|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Analysis • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
These are recommendations made by Tropers for Kingdom Hearts, all of which have been signed. After a few samples, you will be able to judge whether you might be interested in the 'fic, based on who recommended it. No-name recommendations will be Zapped. Nobody would back up the rec. Discussion of the recommendation is welcome on the discussion page. As such discussion is important, do remember to add the discussion page to the watchlist, if need be.
Remember to warn for common triggers.
Add new examples at the bottom of the section, please.
Authors and Websites
- Recommended by L Guardinal
- Figment Tree and Quake With Fear are two great authors. Figment Tree mostly has gen one-shots, with a bit of slash/het, and one on-going (possibly dead) AU, Institution XIII. Quake With Fear has more slashy stuff, but the vast majority of her work is very dark and very gory (she's startlingly good at describing pain and guts. Not for the faint of heart, or stomach), with some one-shots and a few on-going fics (or rather, one on-going fic, and a few starts).
- Recommended by Shadic The Hedgehog
- Shire Folk is an excellent writer who has sent waves throughout the Kingdom Hearts fandom. He popularized the Rikuffie (Riku/Yuffie) pairing, amongst other things. The story has Maleficent as the main villain, who crosses the Moral Event Horizon several times throughout the trilogy. Shire Folk mostly manages to stick to canonically Disney worlds, with only one or two side-steps to completely unrelated worlds.
- Recommended by Handle2, whitesouldragon
- Several engaging stories including a TWEWY Crossover.
- Recommended by tropertea
- Has a very interesting take on Org. 13 that you don't see everyday, particularly on how Namine meshes in in with the rest of the group, despite being rather vaguely defined.
- Recommended by Mariko-chan, Monsta.
- Has just a little over sixty stories about Kingdom Hearts, and focuses mainly on the friendship of Axel, Demyx, and Roxas. She also takes alternate routes about the former two Somebodies, AND covers plots that most wouldn't think of doing. She has at least two OCs that joined the Organization, but besides focusing on how one was recruited, none of her fics are focused on them. Be warned, though; a few of her fics are Tear Jerkers, and, if you're going from a happy fic to a depressing one, Mood Whiplash.
- This guy's been mentioned multiple times, so let's put him here:
- A Sorrow of Magpies by Luc Court
- Recommended by Quillpaw, Ccoa, Daikiwixep, Socrathetic, Nadrixam, Quanyails
- Synopsis: A Sorrow of Magpies shows the formation of Organization XIII, mostly focusing on Vexen. It starts with the formation of the original six, and the formation of their base, then gradually adds on the newer members.
- Comments: This is a truly amazing story.
- Just the right amount of humor to leaven the drama. For a miracle, it doesn't characterize the organization as tragically misunderstood antivillains, but as truly dark individuals. Despite the fact that all of the core six cross the Moral Event Horizon, you still want to keep reading to the end. All the characterizations are spot-on and the story works with the KH canon almost seamlessly. Definitely a must-read.
- Though A Sorrow of Magpies is a fan backstory to Kingdom Hearts, and only the main games (1, CoM, 2) are used as a guideline, it still develops Organization XIII to the point it's canon, like stated above. Likewise, Luc Court doesn't see some characters as their twisted versions in Fanon, but as who they truly seem to be. One point that piques this troper, though, is the Purple Prose-ish writing in the story.
- The author, though very good, does have a habit of purple prose in all his fics.
- Pastoral Symphony in Blue Minor by Luc Court
- Recommended by Flight
- Synopsis: When Yen Sid gets a mischievous water spirit called Myde for a servant, he doesn't expect to actually grow fond of him, but he especially doesn't expect the whispers of shadows beyond the borders of music to stretch closer.
- Comments: This is non-canon, but a very good story concerning the origins of Demyx.
- Scheherazade, another by Luc Court
- Recommended by Thinks Too Much
- Synopsis: One-shot regarding Namine in The World That Never Was, before the start of the Castle Oblivion project. More accurately, it's regarding every member of the organization having to put her to bed, and each of their different variations on a bedtime story.
- Fascinating, full of Mood Whiplash done right - or more accurately, a story with a lot of funny moments but told in a very wistful, tragic tone. Lyrical and oddly touching, with intriguing imagery and with hints of a tribute to stories. According to the author it's a tie in with the above-recced A Sorrow Of Magpies, but you don't have to have read the first.
- A Sorrow of Magpies by Luc Court
- Reccommended by BlackPearlPrincess
- She only has 6 stories, all of which are currently completed but the quality of the writing and the length of those stories is truly astounding. Her shortest multi-chapter story has just under 75,000 words and her longest has 220,000 for gods' sake! She's also published a oneshot with 20,000 words. She has enough skill to dip in and out of different genres with each story and not make it seem like a noob writing it. She focuses on different couples also. For example, The City is at War is a crime thriller focusing on the Cloud/Leon pairing while Haunted by An Angel is a supernatural drama with Riku/Sora.
