Jackie Earle Haley (b. July 14, 1961) is an American actor best known for playing Rorschach in Watchmen. Previously a child actor, most notably as Kelly Leak in The Bad News Bears. He's currently co-starring with Johnny Depp in the Dark Shadows movie and will be appearing in Steven Spielberg's Abraham Lincoln movie.
- Kelly Leak, The Bad News Bears, (1976)
- Frank Jessup, Maniac Cop 3 Badge of Silence, (1992)
- Ronnie McGorvey, Little Children (2006)
- Rorschach/Walter Kovacs, Watchmen (2009)
- Freddy Krueger, A Nightmare On Elm Street 2010
- George Noyce, Shutter Island, (2010)
- Guerrerro, Human Target (2010-11)
- Willie Loomis, Dark Shadows (2012)
- Alexander Stephens, Lincoln (2012)
Tropes invoked by this actor:
- Ascended Fanboy
- Bald of Awesome: Haley shaves his head when not in a role.
- Blue Eyes: Of the bright, piercing variety. They all but glow in the dark.
- Career Resurrection: Poster boy for this trope - left acting for over a decade before making a sudden comeback in Little Children, and is now enjoying a healthy career.
- Dyeing for Your Art: Rorschach is a redhead; Haley has naturally dark hair. Not only did he have to have his hair dyed, but also his eyebrows and stubble.
- Former Child Star: He was Kelly Leak, and is now making a successful adult career.
- He Really Can Act: People were likely skeptical about a little known former child actor playing Rorschach. Then he completely knocked it out of the park.
- At the same time, his comeback turn in Little Children was universally praised and earned him an Oscar nomination for playing a very complex, creepy role, so people familiar with that film were not surprised.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: Haley is currently making a career out of playing very scary people (Rorschach, Freddy Krueger). He is in fact a sweet, gentle family man with two kids.
- Nerd Glasses
- One of Us: He was a big fan of Watchmen long before being cast in the role. He made an audition tape with friends where he acted out scenes as Rorschach.
- One-Scene Wonder: In Shutter Island.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: He's 5 feet 5 inches and has a blackbelts in taekwondo and kenpo.
- The Short Guy with Glasses: As mentioned, 5′5″.
- You Might Remember Me From: For a while best known as Kelly Leak; he's now best known as Rorschach.