|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
A fashion-heavy comic. The titular protagonist first appeared in Wilbur #5 (Summer, 1945). Wilbur was one of several anthology titles in the Archie Comics line of The Forties. Katy eventually got her own comic in 1949, with some spinoff series devoted to even more costumes. These series were eventually cancelled in The Sixties, but got a revival for a few years in The Eighties, before another short revival in the mid 2000s.
The plot initially centered around Katy and her unnamed sister going to Hollywood to get into acting, and then she gets involved in the fashion industry, as well as getting involved in several boyfriends. The plot was tweaked in both revivals.
Created by Bill Woggon, this wasn't the only fashion-heavy comic, it did gain a strong fanbase, especially by having fans submit costumes, and the artist adapting them to the comics. Katy also had an officially sanctioned fanzine in The Seventies, where one of the fans was future Promoted Fanboy John S Lucas, who would eventually be brought on as one of the main artists for work relating to Katy.
Millie the Model is a similar comic, and the two characters even debuted the same year.
Provides Examples Of:
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: Gloria, Katy, and Lucki respectively. After the retool, Sis would sometimes fill the role of the redhead.
- Comically Missing the Point: Sis put one of Katy's mink stoles on a snowman to keep him warm.
- Costume Porn
- Deadpan Snarker: Gloria provides the page image, giving Katy a Stealth Insult.
- Dresses the Same
- Fairytale Wedding Dress: Although just modeling them.
- The Fashionista: Katy, Gloria, and Lucki.
- Flag Bikini: One where she, Gloria, and Lucki each wore a one-piece suit that was a third of the US flag, so standing together, it made a whole flag. See here.
- "Happy Holidays" Dress: Christmas issues would give her quite a few.
- Medium Awareness: At least on the covers.
- No Name Given: Sis, although both revivals gave her different, yet still rarely spoken, names.
- Passive-Aggressive Kombat: Particularly between Katy and Gloria.
- Pimped-Out Dress: Loads of them.
- Pretty in Mink: Several furs, either modeled or owned.
- Really Gets Around: Although nothing sexual is stated, there are jokes about Katy having several boyfriends.
- Retool: Twice. A Major change in the first revival was aging Sis from about seven to fifteen (although Katy would stay the same age).
- The Rival: Gloria and Lucki
- Sexy Santa Dress
- Shiny Midnight Black: Emphasized in the revival.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Sis being the Tomboy (although not against wearing pretty clothes), and Katy being the girly girl.
- Unlimited Wardrobe: To the point Veronica actually celebrated when she realized she finally owned more outfits.