- Recommended by Dommie222
- This guy has written some of the most awestruck Mega Crossover fics ever to been created. He has written an entire saga that takes place after Kingdom Hearts II with 365,593 words combined, in there the characters makes some more awesome adventures. Here are the stories:
- Kingdom Hearts: The Taste of Darkness: It's the very first volume of Lord Moldybutt's saga. It start out somewhat weak but around chapter 6 it quickly becomes awesome, when Sora falls into the darkness, and then it gets even more awesome when it crossovers with Star Wars Episode 1. Thats right, KH crossovers with SW and, as expected, it doesn't take long before it becomes epic.
- Kingdom Hearts: One More Adventure: The second volume of the saga. This time, The Horned King enter the stage as the main villain who tries to claim Kingdom Hearts' power and that alone should tell you how awesome this fic is.
- Kingdom Hearts: Shadow of an Empire: The third volume of the saga. The guys returns to the Star Wars universe, this time around the time of the original trilogy. The fic tells the heroes' advantures and struggles as they allies with the Rebel Alliance against the Galactic Empire. The fic takes a little more deeper look into the characters than the last two fics as how the strange galaxy and the battle between the light and the dark sides effect the characters' mind, thoughts and feelings. An recommendation to both KH and SW fans. The only sad part is that it hasn't been updated since 2009.
- Recommended by Axisfiraga
- If you're a fan of Axel and Roxas, you should check her out for sure. You don't have to like them as a pairing to enjoy her bizarre but ever interesting characterization of the two...it's so different, but the more you read, the more it grows on you. She also goes on to write with Larxene, and I have to say, I don't think I've ever met someone who can keep to her character so well, and give an actual realistic vibe to her behavior. Her stories do tend to be AU, but man, are they awesome. Some of her stories:
- Eine Kleine Nachtmusik: This story focases heavily on Larxene, and her characterization in a modern world. She feels as though she isn't real, like at any moment she will fade away, but she's steadily trying to keep her head above water. You see her weakness, but with her spitfire dialogue, it's hard to anchor which type of person she really is. It's a bittersweet story eventually unfolding into Larxine with sprinkles of Akuroku, but the pairings are not what drives the story. Her strong character keeps you reading, because something is pricking at your nerves like something is going to happen. A surefire recomendation to anyone who is a fan of these characters, or who wants a new view on how humanity can be seen through the eyes of someone who is sane, but is looking through broken eyes.
- Loveology: We'll learn to love each other, if it's the last thing we do. And if we run out of time, at least we'll know what we had was real. Aku Roku. Larxiné. So Kai.: The story is viewed through three sets of eyes -- Roxas, Larxene, and Axel. This isn't about pairings, it's about bonds and understanding, but I would be lying if I said this didn't have a dark undertone. Roxas sees the world through numbers that nobody understands. Larxene knows what it's like to kill. Axel knows what it's like to watch someone close die. Somehow, through it all, they found one another and live through routine. But routine is fragile, and they're slowly forced to try and cope when cracks suddenly start to form. If you want a peak into the heads of those three, this is definitely the story for you, and you won't be disappointed.
Stories in this category run the full range of genres and themes. If it's set in the main Kingdom Hearts continuity and the romance is not the focus then it belongs here.
Those Lacking Spines by Gexegee/Organization VI (meta, parody, crossover)
- Recommended by Fleb, Nadrixam, Quanyails, Chaosof Ages, User:Ellamew, Gamerex 27
- Synopsis: When Organization XIII is laid low by a new enemy called the "Gutless" that attacks its victim's... you-know, it's up to the Organization's manlies--er, surviving members to save the day. Along the way many common fanfiction plots are roasted and Organization XIII watches Moulin Rouge It's also hysterically funny.
- Recommended by User:Hobgoblin
- Synopsis: While Sora and Riku deal with the looming threat of the Organization at Castle Oblivion, Kairi and several of Sora's friends find themselves fighting for their lives against thirteen evil spirits.
- Recommended by Minkette
- Synopsis: Axel decides to get revenge on the other members of the organization by playing pranks on them in the middle of the night, starting a snowballing night of chaos and roping Roxas into the "fun".
- Recommended by Finalhazard Jones
- Synopsis: Takes place after Kingdom Hearts II. Sora, Kairi and Riku are back on Destiny Islands when they come across a newcomer who bears some similarities to the Heartless. The questions of who he is, how he came to be, and what happens next make up the rest of the plot.
Kingdom Hearts by hikaranko
- Recommended by Pata Hikari, whitesouldragon
- Synopsis: The title really says it all. A well done, in depth novelization of the first Kingdom Hearts game. A Dead Fic.
