is important enough that a chapter has to be rewritten.
- However, Durandall has been very good at keeping the story close to canon and he did the research every other time.
- Technically Doubly Subverted. To clarify: the research was done, it was just the wiki where the research was executed was incorrect.
- Ironically, the eleventh novel (which is not canon for this fic, but still) reveals that Sasaki is not the character's original name.
- Discussed Trope:
- Distracted by the Sexy: Nagato and Hanyuu stopped fighting because Kyon got out of the bath.
- Does Not Know His Own Strength: In Calm Before The Storm Chapter 2's Fictional Document, it warns you to be careful of one's new powers.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?:
- This excerpt from Laying Low Arc Chapter 4:
"Um ... I'm sorry about this...." [Kyon] paused, considering, then winced and asked, "Did it ... hurt?"
- Doorstopper: As of Laying Low Arc Chapter 4, the story is approximately 540,000 words long. As a reference, the English translation of Les Misérables is around ten thousand words shorter.
- Dramatic Irony: Used for comedy with the "very special hell" Running Gag. Kyon has had make out sessions with Haruhi, Yuki, Tsuruya, Mikuru and Kanae, and as a result he's troubled because he thinks he's cheating Haruhi even if they aren't even dating. His Arranged Marriage with Tsuruya doesn't help. He doesn't know that all the girls agreed to share him.
- Dropping the Bombshell: Haruhi and Tsuruya are chatting about Kyon and kissing in the presence of Yuki, who was silently reading:
Tsuruya: Would kissing be within those boundaries?
- Why it's an example? Because it made Haruhi and Tsuruya realize that Yuki and Kyon being in a nightly Year Inside, Hour Outside training for weeks gave Yuki the chance of being kissed by Kyon many times before and made him become the excellent make-out partner, even if he can't remember it afterwards.
- Tsuruya-sama, ninkyo dantai boss, drops a bombshell so huge by revealing Kyon's relationship with his organization and the deeds Kyon has done for it that Kyon's mother faints from the shock.
- Dynamic Entry: One of the fictional documents advise this. In addition, Kyon used it on one of the twelve Yakuza.
- Electric Slide: When Kyon wanted to get from his school to the meeting point with Future!Mikuru in Storm Begins Chapter 4, he performed this trope. Ryouko Asakura found it interesting but quite inferior compared to teleportation.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita:
- One of Tsuruya's costumes. Though admittedly, her cheerful demeanor doesn't complement it well.
- In Thwarted Lull Chapter 5, Yuki gets her costume, and she pulls it off quite well.
- Empathic Weapon: When Kyon genetically imprints his new weapon, courtesy of future Kyon, he feels a highly disconcerting awareness of the weapon.
- Establishing Character Moment: Kyon's sister gets hers in Filler Arc 3 when Kyon tells her about his heroic antics. It really shows how much she cares for her brother and is afraid of losing him, as it's the first time the story is told from her perspective.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin:
- Excalibur in the Rust: Kyon's Ancestral Weapon. Subverted in that it actually is in a state of disrepair and data manipulation is needed to make it a functional weapon. Of course, it probably wasn't a Laser Blade in its original incarnation...
- Face Palm: Haruhi when she realized Kyon will get in trouble with the Student Council again by dangling Yamane out a window.
- Fainting: Kyon's mother's reaction upon learning that the nice, respectable family that Kyon works for is ninkyo dantai.
- Fan Service: Constantly played straight, and subverted in the actual 'fanservice arc'.
- More like constantly invoked. With fanservice played straight, there's often no particular in-story reason why it's there, and the characters themselves aren't aware of it. Here, the fact that there will be fanservice is so well established that nobody even questions it anymore; the remaining issue is who gets to do it.
- Fan Service Pack: Haruhi wishes for one in chapter three of the Anachronic Exposition Arc.
- Fascinating Eyebrow: Part of Kyon's answer to Fujiwara's declaration of not giving up the slider's weapon to him. The other part was Kyon showing Fujiwara the very same weapon, meaning it's a predetermined event Kyon will receive it.
- Fictional Document: The beginning of every chapter. Mostly Encyclopedia Exposita-like self-help books on being a hero, with the occasional poetry thrown in, and implied to be from future documents/books. Until the author states outright who wrote what, it will remain an extremely popular topic in the WMG.
- Filler: Subverted in the so-called Filler Arc.
- First Episode Spoiler: The IDSE scheduling Yuki's deletion, forcing Kyon to use his Trust Password on Haruhi thus making her be aware of her powers.
- First Girl Wins: Haruhi calls it a cliché, since she believes that one can always fix the situation, as in Sakanaka's case.
- First-Name Basis: At the same time that the SOS Brigade strengthens their Nakama relationship, characters start addressing others differently:
- Kyon refers to Tsuruya by Tsuruya-san the first time she sees him fight (as he does in Canon), then Tsuruya-sempai after that fight when he volunteered himself to help her, and a few days later (from her perspective) Tsuruya-kun, regarding themselves as equals. Later on, in Open Battle Arc, Chapter 2, he switches to Tsuruya-hime in order to better distinguish between her and Tsuruya-sama while around the Tsuruya-tachi.
- Mikuru starts calling Nagato Yuki-chan after they comfort each other when Kyon is recovering from being shot.
- Tsuruya had called both Haruhi and Mikuru that they both should drop the formalities (Tsuruya-san) when talking to her. Haruhi has been calling her Tsu-chan since then, and Mikuru(big) calls her the same way.
- Kyon finally called Mikuru Mikuru-chan after watching a movie together and being asked again.
- Tsuruya started calling Yuki Yuki-chan in Thwarted Lull Chapter 3.
- In Calm Before the Storm Chapter 2, Kyon first calls Yuki Yuki when Haruhi asks her to make the club's filing cabinet secure. When visiting her later in the day, he calls her Yuki-rin, before finally settling on Yuki-chan.
- Kanae starts calling Mikuru Mikuru-onee in Calm Before the Storm Chapter 5.
- Mikuru calls Haruhi Haruhi-chan in Storm Begins Chapter 3 after Haruhi tells her to stop calling her Suzumiya-san.
- Yuki calls Mikuru Mikuru-chan in Open Battle Chapter 7.
- Five Rounds Rapid: Subverted after Sumiyoshi-rengo member Taiso signals to the other Yakuza members to pull out their guns when Koizumi uses his esper power to destroy Taiso's gun just as Taiso tries to fire it. Played straight when fellow Sumiyoshi-rengo, Senzo, fires five shots at Koizumi in his red energy form. Of course, this fails to work.
- Flashmob: In Laying Low Arc Chapter 3, the entire SOS Brigade plus Sasaki, Kyouko and Nonoko staged Hare Hare Yukai in a train station dressed as Touhou characters to the surprise and delight of many passers-by.
- Flechette Storm: Used twice by Asakura in Obligatory Anachronic Order Explanation Chapter 1.
- Flight: Haruhi, as part of the upgrades she performs on her powers while in Safe Mode.
- Forced to Watch: Sasaki is made to watch (on closed-circuit televison) Kyon and Yuki being ambushed by some thirty Sumiyoshi-rengo assassins. She thinks it's to torture her; it's actually to use her power to disable Yuki's data manipulation and Kyon's superscience gadgetry.
- Foreshadowing: Kyon mentions that his uncle is called Keichii in one chapter. It later turns out that's the same one in Higurashi.
- Also this, from Filler Arc, Chapter 2:
Yuuto: There's no way you could come home from school one day and announce that you had, say, rescued an heiress from rampant hoodlums and secured a position at her father's company.
- And then, in Filler Arc, Chapter 3, after the photography ring is shut down, Tsuruya's father visits Kyon's family and tells them that Kyon has secured a position at his company, due to Kyon rescuing his daughter from rampant hoodlums.
- Fountain of Youth: After each training session Yuki restores the trainees' age, otherwise they'd age a year each night.
