|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
An incredibly relaxing Freeware platform game by Nifflas, the creator of Within a Deep Forest and Knytt Stories. The game combines basic gameplay elements of the Ico series with the drowsy atmosphere of Creatures, only cuter, and shorter, and happier. And with really sweet retro graphics. And made of breathtaking Scenery Porn.
The story is quite simple: The Knytt, a weird little creature, gets abducted from his native planet by an alien. However, before reaching it's supposed destination, the alien's ship crashes against an astroid, and the alien makes an emergency landing on a nearby planet. If he ever wants to get home again, the Knytt must help the alien recover the parts of the spaceship which has been scattered all over the strange planet.
The strange little world is a gorgeous, diverse maze full of little houses and curious little critters. Some want to attack the Knytt, whose only power is jumping -- it can't fight or defend itself. Some just live their own little lives while the Knytt walks by.
The game can be finished in less than an hour, but its non-linearity gives it a high Replay Value. There's a massive bonus area too, if you know where to look. You'll probably want to play it a few times over. With a nice cup of tea.
This game has examples of:
- Alien Abduction
- Asteroid Thicket: Intro sequence.
- Back Tracking: You'll end up doing it a lot. But that's alright. It's nice, really.
- Blackout Basement: The further underground you go, the darker it gets. If you're not playing in fullscreen, then you may not even be able to see anything.
- Bonus Dungeon: Well-hidden, but massive.
- Bonus Boss: Not really a boss since you can't fight, but one exists, and its name is the Das Magdenburska Martian Deathray Pantzer Crawler.
- Cheat Code: Two secret locations may be used to obtain a code.
- Bubbly Clouds
- Flip Screen Scrolling
- Ghibli Hills
- Heroic Mime: Knytt.
- No Pronunciation Guide: It's a Swedish game. "K'neet" comes pretty close.
- If you can read IPA, found here it's "[kni:t]" (not to be confused with the English verb).
- One-Hit-Point Wonder: Knytt again.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Knytt, but there are a lot of cute creatures to be seen along the way.
- Save Point
- Spikes of Doom: The more eastern areas have golden spikes that, like liquid, will kill you on contact.
- Spin-Off: The game's opening sequence appeared in Within a Deep Forest originally.
- Super Drowning Skills: If the Knytt touches any liquid, it dies.
- Wacky Wayside Tribe: Usually don't appear for more than one screen. They all look pretty happy.
- Wave Motion Gun: Das Magdenburska Martian Deathray Pantzer Crawler.
- Wall Jump: The Knytt's main power.