|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
A character sheet for the manga/anime Kaze no Stigma.
A former member of the Kannagi household and the main male protagonist of the series. He was banished from the family by his father and changed his name to Kazuma Yagami after being defeated by Ayano during the successor ceremony for "Enraiha", his family's sacred sword, due to his inability to use Enjutsu. Four years later, he returns to Japan as a skilled master of Fūjutsu (Wind Magic).
- Anti-Hero: Type IV in the novels, Type III in the anime.
- Badass: The biggest of the series by far.
- Badass Normal: Before he got his powers.
- Heartbroken Badass
- Underestimating Badassery: When he meets his father for the first time in four years, Genma is thoroughly convinced that he couldn't become so strong by studying Wind Magic (which the Kannagis view as a 'lesser art'), right before Kazuma proves him wrong on epic proportions.
Kazuma: How about that, old man?! This so-called weakling just kicked your ass.
- Battle Couple: With Ayano. The two are often paired up for missions.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Kazuma goes to great lengths to save Misao because she protected him from bullies when he was younger.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Again, with Ayano.
- Berserk Button: It's recommended that you don't perform Human Sacrifice, especially with his little brother Ren. It reminds him of his greatest failure.
- Talking about throwing your life away is a pretty big one too.
- Black Sheep: Called this verbatim in the first episode. In reality, not so much, as he ultimately comes off as no worse than most of the other Kannagi members. Until his Face-Heel Turn, at least.
- Blow You Away: He couldn't master Fire Magic, so he mastered Wind Magic instead. He has a pact/contract with the spirit king of air, so he has a few more feats and tricks up his sleeve than other Wind Mages.
- Bodyguard Crush: Ayano's father uses the excuse of hiring Kazuma as Ayano's bodyguard to keep the two together in hopes of pairing them off, but Kazuma is actually smart enough to realize.
- Brutal Honesty: And Holy Mary, Mother of God, do we mean "Brutal"! He constantly makes harsh remarks about everything and everyone, particularly the Kannagis and their methods and, whether one likes it or not, a lot of what he says tends to have some truth to it.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Bullied by his family, grew up with a very controlling father, disowned for not having any fire talent and watched his first girlfriend get devoured by a demon right in front of him.
- Dead Little Sister: His failure to protect Tsui-Ling motivates him to awaken his true powers to protect those around him.
- Deadpan Snarker: Oh, so very much:
Shinji: Who gave you permission to come back to Japan?
Kazuma: No-one. I was never kicked out of the country, genius. Not that it's your business.
Sakamoto: So, Shinji, you know Mr. Yagami, then?
Shinji: Yeah, but "Yagami"'s not his real name. This is Kazuma Kannagi, the black sheep and disgrace of the Kannagi family.
Kazuma: I missed you too. Thanks, cousin.
- Determinator: He says it himself, and tries to get Ayano and Ren to be the same way.
- Dissonant Serenity/Tranquil Fury: Hardly ever loses his temper, and when he does, it's a very calm anger.
- Establishing Character Moment: Those snarky comments above? They're his very first lines in the series!
- Everyone Can See It: The attraction between him and Ayano.
- Face Heel Turn: For a few episodes near the end.
- Flight: Can use his wind powers as transportation.
- Friendless Background: Implied in the amusement park episode:
Ayano: Are you saying that you've never been to an amusement park before?
Kazuma: Yep. It's my first time.
Ayano: What? You never went with your friends when you were a kid?
Kazuma: No. That would require having friends.
- The Gadfly: Loves causing Ayano trouble.
- Genius Bruiser: Has high intelligence to go with his almost god-like powers.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: When he reaches his full power, his eyes become "blue as the azure sky".
- Heroes Want Redheads: Ends up falling for Ayano.
- Hey, You: Justified. He calls Genma "Old Man" because, due to the fact that Genma's disowned him, he doesn't consider calling him "Father" appropriate. Genma, for his part, doesn't care, saying that Kazuma can call him whatever he likes.