Jumping at Shadows by Alyssa2
- Recommended by Pata Hikari, whitesouldragon, Meteor
- Synopsis: Riku's fall to darkness didn't begin with a raft or a storm.
The Mouse Who Would be King by Lynx
- Recommended by User:Pata Hikari
- Synopsis: The story of King Mickey, and how he became the person he is by the time of Kingdom Hearts.
- Recommended by Pikawil, Ingonyama, Deadbeatloser 22
- Synopsis: Described by the author as "part fanfic, part prediction, part wishful thinking", this is essentially his own vision of Kingdom Hearts 3, featuring Sora and the gang fighting new enemies named the Dreamless. Unlike most fics, it is more like a walkthrough for a fictional game, going into detail about game mechanics and setting details, with an additional emphasis on bosses.
- Ry Senkari: Note from the author, the parts of the story concerning Xion were Jossed by Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days. Just a bit of a warning there.
Other Halves and Other Tales by Vulpes Lapis
- Recommended by Pata Hikari
- Synopsis: An two-part, old series that predates Chain of Memories, best described as a Slice of Life series that happens to take place in Traverse Town.
The Interference by Newbie-Spud
- Recommended by Shy Tenda, Anthem, Gamerex 27, The Meddler
- Synopsis: An average boy gets pulled into a video game. He has the power to change the story, but can he take that chance? And what is this mysterious "Lockshield?"
A Match Made in Hell by Ri2
- Recommended by Unspeakable Villain, Edrobot, Guitarfreak/Exe, bleachedsnow
- Synopsis: A short time after the conclusion of Kingdom Hearts II, Sora, Riku and Kairi are summoned to attend Maleficent's wedding to Pete, where they must contend with hilarious guests, difficult allies and a truly fiendish plot.
- Recommeded by Mew24ever
- Synopsis: Set just after the end of KHII. There were things that Sora himself remembered, and there were memories that were not entirely his own. And he decided to honor one of those memories. An Axel/Sora friendship fic with implied Axel/Roxas friendship as well, though the fangirls can interpret it as more if they wish.
- Comments: Like every good Kingdom Hearts fangirl, I frikkin adore Axel. And this WAFF with just a hint of melancholy thrown in gives me the warm fuzzies everytime.
Kairi GaidenBy Xavon Wrentaile
- Recommended by Halinmonk
- Synopsis: Set in the middle of KHII it tells a story centered around Kairi after she is half forced into a epic adventure all her own, and chooses to stand against Axel rather then run off.
- Recommended by Pepper-Jak, Landscape
- Synopsis: Sally had a big brother once. His name was Lae. A short and dark story based on the idea that Axel was originally from Halloween Town.
The Yaoi Problem by Ultiman92
- Recommended by Sapphire Blue
- Synopsis: The Author Avatar walks in on a Yaoi Fangirl writing a new fanfic, and decides to show her what not to do when writing Kingdom Hearts slash. Hilarity ensues
Disorganization by Esse
- Recommended by: Saviour Seph
- Synopsis: A lot can happen in a year. Very silly fic that covers the what the Organization does in the year they spent waiting for Sora to wake up. Heavier on the Disney love than a lot of Kingdom Hearts fic.
- Recommended by AngelForm
- Pairing: Riku/Kairi
- Synopsis: One-shot. The Keyblade waits, in the darkness of Between, for Riku to make a choice. And when he chooses Darkness, the Keyblade lets a few tears drop... because it can see the future Riku could have had, if he only had the courage to grasp it.
But That Was In Another Country by Guardian1
- Recommended by Solle, Meteor, moooomoooo
- Synopsis: Sometimes the good guys don't win against unstoppable odds. Yuffie Kisaragi and the last stand: before Traverse Town, there was the Planet, and before Sora, there was AVALANCHE.
- Recommended by Ditto*The*Dee
Sora/Kairi, Roxas/Namine, Leon/Rinoa, Vincent/Tifa, Yuffie/Demyx, Xigbar/Paine, Tidus/Yuna, Marluxia/Larxene, Cloud/Aerith.Many, including some not listed here.
- Synopsis: It’s a trilogy that begins with “Kingdom Hearts: Axelerate!” The Organization XIII have been revived(And what’s this? Kairi can control them!), who are given a second chance by gaining what are known as ‘heart pieces’. With these heart pieces they can regain their lost hearts by relearning a given emotion, such as trust and bravery. However, Axel is separated from the group, with a strange being, and through many tests to save the lost friend the group learns to be human again.
- Recommended by Meteor, Xire, whitesouldragon
- Synopsis: During his first attempt to capture Roxas, Riku gets into a bit more trouble then he expected.
- Recommended by starstuff99, whitesouldragon
- Synopsis: A series of connected one-shots. The training of Ventus, Aqua, and Terra under Master Eraqus's watchful eye.
