|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
"Mr. Sun came up and he smiled at me
The characters will be discussing whatever the subject of the episode is and someone will say, "This is gonna be the best (whatever) EVER!" Then, everything goes horribly wrong, but of course later they realize that it didn't go SO badly after all. "It really was the best (something) ever!"
- Subverted in I'm a Marvel And I'm a DC. On the prospect of Marvel losing the Transformers right, Spider-Man was about to say "This is the worst decision that Marvel has ever made!" Until Deadpool showed him the severed head of Dudepeel (his version from X-Men Origins: Wolverine), in which Spidey retracted his Transformers comment into "This is the second worst decision that Marvel has ever made!"
- In Avatar: The Abridged Series, Aang describes his own move of freezing himself and Appa in a ball of ice as the "Best. Plan. Ever."
- In Yu-Gi-Oh The Abridged Series, Seto is shown a giant rock and is told that his destiny is to play a "Children's Card Game" for the rest of time.
Kaiba: Best. Destiny. Ever!
Films -- Animation
- The Incredibles: After a day that involved fighting an army of Mooks, escaping an Island Base on a rocket and taking down a giant robot, Dash shouts, "That was the best vacation ever!"
- Tangled: After she leaves her tower for the first time in her life, Rapunzel finds herself conflicted between guilt over disobeying her "mother" Gothel, and the the sense of liberation over being outside for the first time, resulting in a string of rapid-fire Gilligan Cuts;
Rapunzel: (joyous) I can't believe I did this.
Films -- Live-Action
- The lines "it was the best day ever" and "it was the worst day ever" are used during nearly every day in the movie Thunderpants.
- Barbara Robinson wrote a whole little series of books whose plots depended on this trope: The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, The Best Hallowe'en Ever, and The Best School Year Ever.
- Richard Scarry wrote a popular children's book called Best Word Book Ever.
- The Doctor points out this trope in the Doctor Who episode "The Impossible Planet":
- Hiro and the Comic Book Shop Guy both say "Best. Day. Ever." in a Season 3 episode of Heroes. In their defense, it really was a pretty awesome day for both characters. Hiro teleported himself into a comic book store, and the shop guy realized that Hiro was the guy from their comic books.
- On Firefly, after Simon and River are kidnapped, Jayne goes through their stuff for valuables and stops a moment to pretend he's reading aloud from Simon's diary:
"Dear diary, today I was pompous and my sister was crazy. (turns page) Today we were kidnapped by hill folk, never to be seen again. It was the best day ever."
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Xander has to attend a Saturday computer class and hears Cordelia does too: "Ooo, did you hear that? An extra day of class AND Cordelia! Throw in a little rectal surgery and it's my best day ever!" (Clearly not his best day ever.)
- Buffy thinks a present Xander got her is the best present ever. The present? A rocket launcher he stole from the local army base to kill a demon.
Manga and Anime
- In the H-manga Sei So Tsui Dan Sha, when the sluttiest of the sisters uses the cute young protagonist's detachable penis for the first time, she says "Kono chinpo saikou da yo!", which has undergone Memetic Mutation in its translation as "It's the best freaking cock ever!"
- WCW commentator Tony Schiavone was the master of hyperbole, dubbing a whole bunch of storylines (especially during the later "downer" years) as "the greatest (something) in the history of our sport", no matter how shocking the swerve. He would also do the same with every upcoming episode of Nitro, for years until it shut down in 2001.
- Every year Wrestlemania is typically billed as the greatest or most historic Wrestlemania ever, particularly on DVD's released after the fact. After 27 installments and counting this gets harder to believe as time goes on.
- Used at the ending of Hotel Mario, where Mario, Luigi and Peach address the fourth wall and say "You're the best player ever!" Well, you deserve some kind of recognition for actually playing through the game.
- "THE GREATEST ATTACK EVER!"
- Zoey Payne of SSX becomes the creator and manager of the event. To her it's the best job ever.
- This has been done a number of times in the Homestar Runner cartoons.
- "This is the best Decemberween ever!"
- "Aww, man. This is the worst Decemberween ever."
- Awesome Series: "This gun is the best gun ever."
- In Order of the Stick, Elan says this several times.