- Hypocritical Heartwarming: He constantly teases Ayano for his own amusement, but if he sees anyone else do the same thing, you can bet all of your money he'll make them regret it.
- Intimate Healing: Early on, he gives Ayano medicine via a kiss.
- Invincible Hero: Downplayed. He is by far the most powerful character in the series, and very few people can pose a threat to him. However, he frequently needs Ayano's help to deal with the villain of an arc, and states that while he may be a Contractor, that doesn't make him invincible.
- It's All My Fault: Blames himself for awakening to his power after Tsui-Ling's death rather than before it, to the point that he even considers letting Lapis kill him. Ayano calls him out for this, as she believes his death won't solve anything.
- Jerkass Has a Point: He has loads.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He's brutally honest, often charges money before he lifts a finger to help and always has a snarky comment ready at the expense of, well, pretty much everyone, but underneath it all there's a good guy who cares about those close to him, mainly his younger brother Ren and his new love Ayano.
- Kids Are Cruel: He was regularly beaten up as a child due to his lack of fire magic.
- Kissing Cousins: Him and Ayano are second cousins.
- Love Makes You Crazy And Evil: In the last arc of the anime. He gets better.
- Love Triangle: Him, Ayano, and Katherine
- Manipulative Bastard: Especially in regard to Ayano.
- Mind Probe: Used by his evil side.
- Mistaken for Murderer: He's lured back to Japan to set one of these up. A powerful Wind Mage is killing Kannagis, and he's a powerful Wind Mage with a motive to do just that.
- My Greatest Failure: Being unable to stop Tsui-Ling's sacrifice.
- Nerves of Steel: The number of times he's panicked can be counted on one hand.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: A more literal case than most examples; Kazuma blows a hole in the roof of the demon of Mt. Fuji's tomb in the process of saving Mayumi, breaking the seal that kept the beast asleep. Made even worse when you consider that if he hadn't done that, Ayumi wouldn't have had to sacrifice herself.
- Not So Different: The reason Kazuma shows sympathy for the Fugas; he was looked down upon for not using fire magic as well.
- Only In It For the Money: Played with. He charges the Kannagis money partially so he can make a living, and partially so he can act like he doesn't care about helping them when he actually does.
- Parental Abandonment: A subversion. He was disinherited and cast away by his parents, but that was to make him able pave a way for himself and succeed at life. Had he stayed a Kunnagi, he wouldn't have been in a very good position at all.
- Pet the Dog: He visits his father at the hospital and tells him to take care of himself.
- Personality Powers: His usage of the wind is a reflection of his cool-headed and rational personality.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: When he turns evil.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to Ayano's Red.
- Shoot the Dog: More so in the novels of course, but it still stands.
- Smug Super: Downplayed, surprisingly. While he takes great amusement in the irony that the once powerless boy is now possibly stronger than the entire Kannagi family combined, he still knows his limits and is more than willing to ask others for help when he needs it, as well as acknowledging that being a Contractor doesn't make him invincible.
- The Spock: The most stoic and level-headed of the main characters. Especially noticeable in the Hot Springs Episode when Kirika jokes that she and Genma are on a 'romantic getaway' and Ayano and Ren freak out. What's Kazuma's response?
- The Stoic: Humorously lampshaded by Ayano in episode 8, who refers to him as 'Mr. Stoic'.
- Not So Stoic: Whenever the Tsui-Ling issue comes out.
- Sugar and Ice Personality
- Super-Powered Evil Side
- Take a Third Option: His guiding philosophy, it would seem.
- Tall, Dark, Handsome AND Snarky
- The Tease: In a rare male example.
- Training From Hell: After Tsui Ling's death.
- Troubled but Cute
- The Unapologetic: Kirika claims he doesn't even know how to pronounce the word 'Sorry'.