A Noble Truth by sharky-chan
- Recommended by crackersdon'tmatter
- Synopsis: The first noble truth is that life means suffering. Auron makes a choice that leaves him in a very dark place. Spoilers for Final Fantasy X and for Auron in Kingdom Hearts 2.
- Recommended by whitesouldragon
- Synopsis: "I'm what's left. Or... maybe I'm all there ever was." Xemnas talks to his "friend" in the Chamber of Repose.
- Recommended by LoveIsWeird
- Synopsis: .:Krissey:. Sora was never a normal child; perhaps having an imaginary friend proved it, or even furthered it, considering what "VenVen" taught him and essentially was in his life. Now it's time to return the favor. .:HEAVY SPOILERS FOR BBS:.
- Recommended by Animenutcase, User:Ellamew
- Synopsis: Once you enter Silent Hill, there's no turning back.
- Recommended by Person With Many Aliases
- Synopsis: A traveler stays at the end of the world for three days and two nights.
Cooking Mama By Lily Silver
- Recommended by Adamante
- Synopsis: Due to an unfortunate incident caused by the Organization's newest member, Demyx, a few of the members have been transformed into kids! With Vexen busy trying to find a cure, it's up to Mama Saix to take care of them in the meantime.
- Recommended by User:Suspiciouscookie
- Synopsis: Oneshot. Post KH 2. Glimpse of a final ending for the once children of the Destiny Islands. Failed potions and failed letters trapped in bottles. But there will always be a door to the light. And to him.
- Recommended by Elemiel
- Synopsis: Isa should get an award for being Lea's best friend. Naturally, all he gets is a constant headache and a very crack-filled life. 100 Challenge Themes
- Recommended by Animenutcase
- Synopsis: Sometimes even the greatest pieces of work need a few changes to make them that much better. Oneshot.
- Recommended by Watashiwa
- Synopsis: Goofy didn't like war. Goofy didn't like fighting, even. But his friends and his king are all fighting a war against the darkness, and Goofy is nothing if faithful in his duty to both.
- Recommended by Watashiwa
- Synopsis: Seven Princesses of Heart were captured and had their hearts stolen. While they slept they remembered their lives before they were captured, but it's hard to dream happy dreams when you're trapped in a nightmare.
- Recommended by Watshiwa
- Synopsis: Kairi was in Sora's heart in the time between the Destiny Islands and Hollow Bastion. She remembers its warmth strength, but mostly she remembers the lights...
the Truth Hurts by rarmaster
- Recommended by Keyseeker
- Status: Complete
- Pairings: Riku replica X Namine, Sora X Kairi
- Synopsis: "Life on Destiny Islands is normal, until a battle-worn boy named Riku shows up, unable to remember anything. But if he does start to remember his past, how much will the truth hurt him? find out what happened to the Riku Replica after the events of Co M."
All the Pieces Lie Where They Fell by Forevermagik13
- Recommended by Keyseeker
- Status: Complete
- Pairings: Riku X Namine, Sora X Kairi, Roxas X Xion
- Synopsis "Sora and Riku are called to take their Mark of Mastery exam. But after that's over, there are hurts to be mended, forgotten things to be remembered, and lost people to find. It's another adventure! Oh, and all of those people you thought were dead-aren't."
- Recommended by Stargirl 93
- Synopsis: A post-KHII oneshot. Sora gets sick one morning and while his mom takes care of him, they start discussing the recent past, and the near future...
Thorns by Cold Soda
- Recommended by: Mini Bull
- Synopsis: A pre-KH oneshot that details a possible backstory for Marluxia, from the point of view of Maleficent. For over a decade, the two use one another to achieve their own goals, destroying a world and crushing its people in the process.
- Pairing(s): Dashes of Other!luxia/Maleficent. In any case, it's hinted to be just another part of the game rather than a display of affection or lust.
- Comments: Words cannot do it justice. It is dark. It is beautifully written. It stays true to the characters and blends seamlessly with canon. Its conclusion is both abrupt and haunting. And, upon reflection, it nicely parallels the relationship between Riku and Maleficent in the original Kingdom Hearts. A true gem of a oneshot that really Needs More Love.
Reconnect: Kingdom Hearts by Star Tours Traveler
- Recommended by: Keyseeker
- Synopsis:Sora embarks on a mission to reconnect with the people who were separated years ago. But in order to do so, he'll need the help of Aqua, one of the lost souls and the last Keyblade Master. They must try to work together in order to fully restore those who were lost. Spoilers for all KH games, especially Birth by Sleep.
- Pairing(s): So Kai, Venqua.
