Karl-Heinz Urban (b. 1972) is an actor from New Zealand. He started off in soaps and small-time TV dramas, worked his way up to Xena: Warrior Princess and local film productions, and now co-stars in Hollywood blockbusters with macho men like Bruce Willis. Probably best known for playing Leonard 'Bones' McCoy in the 2009 Star Trek film, Eomer in The Lord of the Rings, and being 'hey, that guy, what's his name again?' in over nine thousand of the genre movies you've seen.
This actor and his roles provide examples of:
Chris Pine: Yeah, I have a man-crush on Karl, what can I tell you.
- Fan Service: He once stuck a microphone in his mouth at a Q&A.
- Fascinating Eyebrow: A notable quirk of McCoy which Urban actually possessed in real life before taking on the role.
- Hazel Eyes
- He Really Can Act: When you tear him away from projects full of monsters and bad special effects.
- Ho Yay
- One of Us: Urban is a longtime fan of Star Wars, Star Trek, Doctor Who, Judge Dredd, video games and Dungeons and Dragons.
He named his child after Indiana Jones. Dedication.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping
- Playing Against Type: Known mostly for action roles, his casting as the comedic and non-combative Bones in Star Trek was met with a resounding 'wtf?'
- Promoted Fanboy
- Sarcastic Devotee: McCoy is devoted to Kirk, yet never stops complaining about everything he does.
- Shirtless Scene: Pathfinder
And in real life, he always seems to have a few extra buttons undone on his shirt.