|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
"The character of Jenny Everywhere is available for use by anyone, with only one condition. This paragraph must be included in any publication involving Jenny Everywhere, in order that others may use this property as they wish. All rights reversed."—The license for Jenny Everywhere
Because of her open-source status, Jenny has no official Web site (the closest thing would be The Shifter Archive), publication or Backstory. Jenny has the power to shift between parallel universes, or she exists in every universe, or both. Her appearance varies, but the creator has this as a general description which writers honor to varying degrees:
She has short, dark hair. She usually wears aviation goggles on top of her head and a scarf around her neck. Otherwise, she dresses in comfortable clothes. She is average size and has a good body image. She has loads of confidence and charisma. She appears to be Asian or Native American. She has a ready smile.
Additionally, her common depiction by writers has her as enthusiastic, kind, generally angst-free, and eager for adventure and toast.
Jenny was created by Canadian cartoonist Steven Wintle on the loosely Grant Morrison-centric counterculture forum Barbelith, where she appeared in a bunch of comics. Eventually interest in her died out there, but she's gone on to appear in many, many other webcomics and stories.
- Author Appeal: Naturally, different versions of Jenny tend to reflect their interests. In some of the Barbelith stories, she spent a lot of time clubbing and obsessing over music. In the nudist webcomic Loxie and Zoot/The Bare Pit, she got naked (thankfully that was done by someone who can actually draw). In 'The Easy Breather, she inspires Samantha by showing her a DVD.
- Depending on the Writer: Actively encouraged, the nature of Jenny's character means that her various incarnations often vary wildly between stories, though her base personality stays generally true to the brief, by and large. This even goes for the nature of her powers.
- Her Evil Counterpart, Jenny Nowhere, also an open source character, is even more so. The Shifter Archive FAQ suggests that "in each universe there's a Jenny Everywhere who's recognizably Jenny Everywhere in name, character and appearance... and somewhere in each universe there's a Jenny Nowhere who's recognizably Jenny Nowhere In Name Only."
- Depending on the Artist: As above, Jenny's specific appearance is deliberately vague so as to give freedom to the creators.
- Evil Counterpart: Jenny Nowhere (see above).
- Genki Girl
- Goggles Do Nothing: One story hints that Jenny inherited them from her mother, who was an aviator.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Jenny verges on this sometimes.
- Plucky Girl
- Scarf of Asskicking
- Trademark Favorite Food: Toast
- Weirdness Magnet
- Walking The Multiverse
This character has appeared in the following works:
- The Bare Pit
- The Crossoverlord
- The Easy Breather
- A number of stories on Ficly
- Life and Death
- Lightning Made of Owls here.
- Scandal Sheet
- Times Like This: Jenny becomes The Gump, where an 80's rock song involving a certain phone number is concerned. Oh, and she's also a partner in a certain appliance company.
- Touhou Nekokayou: Scarlet Weather Archive in Japanese Red
- Union of Heroes