|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
"Here with a "zubat"! Solving problems with a "zubat"! I am the wandering hero! Kaiketsu(Extraordinary/Swift Hero) Zubat!"
Kaiketsu Zubat is a 1977 Toku series created by Shotaro Ishinomori. It follows the tale of detective Ken Hayakawa, whose friend Gorou Asuka was murdered by the evil organization Dakker. To avenge him, Ken dons the mighty Zubasuit to become Zubat.  Our hero roams the countryside, like a good ol' western gunslinger, to find Dakker criminals wherever they're terrorizing the innocent.
This work features examples of:
- The Ace: Ken codifies the hell out of this trope. He is #1 in Japan, after all.
- Always Someone Better: Inverted in every episode. The various hired guns will think they're the best at their specialty. Unfortunately, Ken's still better than them. Every damn time, at any damn skill. You aren't the best lethal thrower of plates in Japan - he is.
- Badass: Ken/Zubat is probably one of the most awesome character Shotaro Ishinomori has ever created.
- Brought to You by The Letter "S": The Zubasuit has big Z's on the helmet, the chest, and the belt.
- Calling Card: Zubat always leaves a distinctive card on his defeated foe for the police to find, explaining the particular crime they've committed (ie: "This man is an arsonist", or "This man is a murderer").
- Cool Car: Ken's Zubacar.
- Death By Origin Story: Asuka Gorou.
- Hour of Power: The Zubat suit can only work for five minutes, after which it goes BOOM.
- In the Name of the Moon: Ken would call out the villain, saying their skill was "no. 2 in Japan" (next to himself, of course).
- New Old West: Despite taking place in 1970s Japan, with then-modern technology clearly present, the characters all dress and talk as if they were in The Wild West.
- Say My Name/Big Word Shout: "ASUKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"
- Showy Invincible Hero: Ken Hayakawa is this trope like no one else. In order to get anything even close to the drop on him, the Dakka goons have to severely outnumber him, carry guns, and take hostages - and even then, the fight's even only until he puts on the Zubasuit.
- Super Prototype: The space suit boosts up Ken's already impressive physical abilities, but it's incomplete and defective, hence the five-minute limit.
- The Syndicate: Dakker.
- This Is Unforgivable!: When Ken confronts the villain of the week, he outlines their (usually monstrous) crimes before declaring this.
- Your Princess Is in Another Castle: While beating each latest villain, Ken would ask if they are Asuka Gorou's killer, only for them to confess that they didn't do it.
- ↑ Alternatively romanized as "Zvatt".