|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
Okay, I was ignorant. I did something stupid. I got overeager or ahead of myself. I didn't realize the implications of my action, or I seriously thought I wouldn't screw this one up. I'm sorry. But please, don't hold it against me... I was Just Trying To Help.
Not only is this a handy pre-defined message, it's also a stock phrase commonly used by characters, e.g. young kids in cartoons after their innocent attempt to help out causes a series of Disaster Dominoes. Another common use of this is when someone is on the wrong end of a Rant-Inducing Slight or Minor Insult Meltdown as after trying a little too hard to help.
- Garfield responds with this phrase when Jon reminds him how last time they went to the farm, Garfield tried to grow chickens by planting them in the ground.
- In Batman, Spoiler utters this line while collapsing into Batman's arms. It is quite a Tear Jerker, seeing as she is limping half dead after being shot and tortured for many hours, trying to make a contingency plan of Batman's work, which had accidentally caused a gang war.
Lando, while being strangled by Chewbacca: Just trying to help...
Juvenile vigilantes, after being tied up by Batman: We were just trying to help!
- 90210: "Lucky Strike"
Dixon Wilson: She can stay in my room. [everyone smiles] Just trying to help.
- All in the Family
Edith Bunker: Archie was just trying to help.
- All My Children
Ryan Lavery: Babe was just trying to help.
- Angel: "Judgment"
Cordelia Chase: Dennis is very sensitive, he's just trying to help. He's more a person than a G-H-O-S-T.
- Battlestar Galactica: "Collaborators"
Jammer: [pleading with the Circle] I was just trying to help people!
- Charmed: "Pardon My Past"
Prue Halliwell: Just trying to help.
- Rent: Presumably, this was the grounds upon which Angel was trying to defend Mark after the latter was caught filming a homeless woman who didn't appreciate the exploitation.
Woman: Who the fuck do you think you are? I don't need no goddamned help from some bleeding heart cameraman, my life's not for you to make a name for yourself on.
Angel: Easy, sugar, easy. He was just trying to--
Woman: Just trying to use me to kill his guilt?
Spot: Hey, you were just trying to help a fellow creature. We know your heart was in the right place.
Twilight: *tearing up after a series of fails* I just wanted to... oh...! *runs off crying*
- Also used at the beginning of "Sisterhooves Social" when Sweetie Belle is trying to do something nice for Rarity.
- Bat-Mite says this all the time in The New Adventures of Batman after causing Batman, Robin, and/or Batgirl a major problem that sets them back.
Doc:I'm really sorry guys. I was only trying to help.
Grif:Oh is that all? I for one was totally confused. I thought you were savagely trying to kill our sergeant by ramming him over and over with a six thousand pound steel death machine. Now that we know that you're just trying to help, by all means, please continue.