|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Jane of Lantern Hill is L. M. Montgomery's last novel. Jane lives with her mother and grandmother in the city, learning only after many years that her mother is not widowed. When her father insists on having Jane visit him during the summer, Jane flourishes in the countryside.
Tropes found in this work
- Alice Allusion: She once dreamed of going into a mirror until she was ridiculed for vanity for sititng in front of them.
- Arcadia: Prince Edward Island
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: The grandmother
- Blue Eyes, including both Icy Blue Eyes and Innocent Blue Eyes, explicitly contrasted.
- Cinderella Circumstances: Her friend Jody
- City Mouse: Jane
- Close Knit Community: PEI
- Evil Matriarch: The grandmother
- Face Your Fears: Cows, in Jane's case.
- Feminine Women Can Cook: Jane picks up cooking easily.
- Green-Eyed Monster: The grandmother
- In Harmony with Nature: Jane is a great gardener, and has a particular affinity for the moon.
- I Never Got Any Letters: The grandmother saw to that.
- My Beloved Smother: The grandmother, again.
- Orphan's Ordeal: Her friend Jody -- not, unusually a central place in the plto
- Parental Favoritism: Jane's grandmother, toward her mother.
- Turn Out Like Her Father: Her grandmother objects to this in Jane. Jane even doesn't like the notion she gets her chin from her father.