|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku o! is a 2013 series of light novels that has been adapted into a manga and an anime.
After his accidental death, the main character Kazuma is offered a chance to reincarnate to another world, where a hero is needed to defeat the evil Demon King. Kazuma is allowed to take one special thing with him , and he chooses the person making him the offer - the goddess Aqua.
So Kazuma and Aqua find themselves in a world that functions just like a roleplaying game, two among many hopeful low-level adventurers doing quests for money and XP. Soon two new girls join in, making for an adventuring party of four.
Written by Natsume Akatsuki. Art by Kurone Mishima. Published by Kadokawa Shoten.
- Affectionate Parody: Of roleplaying games.
- An Adventurer Is You
- Kazuma: The Jack of All Trades.
- Aqua: The Healer.
- Megumin: The Nuker.
- Darkness: The Tank.
- Area of Effect: Megumin's Explosion spell.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Between Kazuma and Aqua.
- Black and White Magic: Embodied by Megumin the Arch-Wizard and Aqua the Arch-Priest.
- Black Mage: Megumin. She specializes in explosions.
- Cast From Hit Points: Megumin's explosion spell apparently works that way. It is possible though that the spell simply takes more mana than a low-level character can have and the cost overflows to hitpoints.
- Character Level
- The Comically Serious: Megumin. She is very serious about explosions.
- Crater Power: Megumin's explosions leave big craters. Not bad for a level 1 character.
- Crippling Overspecialization: Affects everyone except Kazuma.
- Curse: Darkness gets hit by a curse that leaves her only a week to live. Aqua solves the dramatic situation with a quick and simple Remove Curse spell.
- Elemental Powers: Fire, water, earth, and air are the basic elements. Holy also seems to exist. Chances are that Megumin's Explosion spell deals non-elemental damage and that's one of the reasons she chose to specialize in it.
- Experience Points: Gained by killing monsters.
- Eyepatch of Power: Megumin has one.
- Glass Cannon: Megumin can cast a high-level explosion spell... once per day, and then she is useless afterward. She refuses to put her skillpoints into anything that doesn't make her one spell better. Early on, the strain of casting the spell is so great that she collapses after it and has to be carried back to town.
- Job System: The jobs are divided into tiers, with higher-tier jobs having higher stat requirements for taking them. The rest of the party has high-tier jobs from level 1, but Kazuma has to contend himself with being an Adventurer, the absolutely most basic class.
- Level Grinding: Kazumi, Aqua, and Megumin grind on giant frogs.
- Luck Stat: Kazumi's Luck is remarkably high while all his other stats are strictly average. Conversely, Aqua has low Luck while most of her other stats are sky-high.
- Making a Splash: Aqua is a goddess of water after all.
- Mass Monster Slaughter Sidequest
- Master of None: The Adventurer job. Kazuma makes the most of it.
- Min-Maxing: Megumin invests her all into being the best at explosions.
- Darkness is built along those lines too, but she isn't actually trying to make herself powerful. In fact she wants to lose and be captured alive.
- Nice Guy: Kazuma.
- No Experience Points for Medic: The party chooses a quest involving undead just so that Aqua can use her Turn Undead ability and get some XP for once.
- No Hero Discount: The characters have a chronic lack of money. Justified because adventurers are so common in this world.
- Outside the Box Tactic: How Kazuma likes to solve things.
- Point Build System: Characters get new points every time they level up.
- Megumin's build is the sort that can only exist in a point buy system and showcases its flaws.
- The Red Mage: Kazuma builds his character this way.
- RPG Mechanics Verse
- Stone Wall: Darkness puts all her skillpoints each level on improving her armor. This leaves nothing for improving her attack - or anything else for that matter.
- Support Party Member: Aqua's only real offensive ability is Turn Undead.
- Turn Undead: Aqua's special ability.
- Video Game Stealing: The Steal skill steals a random item from the target. Kazuma learned the skill and to date has managed to steal two pairs of panties, a bra, the magic sword an enemy was fighting with, and the head of a boss monster who was admittedly a dullahan. Kazuma's extraordinarily high Luck Stat helps a lot here.
- Weaksauce Weakness: The demon general is vulnerable to the Create Water spell. It doesn't kill him outright, but every little bit helps.
- White Mage: Aqua.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: Darkness seems to think she lives in a hentai manga. Well, something pornographic and sadistic at least, since she seems to obtain sexual enjoyment from pain.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Aqua's hair is blue.