|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
Iyashikei (癒し系) is Japanese for "healing", a term used for Anime and Manga created with the specific purpose of having a healing or soothing effect on the audience. Works of this kind often involve alternative realities with little to no conflict, emphasizing nature and the little delights in life.
Even though many Iyashikei creations seem to have a strong escapist basis, the goal is not only to offer a means of getting away from daily worries, but to let the audience embrace a calming state of mind. As these works tend to involve normal people in normal situations, this trope often overlaps with Slice of Life. Other tropes often associated with Iyashikei are Arcadia, Ghibli Hills and Scenery Porn.
Iyashikei often involves the subtler kind of Crowning Moment of Heartwarming. Compare (or contrast) Warm and Fuzzy Feeling, Tastes Like Diabetes, Sweet Dreams Fuel, and Happiness Tropes. Contrast Glurge, Nightmare Fuel and Paranoia Fuel. Works adhering to this trope might functions as Real Life Brain Bleach.
- Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou is generally regarded as the ultimate example, along with ...
- Aria. Mars never looked so appealing.
- Only Yesterday
- Sora no Woto. In its most Slice of Life, K-On! meets All Quiet on the Western Front moments, it manages to be both healing and quietly thought-provoking.
- Certain Touhou doujinshi might fall under this trope. Certain others might be the total opposite of this trope.
- Many songs by Haruka Shimotsuki.
- Binbou Shimai Monogatari
- Windy Tales
- Hidamari Sketch
- A Channel
- Wife and Wife
- Azumanga Daioh, by the same author.
- Haibane Renmei
- Bunny Drop
- Ikoku Meiro no Croisee
- Nichijou is this when it isn't absurd comedy.