- The Unfavourite: Him being this is the entire reason the events of the series exist.
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: In the novels, it's revealed that he had a chance to become immortal but turned it down, as he found immortality to be pointless and boring.
- You Taste Delicious: While Kazuma was pouring some fine wine, some of it splashed onto Ayano's face. The powerful wind mage decides not to let it go to waste and licks it off his partner's face.
The successor to the Kannagi family's head and the main female protagonist of the series. She wields Enraiha, the Kannagi's sacred sword, which she won by defeating Kazuma at the successor ceremony four years before the start of the story.
- Action Girl: She's nowhere near as Kazuma (then again, who is?) but she can still easily hold her own in a fight
- Affectionate Nickname: Depending on your point of view, Kazuma's nickname for her ('Princess') can be seen as this.
- Ancestral Weapon: Enraiha has been passed down to members of the Kannagis' for generations.
- Animal Motifs: Downplayed. In the Japanese version, Kazuma compares Ayano to a boar, since she often charges blindly into things and doesn't know how to change her direction i.e. she has a one-track mind.
- Arrogant Kung Fu Girl
- Attack! Attack! Attack!: Sums up her fighting style perfectly.
- Badass Adorable
- Battle Couple: With Kazuma. The two are often paired up for missions.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Again, with Kazuma.
- Butt Monkey
- Brutal Honesty: Nowhere near Kazuma's level, but still has her moments, such as when, after Ayumi is taken away by the Tsuwabukis and Ren's in the middle of a Heroic BSOD, she bluntly tells him that he abandoned her and that sitting around feeling sorry for himself won't solve anything.
- Cannot Spit It Out: She is a Tsundere, after all.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Ayano claims she doesn't like Kazuma, but she sure seems a bit too interested anytime he's hanging out with another woman.
- Clothing Damage: Twice: In the fight with the first Big Bad, and again in the first fight against Katherine.
- Cry Cute: Played for Laughs in episode 8 when she has a bucket dropped on her head.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Cute Little Fangs
- Dumbass Has a Point: After Catherine explains her magic, Ayano suspects that the reason the McDonalds rely on spirits is because they can't do anything by themselves. Ultimately, she turns out to be right when Catherine proves to be helpless without her spirits, allowing Ayano to defeat her easily.
- Everyone Can See It: Except herself, of course.
- Expy: Of Shana, though in a different way than most examples.
- Fiery Redhead: Literally.
- Flaming Sword: Enraiha.
- Get a Hold of Yourself, Man!: Does this to Ren in episode 11, followed by the Brutal Honesty mentioned above.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: More like Explosive Temper. Kazuma claims that she was born angry.
- Hellish Pupils
- Heroic BSOD: In the novels, after her friends shrink back from her in terror when she first demonstrates her power in front of them. She then gets enveloped by a puny slime monster that shouldn't have had a chance, and Kazuma has to bail her out and restore her confidence.
- Hime Cut: Signifying her status as the successor of the Kannagi family. It's probably why Kazuma calls her 'Princess'.
- Hold the Line: In the first arc's Big Bad boss fight, she has to keep him back while Kazuma charges up for an attack. He lets her get knocked around a little before releasing it, of course.
- Hot Chick with a Sword: With emphasis on "hot".
- Humble Pie: Gets knocked down a couple pegs in the first arc by Kazuma, who she could barely remember as "Guy I easily trounced during the successor ceremony." In fact, it works a little too well (see Inferiority Superiority Complex below).
- Hypocrite: Ayano frequently calls Kazuma an idiot, but between her frequent poor decisions and one-track mind and Kazuma's very obvious intelligence, it's pretty clear who the real idiot is.
- Idiot Hair: In at least one scene you can see Ayano putting a great deal of work into making sure she has an Idiot Hair, including combing her hair a certain way and liberal amounts of hairspray.