- Four Is Death: Defied. In Laying Low Arc, Chapter 4, Koizumi is added to the group of people assigned to face the Combine (Kyon, Yuki, Kuyou, and Ryouko) the next time they appear "mostly to make the number involved slightly luckier."
- Framing the Guilty Party: Takahashi is arrested for kidnapping of a minor at the beginning of Open Battle Chapter 6. While wrongly accused in this particular case, she did try to kidnap Sasaki and Kyon with the help of the Sumiyoshi-rengo just the day before in-story.
- Freudian Slip:
- Mostly from Kanae, followed by her blushing.
Kanae: You got to take a bath with Sempai! I'm jealous! Er, I mean, that is... (claps hands over her mouth)
- Though Haruhi usually catches herself before letting something slip, she got one for the same scene as above, after prompting from Tsuruya.
Tsuruya: Understood! Next time I want to take a bath with Kyon, I'll invite you over to join us!
- Mikuru has her own share when asked about the movie she went to watch with Kyon and Yuki.
Tsuruya: So, how was your date~?
- Furo Scene:
- A few times, first with Kyon and Tsuruya, then Kyon, Tsuruya and Yuki, and later Kyon and Haruhi.
- Then there's another in the Thwarted Lull arc.
- Futureshadowing: Mori didn't go to the first meeting Kyon had with Organization members because she was intimidated by something Kyon did a few days before. In Initial Conflict Arc 3 Kyon is shown bursting into a secret Organization meeting (falling through the skylight in a 10 meter drop) while carrying a man beneath an arm and calmly saying "Don't mind me dropping in," as if it is normal for someone to do this. He left through the skylight too.
- Genius Loci: The Agents of the Sky Canopy Domain are the avatars of living, sapient stars. Part of the reason they don't get along with the IDSE is because the way the stars perceive time, matter, and thought are so vastly different.
- Genre Savvy: Many characters already are in the source material, but Haruhi turns this Up to Eleven: she uses her powers to give herself a limitation on them so she doesn't destroy the world accidentally; and while she learns to be responsible with her full powers she'll have a limited version of them so she can still have fun. Of course, things can go bad, as explained in Blessed with Suck.
- Even Kyon's sister is starting to become this, though in her case it borders on Wrong Genre Savvy: she was able to deduce that Kyon was visiting an enemy to draw him to their side, but at the same time she ardently believes that she will become a Magical Girl on her next field trip.
- Girl-On-Girl Is Hot: Kyon once had a dream of present!Mikuru and future!Mikuru which he started reminiscing about. He cuts himself off before he digs himself deeper.
- Haruhi and Tsuruya to the already hugging Mikuru and Yuki when Kyon is recovering from being shot at the hospital.
- Kyon is in the receiving end of one from his sister as a greeting in Calm Before The Storm Chapter 2.
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: Achakura and chibi!Kuyou dressed the part and tried to play the role for Kyon in Laying Low Arc Chapter 4, with great emphasis on tried. Let's just say that neither of them quite get Black and White Morality.
- Good Cop, Bad Cop: In the Heroic Antics Begin arc.
- Goofy Print Underwear: Kimidori Emiri wears Trope-tan character print panties.
- Go to Your Room: Kyon's mother to her son in Filler Chapter 3.
- Gratuitous Japanese: Aside from using Japanese honorifics, the author uses a lot of Japanese words, especially with regards to the Yakuza.
- Grievous Harm with a Body: Kyon and Yuki use this trope a lot in both of their fights with the Yakuza.
- Growling Gut: Kyon in Open Battle arc 2, after Mikuru asks him if he's hungry.
- Half Truth: Kyon tells a Yakuza that his PDA is custom , and says that he got Akasaka's picture because if you do it right, people just look right through you. 
- Hangover Sensitivity: Happens to almost all the members of the "after-school club" in Fanservice Arc, Chapter 3. Mion seems to have it the worst, judging from her reaction to her sister's intentionally-too-loud greeting:
Mion: My head's killing me. Kei-chan, Rika-chan... if I don't make it... I'm leaving the household to Makoto-chan.
- Head Pet: Deadpan Snarker Kyon + Team Pet Achakura = Inevitability.
- As of Open Battle Arc, Chapter 5, chibi!Kuyou also takes a turn riding on Kyon's head.
- Heroes Gone Fishing: Kyon goes fishing with his uncle Keiichi when he goes to visit for golden week.
- The entire Fanservice Arc counts as this.
- Heroic BSOD:
- Subverted, as the pressure of knowing the implications of her own power almost provokes one on Haruhi.
- Kyon suffers this on his backstory without realising it: after Sasaki constant deconstructionism, culminating with the Deconstruction of The Power of Love, Kyon's sister notes her brother lost his smile, only to be regained after Kyon met Haruhi.
- Hero Secret Service: The SOS Brigade, including the Organization and Tsuruya's Yakuza for Kyon, for mostly non-action roles. Haruhi'd like to be in the action though.
Haruhi: *chuckling* Damn, I just realized, I'm stuck with Kyon's paperwork again!
- Hesitation Equals Dishonesty: Kyon does this in Heroic Antics Begin chapter 1 when Tsuruya asked why he had to return to the clubroom despite him telling her earlier that he was dismissed for the day. It turns out he had to find Mikuru to Time Travel.
Kyon: Well, I have to head back in anyway, since ... I forgot my shoes. Yeah. I'll see you tomorrow, alright, Tsuruya-sempai?
- Holy Backlight: Kyon is seen that way by Kanae in after fighting a giant robot at the beach.
- How Much Did You Hear?: In Fanservice Arc, Chapter 4, Kyon discovers his sister eavesdropping Haruhi when she's outlining Mikuru her plan to share Kyon. While Tsuruya wonders what she overheard, Haruhi doesn't really care about how much exactly she knows: she just cares that she doesn't tell anybody else.
- Humiliation Conga: Yamane Jun. After him being caught off-guard by Tsuruya in the idol research club room and tried to kill her Kyon held him by an ankle, his body dangling outside a third floor window, making people who was passing by take photos with their phones. Then he just had to wet himself.
Tsuruya: That's precious! I'll make sure one of those pictures of you that's being taken down there now is right next to the article about this that'll be in the paper!
- Hyperspace Arsenal: Somehow, Kyon tucked his slider weapon into his shirt from Haruhi's point of view.
- Hypocritical Humor: Haruhi's rant in Initial Conflict Chapter 4 about long and/or ongoing series. She's especially unhappy that Negima is that long, but the part that sticks out most is that she doesn't like light novels that go on for more than 10 novels. The source material is releasing its 10th novel, and it's only the start of the Brigade's second year.
- In addition, this fanfic is 495,985 words long (using a wordcount from MS word) as of Laying Low Arc: Chapter I (Chapter 51), and was the longest Haruhi fanfic on fanfiction.net before the author removed it and reposted it. The shortest novel the Other Wiki lists on its longest novels page is about 510,000 words long, for reference.
- I Call It Vera: Kyon's Morph Weapons, Altair and Vega, and his Beam Saber, Hakurouken.
- I Cannot Self-Terminate: Achakura says this word-for-word in Open Battle Chapter 5. She's horribly upset at two things: her actions directly lead to Kyon's sister being in severe danger, and she's feeling 'Negative' emotions like sadness, worry, and guilt for the first time, and hates it. In order to let herself stop feeling that way, she gives Kyon the schematics to a special form of his Laser Blade that can erase her from existence. He's tempted to do so because of the danger to his sister, but is talked out of it when he's told that she was honestly trying to save his life, and never intended to bring Kyon's sister to the front lines.
- If I Had a Nickel:
Haruhi: "If I had a paper crane for all of the things that Kyon's done for me, I'd have a wish by now!"
- I Kiss Your Hand: In Thwarted Lull arc 5, Kyon, wearing a Victorian-style suit, plays along with Yuki's, wearing an Elegant Gothic Lolita outfit, offer of tea making this gesture (It Makes Sense in Context). While he makes the gesture his lips don't actually touch Yuki's hand.
