|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Kyojuu Tokusou Juspion (Giant Beast Investigator Juspion) was the fourth in the Metal Heroes series of Tokusatsu shows. It is extremely popular in Brazil due to it being broadcast in the 80s. The series revolves around space orphan Juspion and his eccentric android assistant Anri, who are sent by old wizard/scientist Eijin to destroy Satangorth and his army of Megabeasts (kyojuu), as prophesied in The Galaxy Bible. He has a giant robot at his disposal and is followed around by Team Pet Miya.
The series provides examples of:
- AI Is a Crapshoot - The villains' plot in one episode is to use household appliances against the people through robot maids.
- Luckily, it never happened to Anri... (to wit: the only time the villains attempted this was in episode 10, but Juspion saved her in the nick of time)
- Catch Phrase - In the Brazilian dub, "maldito Jaspion!"
- Cosmic Horror - Satangorth.
- Crystal Dragon Jesus - The Golden Bird.
- Eldritch Abomination - Satangorth's ultimate form, which he assumes towards the end of the series.
- Evil Twin - Juspion's enemy is Satangorth's son Madgalant, who has a suit of Powered Armor similar to Juspion's only black.
- Funny Afro - Juspion had it during his Idiot Hero phase.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Madgalant is Junichi Haruta, a.k.a. GoggleBlack/DynaBlack.
- Humongous Mecha - The Daileon.
- Idiot Hero - Juspion was written as one at first, but actor Hikaru Kurosaki forced the writers to change him a bit, as he wanted to do a more dramatic performance.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice - How Madgalant dies for the second time.
- Important Haircut - The mark of Juspion's Character Development.
- Kaiju - Main enemies in this one, get beaten up by the Daileon.
- Magic Versus Science - Pointed out in episode 33: being a gynoid, Anri cannot be affected by Gilza's magic.
- Mondegreen - As shown wonderfully "here" in Brazilian Portuguese.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter - Miya, the bipedal monster who accompanies Juspion and Anri.
- Ridiculously Human Robot - Anri, in spades.
- Secret Public Identity - Unlike previous Metal Heroes, "Juspion" is the hero's real name.
- Spell My Name with an "S" - The Brazilian dub calls the series and its main character "Jaspion", following the kana spelling; although the name is supposed to be a portmanteau of "Justice" and "Champion".
- But in Portuguese, Jaspion is pronounced just like in English, Juspion. In Portuguese, Juspion would be pronounced "Joospion".
- "The Villain Sucks" Song - "Kyojuu-tachi yo" is basically the monsters lamenting that Satangorth is making them attack.
- Tokyo Is the Center of the Universe - Madgalant constantly makes the point of turning Tokyo (sometimes, all of Japan) into the land of monsters.
- Tragic Monster - the reason for "The Villain Sucks" Song. The giant beasts are simply creatures of varying levels of intelligence that are minding their own business until Satangorth forces them into an enraged state. With no way to reverse it, Juspion must take them out to protect the humans and aliens at their feet, but the monsters are victims too, every last one.
- Villainous Breakdown - Madgalant suffers one in episode 45, due to his inability to accept that a mere human like Juspion could defeat him, a mutant. He goes so far as to become a second Satangorth, but doesn't get to do much.
- Would Hurt a Child - Pretty much the bad guys' point. Since the Golden Bird chose children as vessels before it can awaken, Madgalant (and, by extension, his dad) gleefully guns for them.