|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
The webcomic Irritability combines the fantastic with the realistic. Commonplace are things such as people taking "adventurer" as an actual career, HMOs requiring their clients to wear elemental damage rings to prevent damage from rockslides, giant octopi rampaging around college campasses yelling "ERROO!", and a boat made out of a giant hollowed out Cheeto.
Started as a story that the author thinks is bad, and later made into a newsprint comic in The Daily Texan in 1998, it then was moved to the author's website.
Can be read here.
There, now read the trope examples:
- All There in the Manual: The writer has come up with the fairly fleshed-out country of Vedica and it's history that explains Chappy's and Exoth's origins. This barely gets referenced in the comic itself.
- Courtroom Antic
- Dada Comics
- Evil Genius (Exoth)
- Expy: Miss Abinger is an expy of none other than Emeraldas, the Lovely Justice Warriors are Sailor Moon expies, and Tatanya's gym teacher ("Original character design! Honest!") bears a striking resemblance to Ashley Riot.
- Genius Ditz (Chappy can fight and find treasure and pretty much nothing else. Justified, he's so powerful that he can brute force most of his problems and turn to Exoth for the rest)
- Heroic Sociopath (Chappy Chappy)
- Hyperspace Arsenal (Beireia, Chappy, and even Robot have weapons they can summon or that shrink to small enough they might as well be summoned)
- Idiot Hero (Chappy Chappy)
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Exoth is especially fond of these.
- Mad Scientist (Exoth, in spades)
- Magical Girl (Parodied with the lovely justice warriors)
- Mix-and-Match Critters (parodied)
- Mook Chivalry (It is culturally insensitive to ask monsters to retreat, no matter how outmatched they are)
- Our Vampires Are Different: Averted by Scary Larry, who hits every vampire trope in the book.
- Schedule Slip: The comic has managed to make a whopping eleven updates this year.
- Shout-Out: Chappy is occasionally seen in T-shirts with designs from Mario, Final Fantasy, and Berserk, among others.
- Social Darwinist (The Ninja Professor, who teaches a 'survival of the fittest' college course by assigning dangerous and competitive assignments to weed out the weak)
- Take That: An entire arc is dedicated to mocking the long-running Shoujo series Fushigi Yuugi. In great detail. (Just how many hours of Fushigi Yuugi did the author watch, anyway?)
- Took a Level In Badass (Tatanya Banana, going from a cute kid to a badass fighter over the course of the strip)
- Unsound Effect: All over the place.
"LEAVE LEAVE <—sound effect"
- Villain Protagonist: Pretty much all of them, though Beireia and Victor Banana a lot less than the rest.