- Imagine Spot:
- In Filler Arc, Chapter 3, after Kyon phoned Yuki.
He stared a minute longer, imagining her in her apartment, kneeling by the phone, her cheeks pink-tinged as she daydreamed about him... But he dismissed that thought. This was Yuki, after all. As much as he might wish that...
- Kanae dreamed of kissing a shirtless Kyon in a shadowy wooded glade surrounded by bunnies and flowers, not on a beach, after fighting off an inter-dimensional robot.
- I'm Taking Her Home with Me: Performed by the Trope Namer, Ryuguu Rena, on a cosplaying Yuki in Storm Begins Chapter 4. Kyon barely held her back from glomping Yuki, but she swept her up anyway the moment Kyon let go.
- Haruhi does this to Kanae in Thwarted Lull Chapter 3, although not quite as extreme.
"God, she's cute like that, though," Haruhi exclaimed, grabbing Kanae away from her sempai suddenly. Kanae allowed another squeak of alarm to escape as the older girl held her tightly and twirled around. "I want to take her home!"
- Inconvenient Summons: When they start training Yuki teleported Mikuru two nights in a row to her apartment just after Mikuru took a bath, still wearing her Modesty Towel. After complaining about being teleported while bathing the next teleport was while she was eating.
- Indirect Kiss: Kyon and Yuki. Kyon's aunt observes no real hesitation on his part when he has to share a teacup with Yuki.
- I Need to Go Iron My Dog: In Thwarted Lull Arc, Chapter 3, after Yuki teleports Kyon with the intention of letting Haruhi having a make out session with him.
Kanae: We have to take care of that ... thing in the kitchen, right Asahina-san?
- In Medias Res: The prologue.
- We finally reached the events it covers after 41 intervening chapters.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl:
- Tsuruya happily undresses in front of Kyon, after they slept together (No, not that way). She also bathes with him, and almost gives him a nosebleed the first time.
- Yuki offers to teach Haruhi how to kiss better. Haruhi's mind goes into overdrive.
- If Mikuru's thoughts are to be trusted, Tsuruya never bothers with a Modesty Towel. Ever.
- Innocent Innuendo:
- Crops up on occasion. First between Kanae and Kyon, then later with Kyon, Yuki, and Tsuruya.
- In the prologue, Haruhi asks Kyon eagerly to "see it", asking in the process "Doesn't that get hot?" with a wide smile. It's his beam saber.
- Kanae slept with Kyon, and Haruhi immediately lampshades everything when she meets them.
Haruhi: Wow. Just ... around you, Kyon, that slider turns into a living innuendo factory. Kanae-chan's little 'you wore me out last night' comment, her constant Freudian slips, and now, 'accidentally falling into your bed'? I can't even bring myself to get worked up over the things that get said between the two of you - what really happened? And where'd the Trope-tan cosplay come from?
- Insistent Terminology: Yakuza members tend to refer to their own organization as "ninkyo dantai" ("chivalrous organization") and enemy organizations as "boryokudan" ("violence group"). The police also tend to use "boryokudan".
- Instant Armor: Yuki adds this function to Kyon's watch, which saves his life when he gets shot.
- Instant Cosplay Surprise: Haruhi modified/learnt that Skynet, Kyon's PDA and controller of the stealth function on Kyon's greatcoat, can scan pictures from the Internet. The first thing she does is make Kyon wear a Victorian suit, followed by various outfits from the same era.
- Internal Reveal: In Fanservice Arc, Chapter 2, Rika Fuurude tells Kyon about the events of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, hoping he'll reveal his story after that. Understanding that she'll believe him and will keep his secret, Kyon tells Rika afterwards about the SOS Brigade and the supernatural events he had lived through.
- Invisibility Cloak: Kyon's equipment provides him with one of these at will. Well, so long as he's not too cold.
- It Got Worse: Inverted. Kyon gets a clip full of bullets emptied at him, thus resulting in the aforementioned Bavarian Fire Drill. Turns out Chekhov's Gun just came into play.
- I Think You Broke Her: After Yuki makes modifications to Kuyou using Haruhi's (Kyon-approved) Reality Warper powers, Haruhi and Tsuruya start to ask Kuyou some questions. When Tsuruya asks her why she wanted to be linked to Kyon in the same manner as Ryouko, she considers the question... and freezes, causing Haruhi to wonder if Tsuruya broke her.
Haruhi: Tsu-chan, did you just break Suou-san?
- It's a Long Story: In Straightforward Flashback arc 2, after Kyon returns to the clubroom with a little cut in the head, a faint line of blood trickling down one cheek:
Haruhi: What happened?
- It Was A Dark And Stormy Morning: Averted, though Kyon really wants that when he wonders whether Haruhi will end the world after the previous night's incident in Initial Conflict Chapter 5.
- It Was a Gift: When Kyon goes with Yuki to buy a phone to her in the fourth chapter of the Initial Conflict arc Yuki acknowledges that, even if she could emulate the functions of a phone without effort, she would treasure it as a gift from him.
- Also, Mikuru's mail and photo to Kyon in Fanservice Arc Chapter 1. Kyon finally admits to Mikuru keeping her photos without her consent and deletes them in front of her, thinking he's being hypocrite after breaking the illegal photo ring. After a really uncomfortable day for both of them, Kyon receives a mail from Mikuru with a photo of herself with a very shy look and skimpy clothing, implying she forgives him. In a later chapter Kyon comments adult!Mikuru that photo is meaningful to him.
- It Will Never Catch On: Haruhi thinks Kyon's nickname for his beam saber in its tool mode will never catch on. He calls it his sonic screwdriver.
- I Was Just Joking: In Kyon and Haruhi's first meeting with Michikyuu Kanae, Kyon jokingly suggests that she's a slider who knows them from a Alternate Universes after she ran away from them. Haruhi starts chasing her before he could say the line. He was right.
- Jaw Drop:
- This is the reaction of Kyon's father on how Tsuruya's father countered his negative to change jobs due to loyalty to his company (so Kyon's father could work under Tsuruya's father): buying the company where Kyon's father works.
- Koizumi in Thwarted Lull Arc chapter 1 when he's told Kyon got engaged to Tsuruya.
- Jump Physics:
- Yuki jumps from the ground floor, hops off the wall several times, and hangs on the roof one-handed before she slides Yamane Jun's window open. Kyon looks at that and decides that his chance of mimicking her is nonexistent.
- Later, Kyon invokes this trope via gravity manipulation and his training.
- Just in Time: In Open Battle Chapter 1, Kyon and Yuki are forced to fight over thirty Sumiyoshi-rengo while most of Kyon's equipment is disabled and Yuki is Brought Down to Normal. The second katana Kyon took from his assailants eventually shatters, which is when the Yakuza decide to stop holding back and draw their guns. It is at this moment that Koizumi bursts through the ceiling while destroying the ceiling cameras that were set up to allow a Power Nullifier to be in effect.
- Kill Sat: Gungnir isn't quite orbital, but the effect is the same.
- Lampshade Hanging: If every time something was lampshaded was listed, we'd probably make the page four times longer.
- Laser Blade: Kyon wields one in the prologue and finally gets it in Thwarted Lull Chapter 3.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: After each session of training, Yuki clears out "all non-necessary mental data to prevent unintentional corruption or trauma" from the trainees.
- Leave the Two Lovebirds Alone: Yuki in Thwarted Lull Chapter 1, when she left Mikuru and Kyon alone by the entrance of Tsuruya's house.
- Literal Minded: Kyon's PDA. In Thwarted Lull Arc 1, when Kyon starts chatting with Sasaki she brings up that most of his events were most probably organized by someone else. His PDA, being able to learn and adapt, brings up his event planner immediately. He then tries to avoid meetings with her with lame excuses that Skynet (his PDA) obligingly fills his schedule with as it doesn't understand Kyon is lying.