Thrones of the Four Pillars by Thaeonblade
- Recommended by: pulsor 93
- "Synopsis:" One year after the end of KH2, Sora, Riku and Kairi prepare for the journey that King Mickey's letter spoke of just as events outside of their world catch up to them. Meeting friends new and old, these friends will have to entrench their strengths and learn new ones as the Darkness once more gathers upon the world... All orchestrated by a familiar foe.
- Comments: Thaeonblade once again proves to be a master of crossovers and characters study as he gives the reader a look at a darker take on Sora's adventures post-KHII. At the moment of typing, the gang has only just left the island, but big stuff is most likely on the way.
- Now has it's own page: Link
Stories taking place in a different setting than canon.
- Recommended by Eigen Locke
- Synopsis: And the financial aid office said unto Roxas, "Go, child, and earn money. Only then will we allow you a place in our distinguished university." So Roxas got a job. A steady job. A square job. He now spends every evening singing show tunes at a bar. Aku Roku.
- Comments: A fun one-shot guaranteed to make you smile. It is incredibly well-written and the characters are real in a way lots of Kingdom Hearts get-together fics often aren't. If Kingdom Hearts was a sitcom, this would be the reincarnation it should take.
- Recommended by The World of Fantasy
- Synopsis: Join Sora in his new adventure, as he tries to stop the Keyblade War from consuming the worlds in darkness once again.
Lux Aeterna by Zellarius Burvenia
- Recommended by Vorel Laraek
- Synopsis: Post-KH alternate timeline where Riku killed Sora. Organization XIII is now free to conquer all; with darkness and nothingness at war for control of the universe, is there still hope?
There Wasn't by Tabitha Dornoc (character death, sort of)
- Recommended by RK Ryune
- Synopsis: Wonderful story exploring what would happen if Axel had gotten his way and succeeded in turning Sora into a heartless during the events of Kingdom Hearts II.
A New Light By Kee Blayd
- Recommended by Jazmyn
- Synopsis: About an OC named Kevin, and his adventures with other OC through different worlds.
- Recommended by NotJMKeynes
- Synopsis: Harvey Birdman, along with his faithful sidekick, Peter Potamus, goes to The Castle That Never Was to arrest the leader of Organization XIII, Xemnas, alleging copyright violation, since his Weapon of Choice reminds a lightsaber from Star Wars.
All The Roads We Have To Walk by Ginger Ninja
- Recommended by Comartemis, Watashiwa, Suspicious Cookie
- Synopsis: Several months after Ansem's defeat, Sora is sucked through a keyhole into a world that is strangely familiar yet completely different from the realm of light. As Donald and Goofy rally the supporting cast to try to get Sora back, the keybearer himself must contend with strange new Heartless on another quest to seal the keyholes and unlock the secrets of the strange realm he is trapped in.
Birds of Paradise by Crossover Queen
- Recommended by Sharysa
- Pairings: None confirmed yet.
- Synopsis: A Kingdom Hearts/Fire Emblem crossover that follows the plot of The Lion King, as experienced by Yuna. Due to the nature of both fandoms, this is already showing signs of being a Massive Multiplayer Crossover. Magitek abounds, since mages and healers are common despite the contemporary setting.
But You Have Heard of Me by Splat on the Floor
- Recommended by Mew24ever, whitesouldragon
- Synopsis: A series of hysterical drabbles, based on the 'what if' premise of Jack Sparrow being the one the Keyblade chooses.
- Recommended by Ultra Sonic 007
- Status: Complete
- Synopsis: Two years have passed since Kingdom Hearts. Sora, along with Ranma Saotome and the spirit known as Yami, must face a darkness both old and new as they at last find the source of their new enemies. But there remains a secret Sora cannot face...
- Status: Complete
- Recommended by Ultra Sonic 007
- Synopsis: Riku's sidestroy to 'Court of Souls'. Riku searches for Sora's lost Key Chains in worlds closely related yet far apart, and hiding a life-changing secret.
- Status: Complete
- Recommended by User:Nightelf 37
- Synopsis: Sora, Riku & Kairi, must travel the worlds to deliver the Hearts of Gold, items that will give people to wield Keyblades. They must also do this while under the threat of a new and powerful group. The Incompletes.
- Status: Complete
- Recommended by User:Nightelf 37
- Synopsis: One year had passed since the business with the Golden Hearts and Incompletes. Sora and co. have sensed a great evil and must now gather the Keyblade warriors and stop it.
Another Side, Another Story by Kay Willow and Libek
- Recommended by Mechwar, Meteor
- Pairings: Hints of Roxas/Namine and Sora/Kairi.
- Synopsis: At the beginning of Kingdom Hearts 2, Roxas ended his summer vacation and existence as a separate entity from Sora so the Keyblade master could awake. But what if something changed? What if the Nobody became the Somebody ?