- Idiot Heroine: Ayano's definitely not the brightest bulb in the box, which both Kirika and Catherine call her out for in episode 22. Constantly jumping to conclusions, refusing to admit when she's wrong even when all the evidence points against her, charging blindly into fights and not even realising how jealous she acts over Kazuma does not suggest a great deal of intelligence.
- Even Yukari and Nanase note she isn't very bright, with the latter saying that being spaced out from reality is normal for her.
- "I Know You're in There Somewhere" Fight: To Kazuma in the last arc of the anime.
- Indirect Kiss: She drinks Kazuma's coffee while he's battling a Pandemonium player.
- Indy Ploy: A huge fan of these.
- Inferiority Superiority Complex: As arrogant as she may act on the surface, the great gap between her power and Kazuma's is a massive blow to her self-esteem, which is especially shown when, after Kazuma promises to protect her, she takes it completely the wrong way and asks if he sees her as a helpless little girl who can't take care of herself.
- Innocently Insensitive: Casually makes fun of how weak Kazuma was when she fought him, which makes Ren cry.
- Intimate Healing: When Kazuma gives her medicine via a kiss.
- Kissing Cousins: She and Kazuma are second cousins.
- Know-Nothing Know-It-All: Kazuma calls her a spoiled brat who can't admit when she's wrong, and it shows.
- The McCoy: The most impulsive and emotionally-driven of the main trio.
- Ms. Fanservice: Has tons of Panty Shots, two Furo Scenes and suffers constant Clothing Damage.
- Limited Wardrobe: Ayano wears her school uniform at all times. Lampshaded when she takes her time picking between three identical outfits in the amusement park episode.
- Love Triangle: Ayano, Kazuma, and Katherine.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: Deconstructed. Ayano is all too aware of this trope applying to her, as Kazuma being far more powerful than her has made her seriously insecure, causing her to doubt herself frequently and worry she'll mess things up.
- Panty Shot: And lots of them.
- Playing with Fire: Part and parcel of being a member of the Kannagi Family.
- Red Headed Heroine
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red Oni to Kazuma's Blue Oni.
- Personality Powers: Her usage of fire magic goes hand-to-hand with her short-tempered and impulsive nature.
- Second Love: For Kazuma.
- Spoiled Brat: Kazuma calls her this on more than one occasion. She really doesn't do much to prove him wrong.
- Sweet Tooth: Her answer to a bad day is to chow down on loads of cakes.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Girly Girl to Nanase's Tomboy, and Tomboy to Yukari's Girly Girl.
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: Ayano's brash, rebellious, hot-tempered and unrefined, but she has a serious Sweet Tooth and seems to really like the colour pink, with it being the colour of her pajamas and a dress she wears in one episode.
- Tsundere: A textbook Type A. She constantly calls Kazuma a jerk despite trying to hold his hand at an amusement park and blushing all the time whenever she's with him. She also flies into a towering rage if Kazuma makes a move on her and if she sees him with another woman. And whenever Yukari and Nanase point this out, she vehemently denies it.
- Tsurime Eyes
- What the Hell, Hero?: Gives several of these to Kazuma, such as when he sucker punched Genma after offering him his hand.
Ayano: I can't believe you just did that! How could you offer him your hand just so you could sucker punch him? That was really low, Kazuma, even for you.
Kazuma: Yeah, it was a nice trick, wasn't it?
Ayano: It was awful! Why do you have to act like such a jerk?
- Woman Child: Kazuma believes she has the emotional maturity of a five-year-old and, considering he said this shortly after she cried over a bucket being dropped on her head, you can hardly blame him. It's downplayed, however, as these outbursts are quite rare (and played entirely for laughs) and she's more than capable of acting her true age when she has to.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade C.
- She is briefly seen wearing a Grade A in the Hot Springs Episode.
Kazuma's younger brother. He looks up to Ayano and practically worships Kazuma, stating that one day he hopes to be as strong as him so he can protect everyone.