- An alternate interpretation is that Skynet knew Kyon was lying, but was helping him out anyway - as Kyon never makes any mentions of Skynet reminding him of any of his false excuses. Either he deleted them later or Skynet did it for him.
- Locked Out of the Fight: While the whole SOS Brigade was in class when the enemy slider attacked Kitago the battle was inside Kuyou's shadow song. Koizumi can't enter those spaces by himself.
- Locked Out of the Loop: The males in the SOS Brigade don't know that the females in the brigade are aiming to share Kyon.
- As of Storm Begins Arc, Chapter 2, Kyon has been brought into the loop. Koizumi still doesn't know, though.
- And as of Laying Low Arc, Chapter 2, Koizumi has figured it out.
- Lolicon: Kyon isn't pleased to note that Taniguchi thinks Kanae's cute, in a lolicon sort of way.
- And a running gag has Kyon denying that he feels this way for younger girls like Miyoko and his cousin.
- Loophole Abuse: In The Open Battles Arc, Chapter 4, the only way Asakura Ryouko could circumvent "good-child mode" and alert the brigade of a slider attack was get Kyon's sister to speak to her first and convince her to activate Kyon's tools and deliver them to him.
- Love Dodecahedron: Kyon-centered. Putting aside the already established (semi-)Canon pairings of Haruhi, Mikuru and Yuki, Ascended Extras Miyoko ("Miyokichi" in source materials) and Kanae have crushes on him, Tsuruya Haruka eventually admits to harboring similar romantic feelings to him, and as of Thwarted Lull Chapter 2, the normally unflappable Sasaki is undeniably distressed by news of his engagement to Tsuruya, although she's unable to identify why she's distressed by that in the first place. Furthermore Kuyou's love has been confirmed. Aside from those centering Kyon, Sakanaka is implied to like Kunikida, who in turn harbor's an unrequited crush towards Sasaki. Gosh, this is a worthy rival to School Rumble.
- Luminescent Blush:
- Kanae. Almost always when the situation involves Kyon.
- Also Mikuru in the picture she sent to Kyon in Fanservice arc 1.
- And Haruhi, after kissing Kyon in Thwarted Lull Chapter 1. Also Koizumi because he's linked to Haruhi.
- Magic Skirt: Averted by Kuyou in Calm Before The Storm Part 4 during a Dynamic Entry. Both the trope and the aversion are surprisingly underplayed, all considered.
- Manly Tears: Kyon, after his aunt Rika told him her backstory.
- Marry Them All: Keichii has ended up in this situation despite being married to Rika, and Haruhi is aiming for this.
- This is actually deconstructed and then reconstructed in the same chapter. According to Rika, the romantic situation at the end of the Higurashi series turned into a No Romantic Resolution situation for several years until Rika was physically old enough to make her move on Keiichi, but the way she tried to catch Keiichi's notice nearly destroyed her and Keiichi's relationship with Mion and the rest of their friends (and considering that this is Higurashi, it's not hard to imagine how that might've played out). Disaster was only averted at the last moment when a Marry Them All solution was proposed by Rena and Satoko and accepted by the rest of the group. Even then, it's not an easy relationship to have; it only works because the whole group was an iron-clad Nakama before they were a harem, and each of the girls has enough self-esteem and love for their partners to not worry about him ever abandoning them.
- Marshmallow Hell:
- Haruhi pulls Mikuru onto Kyon while wrestling for control of a letter in his jacket. The result is this trope.
Kyon: I might have died happy.
- Also, Mikuru pulls one on Yuki, leading to a rather deadpan comment from Yuki. It Makes Sense in Context.
Yuki: It becomes difficult to breathe. Is this ... appropriate?
- Mathematician's Answer:
- Yuki and Kanae use this trope while at Tsuruya's house in Calm Before the Storm Chapter 3, when Yuki and Haruhi are forcibly undressing Kyon, while Kanae is getting out the various layers of his kimono out of a bundle.
Kyon: Y...Yuki! Kanae-chan! Come on! H...help me- Waaah! Help me out!
- Yuki gets another, amazingly cute one in Storm Begins Chapter 2. Kyon wakes up to find both Yuki and Kanae in his bed.
Kyon: Um...Good morning?
- Meaningful Echo: In Heroic Antic Begins arc 1.
(In a reunion with the Student council)
- Also, Mikuru's response to Kyon getting a minor injury with "Kyon, don't die!" Then, after Kyon is shot, Mikuru responds with the same line, just before fainting.
- Meaningful Name: In the fifth chapter of the Initial Conflict arc it's discovered that Kyon is descended from Usui Sadamitsu and has the remains of Sadamitsu's sword. Meanwhile, it's also said that the Tsuruya family is descended from the Minamoto family.
- Mega Neko: Shamisen, on Nonoko's arrival during the Resonance Cascade.
- Mission Control: Haruhi and Tsuruya for Kyon when he and Sasaki go to meet the Anti-SOS Brigade.
- Moment Killer: The enemy slider in Thwarted Lull arc 2. He found Kanae just when she was going to kiss Kyon.
- Morph Weapon: One of the slider's enemies has one. Kyon receives it later as a present from his future self. Also, in Thwarted Lull Chapter 2, one of the enemy sliders attack, only for Fujiwara and Kuyou to perform a Villainous Rescue. Kuyou reprograms one of the weapons for Kyon, only for Fujiwara to take it. She reprograms another one for Kyon anyway.
- Mundane Utility:
- Yuki used data manipulation to slow relative time around a kettle to preserve tea and prevent it to cool down in Thwarted Lull arc 4.
- Haruhi often makes random items such as knives, forks, and pencils move on their own simply because she doesn't feel like cooking/writing physically.
- Kyon turned one of his slider guns into a cosplay prop in Storm Begins Chapter 4.
- Must Have Caffeine: Coffee seems to be Keiichi's remedy of choice whenever he drinks too much. Satoshi, on the other hand, seems to need his morning fix, as well, even without drinking.
Rika smirked, helping Shion with the kitchen chores until the coffee machine chirped. Keiichi and Satoshi stumbled into the room as if summoned by the chime, both wearing robes and with roughly identically bedraggled hair in their respective shades. "Coffee," they moaned in synch, zombie-like.
- My Own Grampa: Kyon hopes that this isn't the case, after realizing that he time travels a lot, and that he wouldn't have to go back in time and ...
- Mythology Gag: Asakura gets turned into Achakura.
- Also, the later chapters reference information that was given in the later books such as Itsuki supposedly being the leader of the Organization and Sakaki and Haruhi having gone to elementary school together.
- Neighbourhood Friendly Gangsters: The Tsuruya Yakuza, especially since their current oyabun and his Yakuza Princess daughter  take the "Neighbourhood Friendly" part literally.
- The Yamaguchi-gumi (the Tsuruya family Yakuza is a branch of it) were responsible for most of the relief and aid efforts after the Kobe earthquake, as Kyon commented in Filler arc 1.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Subverted. Kyon initially thinks this is the case after accidentally informing Fujiwara that the latter cannot die until after traveling back to the previous Saturday, however Fujiwara did a Villainous Rescue on that day, so if he had not gone back in time due to Kyon's information, Kyon would have died.
- What ultimately makes Tachibana decide for trapping Kyon halfway into Sasaki's closed space was Mori's implicit threat to her grandfather.
- "No. Just... No" Reaction: Kyon does not want to think about the idea of being his shipped with Koizumi. Kanae does. Repeatedly. It all comes to a head when the contents of her notebook are revealed, where even Koizumi can't resist joining in the teasing.
- Noodle Incident:
- Kyon travelled back in time to defeat 12 Yakuza single-handedly, complete with Badass Longcoat, and on the same trip did something that was said to have intimidated Mori severely. Later on, readers discover that Mori is extremely intimidating already, as seen in the Psychotic Smirk entry.