- Recommended by whitesouldragon, moooomoooo
- Pairings: Cloud/Aerith/Zack, Yuffie/Leon, Yuffie/Lea, and a handful of side-pairings tossed in
- Synopsis: Zack, Cloud & Aerith. Before Sora was born, others fought the darkness, but even the greatest love stories can become tragedies in a heartbeat.
- Recommended by whitesouldragon, stupidcracker
- Synopsis: After sacrificing himself to save Sora, Axel passes into a strange realm where an old man in a bowler hat offers him a second chance at life.
- Recommended by Zero Potential
- Pairings : Ventus/Namine, Terra/Aqua
- Synopsis : Ventus is the lowly servant of Naminé, The Master's curiously insane ward, and yet, she's become dangerously attached to him. With the secrets Terra is hiding from him, and the secrets Aqua is trying to hide from the Master, it's hard for Ven to be Ven.
Reverse by RamaLlama
- Recommended by CelestialPuppet, User:Ellamew
- Pairings: Axel/Roxas. [However there is also Roxas/Namine, Sora/Kairi, Marluxia/Larxene, ect.]
- Synopsis: Roxas just wanted a sea-salt ice cream. He didn't plan on dying. And he definitely didn't plan on having his life rewound like a cassette tape. AkuRoku
Paths of Our Fathers by IluvAUs
- Recommended by FarisV
- Pairings: Sora/Kairi, Riku/Kairi, vaguely implied Sora/Riku, referred to Vincent/Lucrecia, implied Sephiroth/Rydia nonconsensual and implied Cloud/OC
- Synopsis: After the destruction of each of Xehanort's remnants, Sora thought he was finished saving the world. He thought wrong. Sephiroth, who until now has bided his time, has started to act. When Riku discovers his shocking past, can Sora keep him from the dark?
How to Become a Nobody by Junipertree
- Recommended by Mrc Hen
- Pairings: Axel/Roxas, Sephiroth/Cloud
- Synopsis: "Sora goes to the perfect school, has the perfect girlfriend and the perfect life... but sometimes he just needs to let go and become someone else."
Beating Drum Heart by Tuna Salad Sonnet
- Recommended by Nal
- Pairings: none
- Synopsis: "You know, Lex, there's a reason we call you the Silent Hero. Maybe you'll finally find it out there." (This story mostly takes place in the universe of the movie Pocahontas.)
Brutality by Gundam Kaizer
- Recommended by Eva Unit 01
- Pairings: (apparently) a little Roxas/Larxene
- Synopsis: "What if Axel had been accidentally sent on a long-term mission just before Roxas joined the Organization? Xemnas needs SOMEBODY to mentor Roxas, and there's no time to wait for Axel's return. Now suppose it's Larxene..." An Alternate Universe of Days.
- Recommended by one Rytex
- Pairings: Plays with Genesis x Sephiroth, Riku x Namine, Zemyx, Akuroku, and a lot of yaoi pairings. However, the only true pairings seem to be Clerith, Sephaerith, Tifaroth, and Roxine.
- Kairi and Namine are poor, and live with their aunt Tifa, a binge drinker. One chance encounter with Sora and his brother Roxas change their lives forever, as they go to live with their "Chief," who takes care of them until they are grown. Also, everyone else seems to be mildly psychopathic.
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.
- Recommended by Very Melon
- Pairing: Roxas/Xion with Axel/Larxene
- Synopsis: Roxas wishes everything in Organization XIII would go back to the way it was...but he never expected that would actually happen! Now he has to keep himself sane as he goes through all the trials that his wish brings.
- Recommended by User:Trollbez
- Pairing: Sora/Yuffie
- Synopsis: After losing to Sora twice in a row, Yuffie decides to train with him out in the woods as she struggles with her feelings and a not so little secret.
Those Without Hearts by The Lionheartless (AU)
- Recommended by Pata Hikari
- Pairing: Sora/Kairi
- Synopsis: An AU story taking place all on one world, a world being ravaged by the Heartless. King Mickey adopts Sora, the young wielder of the Keyblade. However, there's a problem, his heart is missing.
- Recommended by Zagreus. Seconded by Pepper-Jak, Suspicious Cookie
- Pairing: yes
- Synopsis: Sister fics set post KH2. Sora leaves Kairi behind on his newest adventure, setting off a chain of events that pit Sora, Kairi, and Riku against each other and ressurrect Organization XIII. Events unfold from the perspectives of the Nobodies in Nobody's Perfect and the perspective of their Somebodies in the original, creating a unique reading experience.
- Recommended by Corben Cypher
- Pairings: Namine/Zexion
- Synopsis: An AU fic with an alternate drastically different setting where certain original members of the order, Ansem, Xaldin, Saix, and others, are called "Lords" and rule a kingdom, follows the story of Namine through this world and her search for her brother Roxas.
