|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
The "It Gets Better" Project was created by openly-gay relationship advice columnist Dan Savage in response to a string of tragic suicides by bullied LGBT teenagers, to reassure them that in fact, It Gets Better. Anyone can add a video, and hundreds of average users, celebrities, politicians, web personalities, and organizations (including some offbeat videos from Facebook, Google, and Pixar) have jumped on the bandwagon.
The official website can be found here. Bring a hankie!
- Affectionate Parody: Entitled "It Gets Worse." Before you panic, it's actually telling homophobes it gets worse.
But it gets worse. Sooner or later, gays will end up serving. And then twenty years laters they'll make a documentary about it. You know how every documentary about a big social change has a bad guy? The guy who fought it tooth and nail until it was obvious to everyone else what needed to be done . . . It gets worse . . . It gets worser. You have no idea how much worse it gets.
- Catch Phrase: It Gets Better!
- Driven to Suicide: The project was created in response to this.
- Knight in Sour Armor: In a nutshell: "It doesn't get better. You get stronger. If you kill yourselves, they win. Don't let them win.".
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: Max Adler, who plays homophobic but closeted Jerk Jock Dave Karofsky on Glee, supports gay rights in real life and made his own video for the project.