- Subverted even later in Initial Conflict Chapter 3 where the events are described in detail.
- In-universe, lampshaded example: In Open Battle Chapter 2, Kuyou eats a plate of noodles far too fast, and winds up choking. When Kyon gives her the Heimlich, she almost hits Achakura with a noodle. In the next chapter, Kyon turns it into a literal example of this by not "going over the noodle incident."
- Kyon travelled back in time to defeat 12 Yakuza single-handedly, complete with Badass Longcoat, and on the same trip did something that was said to have intimidated Mori severely. Later on, readers discover that Mori is extremely intimidating already, as seen in the Psychotic Smirk entry.
- Not a Date: In Thwarted Lull Arc 2, Mikuru tried to deny to Haruhi that her going to see a movie with Kyon and Yuki was a date, despite the fact that she asked Haruhi for permission about this appointment as a date. Implicitly subverted, as Haruhi and the rest of the girls explained her the plan to share Kyon, making the attempt to hide that it was a date a moot point.
- Not So Different: Kyon invokes this trope by name to Wataru, as they both want to protect their own sisters.
- Not So Stoic: In Thwarted Lull Arc 2, Kuyou wants to help Kyon, and he sees the satisfaction in her eyes when he takes the weapon. She also wishes him good luck.
- Yuki after the events of Storm Begins arc 1. It's the first time that she's visibly scared, trembling and asking Kyon to hold her.
- Not What It Looks Like: Kyon's reaction after being photographed with Kanae sleeping against him and his arm around her (an absent movement, he does the same to his sister). Actually a subversion since who took the photo is just teasing him.
- Oh Crap! There Are Doujin of Us...: The rest of the Brigade discover that some of Kanae's sketchbooks contain hentai doujin of them, such as Kyon x Koizumi, Haruhi x Kyon x Kanae, etc.
- Oh, No, Not Again: Sasaki's response to Sumiyoshi-rengo's frequents attempts to kidnap her.
- Older Than They Look:
- Zigagged with. All participants of Yuki's training session have trained for about a year at least each night for weeks. However, Yuki deleted all their irrelevant memories except hers and reverted their aging process. So they don't remember anything except the results of training, even if they have lived all these years.
- Kyon time-travels so much, even he isn't sure how old he'd be at the end of everything.
- As a consequence of Kanae using Mental Interdimensional Travel, Haruhi believes she is quite a bit older than she thinks she is.
- Kanae in general; her given age is sixteen, but she looks about the same as twelve year old Miyoko.
- One Degree of Separation: Let's see:
- It's all but stated that Miyoko's older cousin that she had a crush on ran off with Kyon's older cousin that he had a crush on.
- Haruhi's father is Kyon's father's direct superior.
- Tsuruya's bodyguard is the son of Shion's bodyguard.
- Itsuki turns out to be a huge fan of Kyon's aunt Rena's books.
- Ryuugu Ryo, the boy that Kyon fights, turns out to be the son of the child produced by Rena's mother's cheating.
- Miyuki, the head of the investigation surrounding Kyon, is Akasaka's daughter.
- Haruhi and Sasaki went to the same Elementary School, although they never talked to each other.
- One Dialogue, Two Conversations:
- In Gearing Up chapter 4, Kyon and his father have a chat. Kyon thinks his father found out about his criminal connections and activities. His father is actually talking about the arranged marriage both families have planned.
- Also, in Heroic Antics Begin, chapter 4, Kyon mentions that he went to Nagato's place to learn martial arts. Mori thinks they had sex. When Kyon mentions that he also slept in the same room as Tsuruya, Mori thinks that, they too, had sex. Kyon thus thinks that Mori is getting him armor because she starts moaning about it when he mentions he's going to meet with 20+ Yakuza in a Curb Stomp Battle. Mori instead gets him other forms of protection. Individually packaged, foil-wrapped 'protection'.
- Kyon in Filler Arc 3: "Anyway, you were reminding me that I don't have a future?"
- Koizumi in Initial Conflict arc 3: "I believe my point has been significantly punctuated."
- One Steve Limit: Averted due to the crossover. There are two characters named Keiichi: Kyon's uncle, and one of the Tamaru brothers.
- While Tsuruya is given a first name in this story, she's still nearly always referred to as "Tsuruya" by her friends, and her father is introduced in this story and also referred to by his last name, despite his first name being given. This leads to two characters both referred to as "Tsuruya," and if this story didn't use Japanese Honorifics any scene involving both of them at once would be extremely confusing.
- Opera Gloves: Yuki's new costume has elbow-high gloves that act as an arm-version of Zettai Ryouiki.
- Or Are You Just Happy to See Me?: Parodied. After Kyon received his new PDA and deadpanned about it being like Skynet, while the phone is still on his hand:
Tsuruya: Is that the end of the world in your pockets, or are you just happy to see us?
- Our Hero Is Dead: The first chapter of the Gearing Up arc ends with Kyon being shot.
- Our Lawyers Advised This Trope: The author helpfully mentions in Thwarted Lull Chapter 3 that his Laser Blade is legally distinct from a lightsaber.
- Outside Ride: Kyon hopped to the top of car while stealthed in Open Battle Chapter 2, keeping himself in place thanks to his gravity manipulators.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Kyon calls Tsuruya and claims he's his uncle Kintaro. Justified because he was asleep with her at the moment, though she remarks they have the same voice.
- Perception Filter: Yuki learns how to generate an "occlusion field" from her observations of Kuyou's powers. She uses it in Laying Low Chapter 1 to make Kyon and herself "difficult to focus on or remember to most bystanders". If Kuyou boosts her efforts, this cousin of the "S.E.P. field" is powerful enough for her to make out with Kyon in the middle of the street with no one but them (and potentially other Interfaces) noticing a thing.
- Perfectly Arranged Marriage: Initially resisted due to risk of apocalypse, but all involved parties come around to the idea quite quickly.
- Phlebotinum Analogy: Achakura explains that having a costume that protects you and operates on principles most people won't understand, and wielding equipment that few on Earth have ever seen, let alone held is, in fact, much like turning into a Magical Girl.
- Pimped-Out Dress: After Haruhi declares they can take turns at mascot duty, Tsuruya ends up wearing one of these, as does Yuki.
- Tsuruya also has a collection of formal kimonos with elaborate designs and enough layers and accessories to require at least one other person's help to put them on.
- Pinky Swear: Kyon's sister promises her brother not to tell Haruhi Tsuruya kissed Kyon. While Kyon's sister didn't tell Haruhi, she acknowledged it's her fault Haruhi learned that because she slipped when talking with a cousin.
- The Plan: Kyon suspects Ryoko had one, after he finds out that Yamane was being controlled by Ryoko via her bloomers. Yuki thinks that Yamane was just stupid enough to accidentally corrupt the data inside, accidentally letting Ryoko control him.
- Pocket Dimension: The daily training sessions take place in one.
- Polyamory: Keiichi and Kyon's aunts. They even have the schedule in the closet. Haruhi is actively angling toward this exact setup with the other female members of the SOS-Dan.
- Porn Stash: Kyon deleted the one on the SOS Brigade computer. He now has a small one in his phone, courtesy of Mikuru and Tsuruya.
- Post-Kiss Catatonia:
- Power Incontinence: In order to keep Haruhi's power from affecting the world randomly, Yuki has to work full-time as control mechanism for them; however, closed space still occurs and Yuki has to clear junk data periodically. After the Memory Gambit closed space stops happening but Yuki still has to control Haruhi's power full-time.
- Power of Friendship: A recurrent element through the story, especially after Kyon is shot.
- Power of Trust:
- Power Perversion Potential: A very mild example: It's been pretty much confirmed in story that during Yuki's training sessions, she used some of that time to make-out with Kyon.
Kyon: Um ... what ... do you get out of this, exactly? I know to us, we each go ... somewhere else to practice. What about you?
Kyon: *realization hits* A...actually, forget about that for now.