- Recommended by User:Mysterynovelist 2010, User:Not JM Keynes
- Pairing(s): Implied Riku/Kairi, Kairi/Sora (but he's dead in this fanfic until the last chapter)
- Synopsis: After the events of Kingdom Hearts 2, Sora and the gang return to normal high school life, until one night Sora is viciously murdered by a Nobody named Ruxik; Kairi becomes the new Keyblader and with Riku and a few of their friends from the games, they battle Ruxik, who is determined to plunge the universe into darkness and make himself king of the darkness.
Incandescence by Arcticwaters
- Recommended by King Sonn Dee Doo
- Pairings: Axel/Larxene
- Synopsis: A series of one-shots (with occasional dashes of AU) featuring the frienship/relationship of Axel and Larxene, during their time in Organization XIII.
Boys Will Be By Lizzie Rebel
- Recommended by Outsider, whitesouldragon
- Pairings: Sora/Kairi and some Roxas/Namine
- Synopsis: oneshot, dark, Sora/Kairi -- it's like little boys in the summer, young and covered in blood
Reaching the Understanding By Varanus
- Recommended by Exceptional_Chocolate, Comartemis, CCIB, moooomoooo
- Pairings: Ven/Aqua/Terra
- Synopsis: Before the journey, through their days laughing together, they finally found an... understanding. Oh, but let's be clear, the Master must never know. Seriously. Has a half-related follow-up called As I Remember It.
The Lion In The Meadow By Guardian1
- Recommended by Unlucky Normalcy CLO, moooomoooo
- Pairings: Leon/Yuffie, mentions of Aerith/Cloud, Leon/Rinoa, and Vincent/Yuffie
- Synopsis: Yuffie, Leon, and the fine art of how to disturb the dead. A one-shot.
Birthday_Massacre by Skitts
- Recommended by: Ronasokily
- Pairings: Roxas and Namine.
- Synopsis: Roxas tries to solve the mystery of who killed Namine and how she died. A horror story, but not because of gore.
- Recommended by Animenutcase
- Pairing: Goofy/Aerith
- Synopsis:: Goofy buys a flower from Aerith and the story flows from there.
- Recommended by Hollownerox
- Pairing: Roxas/Namine with a bit of Sora/Kairi
- Synopsis: Set in an alternate universe where there is no Keyblades, darkness, disney characters and whatnot; basically an ordinary life fic focusing on the relationship of Roxas and Namine who at the beginning hate each other with a passion. In other words this is an opposites attract fanfic, very well written and the humor is well delivered as well as the character development and dialogue.
Yaoi and Yuri Pairings
The Renegades by abby_sarajane, chigrima and silvestris. (slash, explicit sex in some versions.)
- Recommended by L Guardinal, Pepper-Jak, Nenja, and Quanyails
- Pairings: Lexaeus/Zexion, Vexen/Marluxia, Axel/Larxene - also cases of Marluxia/Larxene, Vexen/Larxene, Lexaeus/Larxene, Lexaeus/Marluxia, Marluxia/Zexion
- Synopsis: The Plot-Bunny of Doom/The Renegades, by three different authors, is the story of the Castle Oblivion Nobodies. I can't summarize to save my life, but essentially, they messed up. They messed up bad, and so the six Nobodies fled the castle and Organization
XIIVII, hopping from world to world in a paranoid dash to save their hides.
Deceitful Above All Things by Quillslinger (slash, M-rated [though the explicit material is about two paragraphs out of a 18,000-word fic], AU due to being written prior to 358/2 Days)
- Recommended by Rocha, whitesouldragon, moooomoooo
- Pairings: Axel and Roxas.
- Synopsis: Contrary to popular beliefs, most of which were disseminated by Axel, he did not meet Roxas in a life-or-death situation involving a million Heartless and gravity-defying acrobatics. That part really did happen, just not on the day they met. Way before that, there was this summer day in Twilight Town.
Hourglass by Kuko-chan
- Recommended by Anderling
- Pairings: Sora/Riku
- Synopsis: "Sora's life was going fine until an older version of himself literally falls from the sky bringing news of a horrific future and a mission to turn back the hourglass. Now Sora must fight fate to protect the one he loves. Post KH 2 Riku/Sora."
Marigold by Falaphesian
- Recommended by thebutterflyeffect, User:Ellamew
- Pairings: Axel/Roxas
- Synopsis: "He never knew what not to do. But he always got it right. Up until The Lightning, The House, and The Kid all came crashing down. Now he just can't stop doing it wrong."
The Violet Room by Sarehptar
- Recommended by Meteor, User:Kris Mahai, Landscape
- Pairings: Demyx and Zexion, except it's not there yet in the story.
- Synopsis: While working a psychology internship, Myde is given the challenge of analyzing Ienzo, a mysterious patient who spends his days writing on the walls of his hospital room. But when the story of 'Zexion' and 'Demyx' starts to sound familiar...
