|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
A landmark Tex Avery cartoon made during his MGM tenure during The Golden Age of Animation, voted no. 10 on The 50 Greatest Cartoons list. This oneshot short is centered around a hungry cat who, in an attempt to get more meat out of a pea size canary snack ("Well... I'm sick."), pours a bottle of Jumbo Gro Plant Growth formula on him-only to make him grow to gargantuan proportions. The tables keep turning and turning as one of the other keeps drinking more of the formula as their battle continues. Obviously, Hilarity Ensues.
Tropes Used In This Short:
- Angry Guard Dog
- Attack of the 50 Foot Whatever
- Batman Can Breathe in Space: Possibly justified in that, since the characters have outgrown Earth, they're likely generating a gravity field that's sucking up air from Earth's atmosphere.
- Born in The Theater: The mouse tells the cat that he will save his life. He knows because he's seen the cartoon before!
- Canis Major
- Chekhov's Gunman: The mouse the cat meets early the in short, who promises to save him later. He does.
- Conveniently Empty Planet: No one is around to witness the four animals grow to giant size and chase each other around.
- Covers Always Lie: Not only is the canary not the focus of the short, but he's the smallest of all the four animals.
- Escalating War: Between the cat and the canary. And then between the cat and the dog. And then between the cat and the mouse.
- Mega Neko
- Mouse Hole: A train tunnel is used as one later on in the short.
- No Fourth Wall:
- Rodents of Unusual Size
- Serial Escalation: By the end, the characters have grown so massive that they are bigger than planet they're standing on!
- Shout-Out: The mouse reads The Lost Squeakend.
- Simpleton Voice: The cat.
- So What Do We Do Now?: Occurs when they run out of the formula and are stuck at the exact same size as each other.
- Ungrateful Bastard: The mouse follows through on his earlier promise to save the cat. The cat decides to eat him.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Well the actual mouse outgrew Earth itself with the cat but the dog and canary are nowhere to be seen come the end. They likely got killed by the other two standing on Earth.