|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
After her divorce, attorney Amy Gray and her young daughter move back into her mother's house in Hartford, Connecticut, and Amy becomes a family court judge. Amy's mother Maxine is a social worker who holds herself, as well as everyone else -- especially Amy -- to her perfectionist standards. Since Amy is a family court judge and Maxine is a social worker, they occasionally cross paths professionally, sometimes creating discord that spills over into their personal relationship. Amy and Maxine are both single and interested in romance. Amy's introspective, younger brother is a writer, while her older brother, an insurance salesman, and his neurotic wife frequently drop by. This show is about as complex as it gets without being a Mind Screw...
This page is in serious need of Wiki Magic.
This show has examples of:
- Abusive Parents: A huge part of Maxine's job, and these pop up in Amy's courtroom.
- Courtroom Drama
- Epunymous Title
- Genius Ditz: Donna
- Hypercompetent Sidekick (Donna, then Holbrook in season 6)
- Important Haircut: Maxine has one of these.
- It Runs in The Family: That perfectionist streak.
- Long Runner
- Real Life Writes the Plot: When Richard Crenna, who played Maxine's on-again, off-again boyfriend Jared, died of cancer, his character was written off by having him die of a heart attack in the episode "Requiem".
- Screaming Birth: Donna
- Shout-Out: When Vincent is at home sick one day, he watches Soylent Green.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute (Vincent, then Kyle, then Vincent again)
- Traumatic C-Section: Gillian went through one of these.
- The Unfavorite: Several cases of Amy's dealt with this. In the Gray family, however, Peter seems to fill the role.