Elan: Woooooo! Wind Walk is the best cleric spell ever!!!
Tarquin: Here's to us, Elan. We're going to tell the best story EVER.
- Super Stupor: The Best Divorce Story Ever
- This is the one of the Catch Phrases of Chester A. Bum. "OH MY GOD! THIS IS THE GREATEST MOVIE THAT I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE!!"
- From The Onion: "Amazing New Hyperbolic Chamber Greatest Invention In The History Of Mankind Ever".
- One Kids React segment featuring the Gregory Brothers gets a "best idea EVER!" from one of the kids.
- Seems to be a Stock Phrase in Nickelodeon shows. Case in point, about every second episode of The Fairly Odd Parents.
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- The episode "Best Day Ever" (from which the opening quote comes from). SpongeBob's plans for the best day ever get sidetracked when he helps his friends with various crises.
- SpongeBob once described being on television as "The greatest thing to happen in the history of history!"
- One episode of Hey Arnold had the title character going through a list of things that would make the best Saturday ever, but no kid had ever successfully completed. Two of the first items are eat a bowl of cereal while watching cartoons all morning. He oversleeps, the milk is spoiled, and the TV goes out. It Gets Worse from there.
- The Powerpuff Girls; the episode "Best Rainy Day Adventure Ever" is actually considered by fans one of the best PPG episodes ever.
- The Simpsons: Bart and Lisa are certain the trip to Itchy 'n' Scratchy Land will be the best vacation ever! Subverted in that it really was the best vacation ever. Double Subverted in that they promised to never speak of it again.
- The Comic Book Guy uses this line almost every time to the point that it has become his catchphrase.
- Phineas and Ferb
- The chorus of the extended version of the Theme Tune starts off "This could possibly be the best day ever...."
- One episode is called "The Best Lazy Day Ever". And it was.
- "And the forecast says that tomorrow will likely be a million and six time better!"
- A Christmas Episode of American Dad is titled "The Best Christmas Story Never"; another is called "The Most Adequate Christmas Ever".
- Also Steve's reaction to Mex's catchphrase on Tex and Mex. "Best. Catchphrase. Ever."
- In Family Guy, an ad is shown for "Hasbro's Best Thing Ever" (a short of Silly Putty actually). Stewie, watching the commercial, enthusiastically shouts: "I want it!"
- In the Veggie Tales Christmas Special, they successfully have the Best Christmas Ever.
- The first season of Moral Orel ended with (or began with, depending on your point of view) an episode titled "The Best Christmas Ever", in which Orel is determined to make this Christmas just that. The subversion? The episode has such a Downer Ending that the commentary for the episode mentioned that Adult Swim got several letters from people saying the episode ruined their Christmas.
- In Teen Titans episode "Betrayal", Beast Boy ate a pie offered by Terra and compliments with, "This is the best pie... in the history of pies."
- In the Kick Buttowski episode where the kids get trapped on a school bus on a snow day because Kendall Perkins had her dad call the school to make it a school day, they take so long getting to school that school hours are over, much to the disappointment of Kendall. The episode ends with Kick and Gunther declaring "Best. Snow day. Ever."
- The season one finale of My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic was entitled "The Best Night Ever". The mane cast had spent the entire season dreaming about the upcoming Grand Galloping Gala, and are determined to make sure it is the Best Night Ever at any cost. Unfortunately their efforts end up making the party an unqualified disaster (like, they actually cause significant damage to the venue), except that later Princess Celestia comes and tells them that it was, in fact, the Best Night Ever, at least compared to the stuffy Galas of previous years; the reason she had invited Twilight and her friends to the Gala was in the hopes they would liven things up.
- Not to mention that Rainbow Dash quotes the trope twice in 'Sonic Rainboom' when she A: does the Sonic Rainboom, and B: gets to meet the Wonderbolts and wins the Best Young Flyer award.
- Again in the second season finale.
- The recent Polly Pocket animation is based on the trope. The theme song mentions "best time ever". One episode was about Polly and her friends going to watch a movie adaptation of what they consider "the best book ever", hoping it'd be the best movie ever, only to later decide it was the worse movie ever.
- for the pony-illiterate: an annual society party thrown by the ponies' universally-beloved God-Empress
- aforementioned God-Empress