Come Home by Lady Karai
- Recommended by Mademoiselle Anime Amour. Seconded by BlackPearlPrincess
- Pairings: Cloud/Leon, Axel/Roxas, Zexion/Demyx, Riku/Sora, Vincent/Yuffie, Mild Kadaj/Kairi
- Synopsis: A single night's mistake separated them for six years. When chance throws them back together, it will take more than love to heal the wounds and bring them home.
Binary by Lost Forevermore [Warnings: Contains strong language, slash, het, and lots of references to gang activity]
- Recommended by Mokyn
- Summary: It all starts with a motorcycle accident, a missing blond, and a stolen computer disc. Detective!fic, featuring Riku/Sora and Axel/Roxas among various other scattered pairings.
Butterfly Kisses By Pikachumaniac
- Recommended by bickazer
- Pairings: Riku/Zexion
- Synopsis: As DiZ and Riku prepare for Sora's awakening and the defeat of Organization XIII, Riku finds himself being haunted by a familiar figure. For even with no powers left, Zexion still knows his every weakness. Riku x Zexion.
Valiant Hearts II By Kuugen the Fox
- Recommended by Weird Raptor
- Pairings: Aerith/Tifa, Kaira/Namine/Olette, Olette/Yuffie
- Synopsis: An AU, Shipping fic about Kairi as the Keyblade Master instead of Sora. It's her struggles against the Organization XIII together with the Radiant Garden Restoration Commity and her fellow Keybladers, Olette and Namine. A far darker take on the story than the original. Takes place during the story of Kingdom Hearts II.
The Unfamiliar By the.israel.project107 (slash, rated M)
- Recommended by User:Ellamew, fanfictor, and generalwinter.
- Pairings: Axel/Roxas, Riku/Sora, Zemyx, Leon/Cloud
- Synopsis: Roxas leads a semiperfect life. He's a good person, with reasonable grades, friends he's growing out of, and a regular home environment. Until Axel comes along. Roxas doesn't realize just how much of a sham his whole existence is...
- Recommended by: Lililedger
- Pairings: Akuroku and Zemyx
- Synopsis: Four teenage boys. Four different types of cancer. One journey.
- Comments: Wonderful story, if a bit rough around the edges. The author manages to write yet another 'It's AU and they are high school students' fic without falling into the cliches that litter most other 'normal' A Us. The author is the son of a PA, and it shows with the amount of research that has clearly been done. He manages to handle a sensitive subject without being unbelievable or over the top.
- Warnings: It would be hard to write a story with four cancer patients without including at least a little character death.
- Recommended by: ittybittybot
- Pairings: Cloud/Sephiroth (although it's implied, it actually takes awhile to get there)
- Synopsis: Cloud made a deal with Hades to search for someone, but he may have taken off a bit more than he expected. There are some in the world that wish to control him for more than his fighting ability!
- Recommended by: suadela, moooomoooo
- Pairings: Sora/Riku and Sora+Roxas friendship
- Synopsis: It's about growing up, mostly. Sometimes it's about love and sometimes it's about friendship. Sometimes it's about hockey. But sometimes it's about the difference between what's real and what's fake, between being a boy and being a man.
- Comments: I'm not usually a big fan of AU high school stories, but this one is honestly one of the best pieces of fiction I have ever read. I would pay money to buy this in book form if it were available.
- Warnings: Rated Mature for language, drug use and sex.
- Recommended by: vampire_scooby
- Pairings: Zemyx, AkuRoku (Which seems to be bigger than the Zemyx at points), Sora/Riku
- Synopsis: Closeted band geek, Demyx, suddenly gets the urge to join the high school marching band when he sees Zexion, a member of the drum line. This story details his adventure though the marching season, and how all the relationships grow and change with band drama.
- Comments: One of the best AU's I've ever read for this paring. Not only are the characters all very in character, but it really captures that marching band feeling: including the drama, friendships, after parties, cheesy speeches, and why people do love the marching band.
- Recommended by: Axisfiraga
- Pairings: AkuRoku
- Synopsis: A story of loss, and coping, and remembering. It's not easy to die, but it's also not easy to be left behind. It's hard to smile when you want to cry, and it's hard to move on like nothing happened. This is a story about acceptance, and how hard that one word can weigh on the soul, but at the same time allow it to fly.
- Comments: A Tear Jerker if I've ever seen one. It's one of the best AU stories I've read, and it's bittersweet until the very end. It's stories like this that shows you how your world can come crashing down, but you'll still be able to pick up the pieces.
- Recommended by istolethecheese
- Synopsis: "What if…" he pauses, trying to find the right words, "What if there is a life after this one? What if we've already lived a hundred lives before this one?" Isa shrugs easily, "I wouldn't know the difference."