- In Initial Conflict Arc, Chapter 5, with over a month of training sessions:
Haruhi: *pointing to Yuki* Kyon got so good at kissing because of you!
- Pre-Ass-Kicking One-Liner: Subverted in Calm Before The Storm chapter 5. Just after Kyon delivers the line to three yakuza, he gets teleported out of there by Kuyou.
- Psychic Block Defense: Haruhi, Yuki, Mikuru and Kyon blocks their mind from Koizumi.
- Haruhi's block feels like a strong wind that prevents him from approaching.
- Yuki's block feels like a wall, though he still can detect her presence.
- Mikuru's block is more solid, and haphazard than Yuki's and more than enough.
- Kyon's block prevents Koizumi from even detecting his presence. Not even Haruhi running her powers in safe mode can bypass it.
- Psychotic Smirk: All the Yakuza can do it, mainly because it implies that they can give you hell. Mori's smirk, on the other hand, can cause fear-induced paralysis, as seen in Gearing Up Arc, Cchapter 4, and she isn't even a Yakuza.
- Quizzical Tilt:
- Ragnarok Proofing: The dimensional anchor worked perfectly fine in spite of being millions of years old.
- Rank Inflation: Tsuruya gave an S rank to Kyon's speech when she asked him if she should learn about the supernatural in the SOS Brigade.
- Red Pill, Blue Pill: Kyon gives Tsuruya the option to either learn the truth behind the SOS brigade and the supernatural, or remain 'just a side character.'
- Reference Overdosed: Mainly to trope names.
- An avid Higurashi no Naku Koro ni fan would also catch the multiple subtle references to Higurashi, even in chapters that have nothing to do with Hinamizawa.
- Refuge in Audacity: And its buddy, Rule of Cool, are the two primary forces responsible for keeping Kyon from becoming a Marty Stu.
- Retcon: There have been a few, mostly involving the author changing the names of certain characters. The original first name he gave Tsuruya was Kaede, but changed it to Haruka because he liked its meaning better. He was also originally mistaken about the name of Akasaka's daughter, and fixed the mistake (Momoko to Miyuki) once he was informed. Also, back when he thought that "Sasaki" was the character's given name, the surname he chose for her was Matsumoto. He changed that to a Repetitive Name in order to Take a Third Option.
- Ret-Gone: Narrowly avoided for Kyon, involving Closed Space, Time Travel and Kanae's sliding.
- Retroactive Preparation: Kyon uses and abuses this trope.
- Need a dimensional anchor quickly and you just realized your friend who doesn't know of the supernatural may have it? Go to a day before and ask her to deliver it a few seconds after you realize that.
- He also time travels several days back to prepare countermeasures when Sasaki is kidnapped.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: Haruhi and Kanae, or so they want everyone in Kitago to think.
- Roof Hopping: In the third chapter of the Initial Conflict arc, after getting a powerup which allowed him to control gravity, Kyon started jumping from roof to roof for the fun of it, discovering in the process that it was a fast, inconspicuous and energy-efficient way of movement.
- Running Gag:
- "I am keeping this picture."
- Also the content from the letters from the future.
Haruhi: Can I go (time travelling) with you?
- Also Kyon's dual habits of saying his future self is annoying and then mocking his past self's incompetence, in addition to saying 'hi' to himself.
- Kyon thinks that he has a very special hell waiting just for him.
- Every time an adult has an important conversation with Kyon, he initially thinks they're accusing him of being a Lolicon.
- As a slight variation on the gag, Kyon's uncle asked about his relationship with his female friends in one such conversation, and Kyon interpreted it as asking if he was gay.
Kyon: Don't get the wrong idea. I like girls just fine. That is not the problem.
- Kyon keeps telling himself that Shinobu, the Tsuruya family maid, is a ninja.
- Said Bookism: The characters allow and offer a whole lot more than they say.
- Sarashi: Mentioned by name as part of Sasaki's cosplay during the Flashmob.
- Sarcastic Confession:
- At the end of Filler Arc, Chapter 2, Kyon joins the Yamaguchi-gumi as an honorary member. When his mother asks if he's through being a delinquent (which wasn't his fault in the first place), he answers that he's moved on to joining the Yakuza. His mother doesn't believe him. Obviously.
- Also, Kyon mentions casually to Sasaki that he has to meet several past instances of people, fight 12 thugs at once, arrange to deliver an alien artifact and study for a math test. It scares the crap out of adult Mikuru, but Sasaki doesn't take it seriously.
- Inverted in Thwarted Lull Chapter 2, Sasaki tells Haruhi about the Anti-SOS Brigade's identities. Sasaki thinks that they're delusional or pulling her leg, but Haruhi is now aware of enemy espers, time travelers, and aliens, since immediately after hearing this she wants to speak with Koizumi.
- Scenery Censor: During Kyon's first Furo Scene in Hinamizawa, Hanyuu notes that her and Yuki's linked hands (long story, It Makes Sense in Context) would prevent anyone standing at the doorway from seeing Kyon's "most interesting areas".
- School Uniforms Are the New Black:
- Kyon keeps falling into this and just when it looked like he'd got something to replace his uniform, he ended up wearing the uniform as well as his default.
- Nagato seems to have gotten out of this. Well, if she wears any of the clothes she and Mikuru bought.
- The Scottish Trope: In Open Battle Chapter 1, during the POV of one of the Sumiyoshi-rengo, at one point he refers to Kyon as 'the boy who he absolutely had not heard the name of.' This was immediately after Yuki said something that 'not a single man would acknowledge what they had heard.'
- The Scream/Screaming At Squick: Haruhi when Tsuruya shows her the pictures of her investigation. Later Yanagimoto Ai when she's shown the same pictures.
- Screw Yourself: Implied that Kyon dreamt of a situation involving Mikuru and this trope. He cuts himself off though...
- Secret Keeper:
- Miyoko (who went by Miyokichi in the novels) after she gets to know about Kyon and time travelling.
- And before that his aunt Rika, but she had to reveal her own story first.
- Kyon's sister is aiming to gain enough trust from her brother to become one.
- In Laying Low arc, Chapter 1, Sakanaka and Yanagimoto aren't convinced that Haruhi and Kanae are really in a Romantic Two-Girl Friendship and try to get Haruhi to explain what's really going on. Haruhi eventually reveals to them the plan for a Marry Them All arrangement between Kyon the the rest of the girls in the Brigade. Both girls promise to keep it secret.
- Security Cling: Haruhi specifically tries to invoke this trope by having Kyon take Mikuru to see a gory movie. Mikuru ends up in Kyon's lap, with Haruhi clinging to one arm and his sister's friend clinging to the other.
- Sempai-Kohai: Kyon and Kanae. And as of Thwarted Lull Chapter 4, Suzumiya-sempai as well.
- Shipper on Deck: Most of the girls in the Big Damn Harem ship each other with Kyon, but Haruhi makes a conscious effort to do this.
- Ship Sinking: Subverted in Storm Begins Arc 1. Yuki comments "It is not ... mutual" when Kyon stayed to comfort her (Yuki had to save Kyon from something that makes her afraid). After Kyon's answer - he believed she was talking about their relationship and even had to give himself a Better as Friends inner monologue - Yuki explains that what she really wanted to say is that her own actions aren't on par of what she expected Kyon to do.
- Ship Tease: Kyon is teased with most single female characters. Especially Kanae, who has dated Kyon before in an Alternate Universe.
- Shout-Out: There's a ton. So many so that we've set up a page for them.
- Show Within a Show: There is a Trope-tan anime and movie.
Trope-tan: Chekhov ... BEEEEEEAM!
- Also "Brave Detective Sasha" novel series, written by Rena.
- Shutting Up Now:
- In Calm Before the Storm Chapter 3, after Kyon notes Haruhi's too calm reaction to her learning Kanae involuntarily teleported herself to Kyon's bed during the night.
