|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Although Kathy Griffin had been in movies and on the comedy circuit since the early 1990s, her big break was her 2005 comedy special "The D List," so named because she felt she was just barely a celebrity. The special was a hit, inspiring the Emmy award-winning reality show "My Life on the D-List" which followed her attempts to gain stardom in Hollywood. She's also directly appealed to get a Grammy with her comedy album "For Your Consideration" and the Tonies with with her "Kathy Griffin Wants a Tony" stage show.
Griffin's comedy is mainly based on celebrities, whether it's the ones she come in contact with in real life or the ones she sees on TV. While this has gained her some admirers, many celebrities actively avoid her. She's also an outspoken LGBT activist, and in recent stand-ups has read hate mail she receives from people opposed to gay rights.
You might know her from a few shows and movies. Including Suddenly Susan where she plays... pretty much herself. She hosted The Roast of Joan Rivers on Comedy Central. Oh... and she has a blink and you'll miss it moment in Pulp Fiction; the scene where Bruce Willis tries to run down Ving Rhames (in the credits she's listed As Herself). Cathy also has a more substantial role as hotel night manager Betty in the lead in to Quentin Tarantino's seqment of Four Rooms.
- Fag Hag: Self described.
- Grandma, What Massive Hotness You Have!
- Hatedom: Kathy revels in this, reading hate mail in her standup act.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: Her mother's reaction to hearing that Kathy would be going on a cruise with lesbians and their children.
- Refuge in Audacity: "Suck it, Jesus!"
- What Would X Do?: When having to sing after Kristin Chenoweth on her reality show: "WWASD: What would Ashlee Simpson Do?"