- A Day in the Limelight: The third arc focuses on him a lot more than Kazuma or Ayano.
- Badass Adorable
- Big Brother Worship: He adores his big brother.
- Cute Shotaro Boy
- Did Not Get the Girl: Reconstructed. He fails to save Ayumi, but, while he's certainly upset at first, this inspires him to protect those who are still there for him and find new love in the form of Kanon.
- The Dulcinea Effect: He decides to protect Ayumi just after meeting her.
- Establishing Character Moment: Expressing with delight that his brother has returned.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Subverted. Tatsuya doesn't actually have feelings for Ren; he's just worried hanging out with Kanon will make him too feminine.
- The Glomp: His greeting.
- Green Eyes
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: He has blonde hair and is one of the nicest characters in the series.
- Heroic BSOD: Falls into one in episode 11. Ayano snaps him out of it.
- Heroic Resolve: When he decides to save Ayumi from sacrifice.
- The Kirk: To Kazuma's Spock and Ayano's McCoy.
- Love At First Sight: Toward Ayumi.
- Love Triangle: Ren and his two best friends, a guy, Tatsuya Serizawa, and a girl, Kanon Suzuhara.
- Morality Pet: To Kazuma
- Nice Guy: He's a really sweet boy and one of the few who still considers Kazuma one of the family (Ayano's another, but she has a harder time admitting it).
- Only Sane Man: Often expresses exasperation at Kazuma and Ayano's bickering.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: By Kazuma, specifically, though unlike Ayano, he never seems insecure about it.
- Playing with Fire
- Take a Third Option: As opposed to just going with it, as the Tsuwabaki family does.
- Tareme Eyes
Voiced by: Rikiya Koyama (JP), Mark Stoddard (EN)
Ren and Kazuma's strict father. Though he is responsible for banishing Kazuma from the Kannagi family, he did this because wanted his son to find his own path in life, though he will probably never admit it.
- Badass: Though Kazuma defeats him in their first battle in years, Genma is the strongest En-Jutsushi user of the Kannagis, and wields the blue Divine Flame, Sōen, which only eleven others have wielded since the founding of the clan.
- Brown Eyes
- Cannot Spit It Out: Seriously, one can only imagine how much drama would be saved if Genma would just tell Kazuma the truth behind his disownment, instead of letting his pride get the better of him.
- Foil: To Juugo- while Juugo is a Humble Hero and Reasonable Authority Figure who wants what's best for his daughter, Genma is a controlling Jerkass who disowned his son after he failed him one too many times and is just as arrogant as a typical Kannagi.
- I Have Only One Son: Since he has disinherited Kazuma.
- Jerkass: Let's face it, whatever his reasons were for disowning Kazuma, he still made him believe he was abandoning him simply for being weak. Not to mention before then, he completely controlled Kazuma's entire life, to the point that he now refuses to do the Kannagi family any favours unless he gets something in return. The fact that he constantly puts family traditions over proper human decency doesn't help either. One Pet the Dog moment does not equal a Hidden Heart of Gold.
- Nerves of Steel: Even when hit at full force with Kazuma's wind, he didn't panic.
- Not So Different: As much as they refuse to admit it, he and Kazuma are undeniably father and son, as noted by Ayano.
- Only Sane Man: Surprisingly, he shares this role with Juugo in the first arc i.e. they're the only Kannagis who don't think Kazuma is the one behind the recent murders, due to evidence to the contrary. No matter what he may say about his son, Genma knows Kazuma isn't stupid enough to carelessly announce that he's a murderer, and doing things like trapping Ayano in a wind barrier and killing two people in front of her is doing exactly that.
- Playing with Fire: Just like all the Kannagis.
- The Stoic: Even more so than Kazuma.
Voiced by: Masaki Terasoma (JP), R. Bruce Elliott (EN)
Ayano's father and Genma's cousin. He is the current head of the Kannagi family.
