Joe Rogan is a stand-up comedian, actor, sports commentator and game show host. Getting his start in the stand up circuit in the Boston area in the late 80s, Joe eventually found his way to Hollywood. After a starring in a few failed pilots (that Joe himself describes as awful), he found his first big success in the cult show News Radio on NBC, playing Joe Garelli.
Soon, Joe would find other projects while his stand-up career also blossomed. A lifelong martial artist and aficionado, he was a huge fan of the emerging sport of Mixed Martial Arts and got a job as a backstage interviewer for the UFC, eventually moving to the color commentator position alongside Mike Goldberg, a job he still does almost every other week. But he's probably most famous for being the host of the Fear Factor game show on NBC, which he has partial ownership of (and is hosting the revival due to air in 2012). He also hosted the much derided last season of The Man Show with Doug Stanhope.
Joe also does a weekly podcast on his website and several of his stand-up specials have aired on Comedy Central.
Joe Rogan provides examples of:
- Badass Normal: Joe is a black belt in Tae Kwan Do and participated in several tournaments as a teen. He once even gave pointers to welterweight champion GSP on how to perform a spinning back kick. He's also a high-level jiu jitsu practitioner under Eddie Bravo.
- Berserk Button:
- Comics who steal material from others. His verbal beatdown of Carlos Mencia at the Comedy Store for this practice was a viral sensation on the net.
- Questionable judging in the UFC.
- Questionable (or any) stand-ups from the ground position (once, epically, during the Randy Couture/Tim Sylvia fight)
- Also, people spilling ice in the cage.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Very interested in the supernatural, advanced science and conspiracy theories (most famously being a moon landing skeptic).
- Conspiracy Theorist: He's a skeptic of the moon landings. As a rule, doesn't trust anything the government tells him.
- Deadpan Snarker: Not so much in his stand-up act, but often on his podcast and occasionally during UFC broadcasts.
Joe: (describing the technical aspects of a fight in which the two fighters end up on the ground in the "north south" position, which resembles, well, a 69)... and the people are laughing now because they are children.
- Discontinuity: The last season of The Man Show. Even he hates it.
- Heterosexual Life Partner: Doug Stanhope. Also his regular opening act Joey Diaz.
- Money, Dear Boy:
- His reason for doing Fear Factor. Due to being shrewd in his contract negotiation with NBC to host, he ended up with a partial ownership of the show (neither himself or NBC apparently thought the show would be the hit it turned out to be). $20 million later and a revival on the way...
- While Doug Stanhope is the one who said this was true of The Man Show, it's not beyond reason to assume that Rogan felt the same way.
- The Stoner: A very vocal proponent of marijuana. Is also a fan of psychedelics and sensory deprivation.