Kyon: Part of me wants to say that your reaction to this is incredibly unreasonable. Rather, only you would look at something so incredibly unreasonable, and choose to be so reasonable about it.
- In Laying Low, chapter 1, after Yanagimoto utters an oddly worded sentence.
"Yeah, but I can't let Tani-baka know about this -- ever," Yanagimoto said, shaking her head. "The second he heard about it, his head would explode!" She blinked, thinking about what she just said as her face reddened. "And I'm going to shut up now," she muttered, reaching for her slightly melted sundae.
- "Silly Me" Gesture:
- Tsuruya in Filler arc 4 when she had to explain about "kinship rituals" to Haruhi.
- Adult!Mikuru in Initial Conflict arc 1 when she told Kyon she lost certain photo of hers.
- Slow Path: Kyon is sent about half a day back in time so he could help Tsuruya (and then staying at her house) while being grounded without trouble. Future Kyon had to stay the night at home.
- Small Blackout: To Hinamizawa. Apparently happens a lot.
- Sound Effect Bleep: In the form of a car horn when Fujiwara calls Tachibana a bitch.
- Square-Cube Law: The robot Kyon fought violates that law with its spindly legs.
- Squick: In-universe example: this is Kyon's reaction to Yuki taking the remnants of Ryoko's data for future use. From Ryoko's old bloomers.
- Stable Time Loop: There's one every few chapters.
- Also, due to the nature of time loops and causality, Kyon knows the only thing preventing the IDSE from getting revenge on him for making Yuki disconnect is the fact that he's involved in several loops, and killing him might cause tons of trouble to time.
"I'm putting that off for now," he said with another shrug. "I need to keep a time loop open to occupy the IDSE anyway."
- Stealth Pun: Chapter Eleven's name is Yeah, It Went There, as it's saying this chapter will get Up to Eleven.
- Sunnydale Syndrome: Sasaki does this to herself in chapter 37, trying to make sense of what Kyon did and said while rescuing her from Kuyou's organization troops. She ends up deciding that "time traveler" is actually a codeword for "organized criminal", among other things.
- Super Window Jump: Kyon does this in the Initial Conflict arc whilst holding a spy.
- Sure, Let's Go with That: When Kyon accidentally leaves his coat and equipment behind in his sister's room, Achakura tries to get Nonoko to bring it to him as expediently as possible. During the course of Achakura's explanation, she resorts to this trope to avoid wasting time with additional explanations.
Nonoko: And it's going to turn me into a magical girl?
- Suspiciously Specific Denial:
- Hanyuu watched Kyon while he was bathing because he disappeared the night before. She had no ulterior motive to keep an eye on him, or admire his surprisingly toned physique as he patiently watched over one of his younger cousins. She was just ensuring he was okay, unhurt after the mysterious events, and that was the only reason she was staring at him so closely!
- Kanae swore that her sliding into Kyon's bed and sleeping with him was a complete accident. Haruhi lampshades her constant Innocent Innuendo around Kyon.
Kanae: I didn't mean to fall into Sempai's bed! We weren't sleeping together on purpose - it was an accident!
- Sweat Drop: Mikuru after telling Haruhi about when Kyon accompanied her buying cloth and a sewing machine.
- Switching POV: Changes in character focus are signaled by a break.
- Take a Third Option:
- Haruhi can't unbottle her feelings about the consequences of her powers because it will cause even more strain to others, and she can't ignore it either because she cares about the SOS Brigade. In order to prevent an Heroic BSOD she runs a Memory Gambit on herself so she doesn't destroy the world on an accidental whim.
- What do you do if you are part of an Unwanted Harem but don't want anybody to lose? Marry Them All!
- Word of God said that the story follows a Higurashi plot called "Mitsuhoshi-hen", which literally translates as "third-way chapter," in reference to the fact that the version of Higurashi considered "canon" for this story, rather than following one of the two "official" endings, is a combination of Matsuribayashi-hen and various elements from the other Higurashi arcs.
- Talking in Your Sleep: In the first Chapter of the Straightforward Flashback Arc, Yuki teleports Kanae, Mikuru and Kyon into her home. Kanae was asleep throughout the teleportation and starts talking in her sleep.
"Mmm, Sempai," Kanae murmured in her sleep with a quiet giggle.
- Tempting Fate:
- Sure, Kyon, name the piece of sophisticated technology capable of self-advancement and created from the data of Ax Crazy Asakura Ryoko Skynet. What could possibly go wrong? 
- In the beginning of Thwarted Lull Chapter 3, Koizumi muses that he is the most normal among the extended SOS Brigade. He soon realizes he can use his powers outside closed space.
- That Came Out Wrong: When Tsuruya and Kyon are disguising themselves as students of another school:
Tsuruya: Now, Kyon-kun, can you get on your knees?
Tsuruya: *chuckles* I have to do your hair.
- The All Solving Hammer: Tsuruya Kenshiro's approach to...pretty much any problem, really, is "buy the institution involved".
- The Thing That Goes Doink: There's one at the restaurant where Tsuruya and her father invite Kyon's family for a formal dinner in Initial Conflict Chapter 5.
- The Trope Without a Title: Haruhi's favorite website is never mentioned by name. However, as it's mentioned it's a wiki, it inspired the Trope-tan anime, and has an entry for Head Pet, the name of this website isn't exactly a mystery for the reader.
- The Reveal: Kuyou explaining how Sasaki's powers are expressed, that being a Power Nullifier of everything she doesn't believe possible on anything she can observe.
- The Tape Knew You Would Say That: Future Kyon likes to do this with his instructions to Past Kyon, probably since it helps avoid spoilers.
Haruhi: Can I go [back in time] with you?
- They Fight Crime: She's a wealthy heiress. He's a role model for a so-called goddess.
- A Threesome Is Hot/One True Threesome: One of Kanae's hentai doujinshi features herself, Haruhi, and Kyon.
- Throwing Down the Gauntlet: Wataru gives one to Kyon by causing what seemed like a small earthquake and shouting "Kyon! Face me!" that probably everyone in Kitago could hear.
- Time Bomb: The IDSE gives Yuki advance warning of her impending deletion in Chapter 1, and she periodically gives countdown times in the conversation with the Brigade.
- Tired of Running: One Fictional Document refers to what to do in this case.
- Too Dumb to Live: Haruhi thinks that of Taniguchi. He doesn't realize that using his scale in front of Haruhi to rate Kanae an A- would arouse her curiosity. And that Kyon would most probably explain it cynically. And that Haruhi might be offended to find out Taniguchi's view of girls.
Kyon: Taniguchi's a living perv-wiki. He's rated all the girls on a grading scale and only learns the names of those who get an 'A' or better.
- Too Much Information: By Kyon's request, Koizumi explained that he gained his ESP powers when both Haruhi and him were undergoing puberty. At the beginning, he found it extremely difficult separating their feelings at first, which led to highly awkward situations. Kyon realizes his mistake and declares that he never wants to clarify that.
- Tricked-Out Time: Since Fujiwara declares that he is effectively immortal until he travels back in time to the beach in Calm Before The Storm, Kyon takes out his PDA, scans him, and notes that he now has a perfect image. Since Kyon wouldn't know the difference back then, he just made "killing Fujiwara" a viable option again. Mikuru thus wonders whether she could alter time by changing events as predetermination is set by observations and records.
- Trigger Phrase: Kyon is given one if he needs to revert the Memory Gambit.
- Troperiffic: Need it be repeated what it has crossed over with?
- True Companions: Of course the SOS Brigade are these. Everybody, including Tsuruya and Kanae was relieved when Kyon woke up from his gunshot-caused unconsciousness. Kyon even points this out.
- Trust Password: The story starts by Kyon using his Trust Password so Haruhi can believe him and help Yuki.
- Tropes Will Ruin Your Life:
- Kyon's optimism and interest in the supernatural was destroyed by Sasaki's incessant deconstructionism; likewise, Sasaki's automatic Deconstruction of the Power of Love appears to have been what ruined her relationship (and chances of romance with) Kyon.