- Cool Old Guy: He's actually very fair with Kazuma.
- Green Eyes
- Handicapped Badass: His leg was injured in a car accident, which is why he isn't as powerful as Genma despite being the head of the family.
- Humble Hero: Despite being the head of the family, he is easily one of the least arrogant Kannagis and in fact strongly disapproves of the family's tendencies to look down on non-fire magic users.
- Multicolored Hair: His front hairs are lighter.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Really, considering how arrogant the rest of the family sans Ren is, it's practically a godsend that he's the one in charge.
- Shipper on Deck: He supports Ayano/Kazuma. He even fakes a Youma sighting in an amusement park to get Kazuma and Ayano on a date.
A detective working for the Tokyo MPD's Special Investigation Unit, in charge of investigating crimes related to jutsu.
- Expy: She looks a lot like Margery Daw from Shakugan no Shana. They even share a voice actor.
- Hair of Gold
- Ms. Exposition: She reveals Kazuma's backstory to the main characters near the series finale.
- Occult Detective
- Purple Eyes: Pinkish purple.
- The Stoic
- Tall, Blonde And Bishoujo
One of Ayano's best friends and classmates. She and Yukari know about the existence of jutsushi. She is a very athletic student and is admired by many of the female students.
- Even the Girls Want Her
- Go-Go Enslavement
- Hidden Depths: She's very popular at her school and a great athlete.
- Purple Eyes
- Satellite Character: Subverted. At first, she and Yukari appear to exist only to discuss Ayano's Tsundere tendencies and growing feelings for Kazuma, but later their Hidden Depths are revealed and they grow into more of their own characters.
- Shipper on Deck: She and Yukari are huge Kazuma X Ayano fangirls.
- Those Two Girls: With Yukari
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Tomboy to Ayano and Yukari's Girly Girls.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
Voiced by: Yuka Inokuchi (JP), Kate Oxley (EN)
One of Ayano's best friends and classmates. Yukari, along with Nanase, often teases Ayano about her apparent crush on Kazuma. She is well-connected to the information network of the student body and often knows what is happening around the school.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Eyes of Gold
- Go-Go Enslavement
- Hair Decorations
- Hair of Gold
- Hidden Depths: She's an improbably good reporter, being well-connected to the underground information network of the student body and often knows what is happening around the school. She also has plenty of unknown sources.
Ayano: A report? Stun gun? Who are you?
Yukari: I'm just the same ordinary girl you've always known, really.
- Nice Girl
- Satellite Character: Subverted. At first, she and Nanase appear to exist only to discuss Ayano's Tsundere tendencies and growing feelings for Kazuma, but later their Hidden Depths are revealed and they grow into more of their own characters.
- Shipper on Deck: She and Nanase are huge Kazuma X Ayano fangirls.
- Those Two Girls: With Nanase
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Girly Girl to Ayano and Nanase's Tomboys.
The girl Kazuma could not protect. She was sacrificed by the head member of the Armagest Erwin Leszaar to summon a demon.
- Anime Hair
- Dead Little Sister: To Kazuma.
- Green Eyes
- I Let Gwen Stacy Die
- Hair Decorations: She always wore a ribbon.
- Posthumous Character: By the beginning of the series, she's been dead for years.
A member of the secondary part of the Kannagi family. Her brother was the only person kind to her, but was killed by Ryuuya when he, alongside another Kannagi relative, were on a mission for capturing Kazuma. That's the reason why she believes Kazuma was the responsible for his death. After Ryuuya's defeat, she makes killing Kazuma her goal.
- The Atoner: After Michael Harley is finally destroyed she asks Kazuma to leave her to die, but Kazuma convinces her to atone for her sins by living on. She´s currently trying to pay her sins as a nun in some abbey near by Tokyo.
