|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Marvel Anime: Iron Man is a 2010 anime based on the Iron Man comics, though it is perhaps more directly inspired by the recent live-action movies. Produced by Madhouse, it is the first of four series co-produced with Marvel Comics, each focusing on a different superhero from the company, starting with this one, followed up by Wolverine, then Blade and culminating with the X-Men.
Tropes applying to Iron Man:
- Animated Adaptation: Of the live-action films. The opening credits even suggest they're in the same continuity.
- One episode has a Montage of Tony in action; included amongst the scenes is Iron Man fighting Iron Monger from the first film (specifically, it looks like the scene where Tony shouts "This looks important!" and starts yanking out components).
- Badass Biker - Sakurai
- Big Bad - Defense minister Kuroda
- Brainwashed and Crazy - Dr. Tanaka
- Break the Cutie - Flashbacks reveal that after Yinsen miraculously avoided his Death By Origin Story, he was taken in by a rural village, where he began to recover in both body and soul. However, the Big Bad then destroyed the entire village using Stark weaponry in order to turn Yinsen against Tony.
- Chest Blaster: The Unibeam. Engages in a Beam-O-War with a similar weapon wielded by a Zodiac mech.
- Continuity Nod: Fans of the comics will get the references to Advanced Idea Mechanics, the Fujikawa corporation and mention of quinjets.
- Crazy Prepared: Tony has 'suit-up' machines in the unlikeliest of places...
- The Cameo - Wolverine in episode 4.
- Disc One Final Boss - Yinsen
- False-Flag Operation - Zodiac uses this to make it easier to take over Japan.
- Fish Out of Water - Tony Stark in Japan.
- To the point that it's actually used In-Universe several times when he "has to think of the right phrase in Japanese," or uses informal speech and honorifics when he shouldn't. Being American, this troper has no clue whether or not the rumors that his actor was affecting an American accent the entire time are true...
- In the second episode of the adaptation, there's a similar play on this - when someone asks him why he hasn't answered about whether or not he's smuggling plutonium into the country, he replies, "Oh, I've got an answer, I'm trying to think of a courteous way to say it." And then... "It's a friggin' lie!" Kind of makes you wonder what his original, non-courteous answer would've been.
- Handsome Lech - Tony, naturally.
- Heel Realization - Pisces, a Well-Intentioned Extremist who would have easily succeeded in killing Tony if he hadn't suddenly realized he was on the wrong side.
- Sakurai, when he discovers who the real Big Bad is.
- Hey, It's That Voice!
- Nanami - Shizuka Itou
- Dr. Tanaka - Takako Honda
- Tony Stark is Lt. Maes Hughes
- Wolverine - Rikiya Koyama, who reprises him in the Wolverine anime.
- Hilariously enough, he will be voiced by Peter Petrelli in English.
- Intrepid Reporter - Nanami
- The Mole - Chika, though through Mind Control.
- Monster of the Week - Each episode features a baddie themed after an animal of the Western Zodiac.
- Oh Crap
Computer: Weapons lock detected.
Tony: Uh oh. *gets blasted*
- States it directly when he's about to get blasted by a Zodiac's version of the Unibeam.
- Powered Armour
- Satchel Switcheroo - used in Episode 2.
- Second Rider - Sakurai, who has a Samurai-themed suit of Powered Armor made by the Japanese government.
- Shout-Out - Tony's sets of armor to be mass produced are called Iron Man Dio
- Strawman Political - The defense minister turns out to be an ultranationalist who uses Zodiac to weaken Stark Industries' relations with Japan, take over the government, and turn the country into a militaristic, imperial power.
- Sugar and Ice Personality - Tanaka
- Twelve-Episode Anime
- Western Zodiac - Each epsiode features a baddie themed after one. Monster of the Week style. Based on the classic Marvel organization Zodiac.