- It also occasionally causes Haruhi difficulty when it comes to explaining things.
- Achakura thinks it might eventually become sentient. She doesn't expect it to be very sympathetic to her, but until then, she finds it helpful for understanding human culture.
- Unbroken Vigil: After Kyon had a bullet surgically extracted, Haruhi, Yuki, Mikuru and Tsuruya stayed the night in the hospital keeping him company, even if Yuki had already healed him. As a bonus, both Haruhi and Yuki sleep in the bed with him.
- Undead Tax Exemption: The slider always had a complete identity in every world she visited, including school records, friends and family. Later it's deconstructed when it's revealed that she slides mentally, replacing or overwriting the local Kanae with her thus never needing to have an identity-- she uses the local Kanae's. She doesn't realize it.
- Unrequited Love Switcheroo: It's revealed Kyon had a crush on Sasaki in their backstory (not that any of them realized that at the time). Now Sasaki has realized her own crush on Kyon (he has already gotten over his), who is set to be wed to Tsuruya and to be part of a Marry Them All scenario.
- Unstoppable Rage: Haruhi especially, coming dangerously close to killing people when Kyon is in danger. Kyon is prone to this as well when anybody from the SOS Brigade is threatened.
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: Kyon's response to Haruhi remaking the world again.
Kyon: (yawning) This again?
- Verbal Backspace: After Kyon receives a greatcoat as gift from Mikuru in Gearing Up Chapter 3:
Kyon: I won't be able to get much use out of this until next winter, but I know once I do, I will greatly appreciate this! Asahina-san, I don't know what I've done to deserve such a fine present, but I am very grateful.
- Verbal Tic: In addition to Tsuruya, from the source material, her father also has it. Both of them lose it when they are stressed though.
- Verb This: Kuyou delivers one to slider!Kuyou.
Kuyou: Synchronize with that! Activating 'chibi mode'!
- Villainous Rescue: Fujiwara and Kuyou come to save Kyon and Kanae from an enemy slider. Kuyou wipes two of the weapons and Fujiwara takes one of them back to (presumably) his original time. Kyon takes one for himself.
- "V" Sign: Haruhi and Sakanaka to each other in Heroic Antics Begin I after Kyon and Haruhi return from a Student Council session.
- We Have Forgotten the Phlebotinum: In Open Battle Arc, Chapter 4, after Tsuruya and Haruhi's Bedmate Reveal, Kyon was so distracted taking care of his sick sister that he left his coat behind in her room, along with pretty much everything else in it.
- We Have to Get the Bullet Out: Played straight when Kyon is shot despite his going to a hospital where they could be expected to know better.
- Welcome to My World: On the third chapter of the Heroic Antics Begin arc:
Kyon: I assume that the Organization is reasonably aware of what we're doing?
- Wham Chapter: Gearing Up Arc I.
- Wham! Line:
- "But then, by that logic, if I had subordinates, they could help, too?"
- "Not half as monstrous as that thing you're trying to kiss."
- What Did I Do Last Night?: Mion in Fanservice Arc, Chapter 3. It was a three-way between Keiichi, Mion, and Rena. Rena's blush at that statement indicates that she remembers, and the others' reactions indicate that they know what happened, anyway.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Kyon thinks this as he was climbing across the peaked roof of a two-story house in the dead of night with Yuki. It Makes Sense in Context.
- What Measure Is a Mook?: Averted with Kyon on Heroic Antics Begin Chapter 4, when he was worried about how bad he had harmed the Mooks he just fought.
- What Would X Do?: To force Nonoko to go home, Kyon asked her, "What would a defender of justice do?". It actually worked as she had to be sure her friend get home safely.
- Who Are You?: Right after Kyon arrives to rescue Tsuruya and her bodyguard from a dozen Yakuza:
Yakuza Mook: You've bought yourself ten seconds, and a one-way ticket to a world of hurt, kid. Who the hell do you think you are?
- World of Cardboard Speech: In the second chapter of the Initial Conflict arc:
Mikuru(big): So ... in a roundabout way, you and I, together, even though I still stumble a little bit, are forging towards a brighter future. One that isn't predetermined to you, that doesn't damage the future I come from. If you understand what I said earlier ... you have the power to change me. Not my past self, so directly ... but your influence ends up helping me become the person I am. I could tell you everything; try to make it predetermined... I could say things were better or worse then they truly will be, and try to trick you into changing things for me. Once, I did - sort of - tell you about the goals of the people I work for. Instead, though, this time I'll do what Yuki-chan did. I'll tell you nothing, even if you would believe me. But I'm not trying to keep you in the dark because I want to manipulate you ... I'm telling you as little as possible because I believe in you. I have absolute confidence that if I don't limit you, you will achieve something wonderful. And maybe, just in small, selfish bits ... I might lead you towards something that I think we both would like...
- Yakuza: Tsuruya, later Kyon, and later still the entire SOS Brigade.
- Year Inside, Hour Outside: Part of Yuki's training sessions. She creates pocket dimensions and uses Kanae and the dimensional anchor to slide into them. That's where Kanae, Mikuru and Kyon practice sliding, sewing and cooking, and martial arts respectively. After a year, Mikuru uses her TPDD to send them back to the correct time and Yuki de-ages them, thus also invoking Took a Level In Badass at the same time.
- Years Too Early: In Straightforward Flashback Chapter 2, after Kyon's sister awakens her brother by trying to tickle him, he says her she's a hundred years too young to try that on him.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: When Haruhi learns about her powers, she also learns the world is in constant threat of destruction because of closed space and how hard times has Kyon lived because of her. All of this makes her worry if she's forcing Kyon against her will if not outright breaking him, bordering a Heroic BSOD in Straightforward Flashback Arc I. Kyon counters by mentioning her own growth and whatever trouble she's causing, it isn't intentional on her part.
- You Are Not Alone: Michikyuu Kanae concludes that staying in this world will put the SOS Brigade in risk. The rest of the brigade tell her that she can trust them with her troubles, the same way she has helped them before.
- You Can Say That Again: In Initial Conflict Chapter 4.
Kyon: Lost your excuse to sneak out and grab a smoke without mom noticing?
- You Can See Me?: Hanyuu and Yuki (by that time existing only in as data in order to watch over Kyon) are able to see and touch each other. The surprise is for the former.
- Kyon to Haruhi when he saves her from being run over by a minivan.
- You Did Everything You Could: Yuki blames herself for not foreseeing events that could injure Kyon. He reminds her that she trained him, gave him most of his weapons, and that he's still alive.
- You Have No Idea Who You're Dealing With: Said to Kyon in Initial Conflict arc Chapter 3 the first time (chronologically speaking) he fights Yakuza.
Mook: You don't know who you're messing with.
- Of course, since he is time travelling, Kyon already knows.
- You Just Told Me: Used by Haruhi against Kyon in the Calm Before the Storm Arc, Chapter 5.
- And then Haruhi falls into one in the Open Battle Arc, Chapter 7, even though she wasn't even the one being asked. Sure, Kunikida already knew, but nobody else in the room did.
- You Wouldn't Believe Me If I Told You: In Fanservice Arc, Chapter 2, after being convinced to tell his stories about the supernatural.
Kyon: (through Manly Tears) I...it's... It's nothing nearly that bad. I wouldn't... You may still think I'm crazy, and... Well, parts of this are secrets I don't really tell anyone else, but...
- and end up engaged
- chapter 54
- Yuki made it from Asakura's data remnants
- He made himself invisible.
- Although the fanfiction.net version only holds up to Open Battles Arc III (Chapter 46)
- Tsuruya Haruka (Tsuruya-san), if you don't already know.
- Matsuribayashi-hen and Miotsukushi-hen
- Note that Kyon is expecting it to betray him. It also got itself hooked up to the Internet already.