- Bob Haircut
- Broken Bird
- Brown Eyes
- Dead Older Brother
- Death Equals Redemption: Defied by Kazuma, who claims that dying for her sins is just a way of avoiding facing what she's done.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette
- Hair Decorations: Sports a headband.
- My God, What Have I Done?: After attempting to kill Kazuma twice, with no success, Michael Harley takes his chance and seduces her with the false promise of granting her enough power to get her revenge. She gathers inside her body the souls of many innocent victims, and even kills her own family in order to obtain that power. Michael Harley tells that their deaths were not a sin if the goal she was seeking was honorable, but when she finally confronts Kazuma and loses her battle, she realizes that those were nothing but lies and faints in horror.
- Playing with Fire
- Revenge Before Reason
- Stepford Smiler
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Subversion. She looks and acts the part but her train of thoughts and actions are very different, specifically killing her family for power.
A member of an American family of Enjutsushi, specially skilled in creating and controlling spirit beasts to harness flames.
- Absolute Cleavage
- Boobs of Steel: Inverted. She has bigger breasts than Ayano, but she's actually much weaker.
- Can't Take Criticism: She has shades of this. When Ayano describes the McDonalds as 'some random family' and Kazuma points out that killing Yoma is more stroking her own ego than actually training, she instantly demands that they take it back, and when Kazuma points out the flaws in her strategy (namely, her over-reliance on Metatron and trying to win the battle with her first attack), she silently expresses her anger, believing he has no right to point out what she's doing wrong despite acknowledging that he's right.
- Defeat Means Friendship: With Ayano.
- Eagle Land: Both flavours. Flavour 1 wasn't present for the most part, but by episode 22, it turns up.
- Faux Action Girl: Despite her status as a powerful fire magic user, she doesn't actually do any fighting herself and lets her spirits do all the fighting for her. Ayano even criticizes her for this.
- Gainaxing: At one point in episode 22 in her fight with Kazuma.
- Hair Decorations: She wears a headband.
- Hair of Gold: ...Well, what do you expect from an American character?
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She comes off as mean and arrogant, but later shows that she isn't a bad person. Such as when she helps Ayano realize she has to become Kazuma's new happiness so she can free him from his Super-Powered Evil Side.
- Lady in Red
- Love Triangle: Katherine, Kazuma, and Ayano.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Noblewoman's Laugh
- The Ojou
- Pet the Dog: In episode 22, toward Ayano.
- Phenotype Stereotype
- Pimped-Out Dress
- Playing with Fire
- Princess Curls
- Verbal Tic: "...desu wa"
One of Ren's best friends. Always butting heads with Kanon Suzuhara, Tatsuya is always trying to keep Ren to himself in order to help him pursue more manly things in life.
- Ambiguously Gay: Though outwardly he appears to like Ren in a romantic way, he's really only concerned that Ren will be too feminine if he hangs around Kanon.
- Lightning Glare: With Kanon.
- Purple Eyes
- Those Two Guys: With Kanon.
Voiced by: Ayumi Tsuji (JP), Jad Saxton (EN)
A classmate of Ren Kannagi and Tatsuya Serizawa. She has a crush on Ren and tries her best to get his attention, though she gets into a fight with Tatsuya over Ren, since he wants to be with Ren.
- Girlish Pigtails
- Lightning Glare: With Tatsuya.
- Those Two Guys: With Tatsuya.
- Zettai Ryouiki: She only needs the Tsundere personality to be Grade S.
Voiced by: Mami Kosuge (JP), Lydia Mackay (EN)
Older daughter of the Tsuwabuki family, who are skilled "Chijutsushi", however she was born without the ability to control earth magic. During her father's absence due to "illness", she becomes the head of the Tsuwabuki family. Like Kazuma, she was ostracized for her lack of power by her family.
- Aloof Big Sister
- The Berserker: After realizing she was used as Zenon's puppet during her whole life she completely loses it which leads her to a pointless death.
