|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Jessica Ellen Cornish (b. March 1988) a.k.a. Jessie J , is a British singer and song-writer who burst onto the UK pop scene in mid 2011 with her hit single Do It Like A Dude. Since then she has been on the face of several magazines, garnering attention for her weird dress style, ever changing hair colour and distinct sound. Her second single "Price Tag", featuring B.O.B., gave her world wide success. She has written for artists such as Justin Timberlake and Rihanna. Won the Critics Choice Brit Award in 2010 and since then has gone on to win in several others during the year 2011; such as the MOBO awards, the Capital FM awards, the Urban Music awards, the Radio 1 Teen awards and the BT Digital Music awards. Jessie J was also nominated for Best UK and Ireland Music Act in the 2011 MTV Europe Awards.
In addition to her own catalog, she also wrote the Miley Cyrus "Party in The USA"
- Who You Are (2011)
Provides examples of:
- Acting for Two: All three adults in the "Who's Laughing Now" video are played by Jessie J, along with herself.
- Adults Are Useless: All three adults in the "Who's Laughing Now" video are aloof to Young Jessie J's actions.
- Alice Allusion: The tea party table in "Nobody's Perfect".
- Apathetic Teacher: The teacher in "Who's Laughing Now" is shown at her desk rolling her eyes and showing disinterest at the chaos in her room.
- Bi the Way: She is openly bisexual. But some sources (mainly primary, fewer secondary sources) state that this is Played for Laughs.
- Blue Eyes
- Black Sheep Hit: "Do It Like A Dude" is not like anything on her debut album... for better or worse.
- Bob Haircut: Jessie J's signature hairstyle.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Plays this aspect of her personality up in interviews.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette
- Flipping the Bird: Jessie J flashes both the middle finger and the inverted-V in "Who's Laughing Now".
- Girl Posse: A younger version is shown tormenting Young Jessie J in "Who's Laughing Now".
- The Glorious War of Sisterly Rivalry: The youngest of three sisters, she describes herself as the odd one out growing up with two academically minded siblings whilst being more inclined towards singing and arts.
- Hidden Depths: She is a mezzo-soprano with a vocal range of over two octaves. Before her debut single was released, she was getting praise from various other artists who described her as the "best singer in the world", " a musical genius" etc. Before becoming a solo artist she used to write songs for Miley Cyrus, Chris Brown and Justin Timberlake.
- Intercourse with You: Under her real name of Jessica Cornish she released a song called "Sexy Silk", which is part of the Easy A soundtrack. It definitely fits the trope.
- Keep Circulating the Tapes: Her single "Nobody's Perfect" is, for some bizarre reason, widely torrented since its release, especially on Demonoid.
- The Ladette: "Do It Like a Dude" is centered around the "man-dem".
- Melismatic Vocals
- Precision F-Strike: Although "Jessie J" already curses in both "Do It Like a Dude" and "L.O.V.E.", she drops a f-bomb in the otherwise clean "Nobody's Perfect" for good effect.
- Singer Namedrop: In "Do It Like a Dude", "Nobody's Perfect" and the music video of "Nobody's Perfect".
- She Cleans Up Nicely: When going to award shows she has shown that she can clean up well as opposed to her usual unkempt look.
- Shiny Midnight Black
- Surreal Music Video: Particularly Price Tag and Nobody's Perfect.
- Take That: The whole point of "Who's Laughing Now?" at former classmates.
- Tall, Dark and Bishoujo: Nearly six feet tall.
- True Companions: She is best friends with fellow British singer Adele, with whom she went to school.