|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
You could be the next victim!
A 1977 horror film starring William Shatner, in which hordes of tarantulas begin swarming and attacking the residents of a small Arizona town after their natural food supplies give out. Perhaps most remembered today for the gruesome spider-victim FX, and the bizarre but not-exactly-a-twist ending. Shatner is also notable, this being one of those rare times when he actually makes an effort in the acting department, playing a flawed and even somewhat multifaceted character.
This film contains examples of:
- Attack of the Killer Whatever
- Attack of the Town Festival
- Big OMG
- Black Dude Dies First: Poor Colby.
- Cobweb Jungle
- Cue the Sun
- Dangerous Windows
- Empathy Doll Shot: Used when Terry dies.
- Hot Scientist
- Impending Doom POV
- Infant Immortality: Played straight and averted.
- ~It's Quiet... Too Quiet~
- Jump Scare
- Kill It with Fire
- Love Triangle
- Peek-a-Boo Corpse
- Psycho Strings: Used on the Peek-a-Boo Corpse scenes.
- Recycled Soundtrack: Most of the music was borrowed from old The Twilight Zone episodes, mainly the work of a young Jerry Goldsmith.
- Screaming Woman: Averted; Shatner does more screaming than lead Tiffany Bolling.
- Screams Like a Little Girl: The cropduster pilot.
- Too Dumb to Live: Birch is armed and there's a spider on her hand. She then shoots the spider and her hand.
- When the main characters board themselves inside a house it is clearly established that spiders are everywhere. So naturally everyone checks out what's wrong with the air conditioning when it starts malfunctioning.
- The Vietnam War: Robert's brother died there.