- Black Sheep: Like Kazuma, she couldn't use her family's signature magic and was treated like garbage as a result.
- Dark Action Girl
- Dishing Out Dirt: Kureha turns out to be a Chijutsushi with an extremely high level of power, Zenon simply blocked her powers.
- Evil Counterpart: To Kazuma. Like Kazuma, Kureha was unable to use her family's signature magic and was treated poorly because of it, but while Kazuma was able to find power in the form of a new branch of magic, Kureha was manipulated by Zenon into wanting its power, becoming an Unwitting Pawn in the process, and it's later revealed that her powers were sealed by Zenon. Even their relationships with their siblings are opposites- Kureha is an Aloof Big Sister who cares little for Mayumi while Kazuma is very protective of Ren.
- Gravity Master
- Gray Eyes
- Lady of Black Magic
- Manipulative Bitch: Though she was being manipulated as well.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Tall, Dark and Bishoujo
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: After Zenon is finally freed from the seal, Kureha is killed by it, albeit after she attacked it.
Younger daughter of the Tsuwabuki family. She was supposed to be sacrificed in Taisai, the ritual of taming the behemoth within Mt. Fuji every 30 years preventing the volcano from erupting, but decided to make a clone in order to replace her.
- Anime Hair
- Blue Eyes: Blue-green.
- Heel Realization: After Ayumi sacrifices herself in order to defeat Zenon.
- The Ojou
- Rapunzel Hair
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid
A mysterious girl Ren meets in the park in the middle of the night and he immediately falls for her. Later she is revealed to be the clone of Mayumi Tsuwabuki created in order to replace Mayumi in the sacrifice ritual. According to Mayumi, she had been implanted with random memories from Mayumi and has a lifespan of about two months. Using the treasure of the Pixies, which is an egg that will hatch into the tribal leader of the Pixies, Ayumi's growth is accelerated, so that within one month, she grew twelve years.
- Blue Eyes: Blue-green.
- Cloning Blues: She was created to replace Mayumi as a sacrifice to Mt. Fuji. If she tried to turn against the family, she would have a very short lifespan.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: Poor Ren...
- Dying Declaration of Love: To Ren.
- Girlish Pigtails
- Go Out with a Smile
- Heroic Sacrifice: She sacrifices her life in order to weaken Zenon, so that Kazuma, Ren, and Ayano could destroy Zenon.
- Nice Girl
- Replacement Goldfish: Inverted, she was created FOR a girl who is supposed to be sacrificed to an evil spirit in order to prevent it from destroying half of Japan.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Poor girl only lasted four episodes.
- Younger Than They Look: She has the appearance of a twelve year old girl, but she is actually only a month old.
Voiced by: Dai Matsumoto (JP), Christopher Sabat (EN)
Son of Hyoue Kazamaki, leader of the Fūga Clan, which served the Kannagi family for the last 300 years.
Voiced by: Eri Kitamura (JP), Joel McDonald (EN)
A young boy from the Stars of Sagacity, an organization related to Kazuma's past and Tsui-Ling's death. He uses Misao's anger at Kazuma and promised to grant her wishes. In truth, he only uses her as a medium, in order to obtain enough yoki, or life energy, to kill Kazuma.
- Blond Guys Are Evil
- Creepy Child
- Green Eyes
- Manipulative Bastard: He tricks Misao into sacrificing hundreds of people.
- Mask Power: Averted. He's defeated quite easily by Kazuma.
The chairman of Armagest, a powerful organization of modern magic users. He holds a grudge against Kazuma for killing his master. He is also the man who sacrificed Cui-Ling.
The entity that was made in Cui-Ling's image by Wernharde.
- Action Girl
- Affably Evil
- Anime Hair
- Emotionless Girl
- Hair Decorations: Wears a ribbon just like Cui-Ling.
- Lady in Red
- Pinocchio Syndrome
- Purple Eyes
- Rei Ayanami Expy: A rare villainous example.