|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Briefly, Ed Okin is an insomniac aerospace engineer (Goldblum) who encounters an Iranian smuggler's girlfriend/mule Diana (Pfeiffer), at LAX, inadvertently rescuing her from her fiancé's homicidal crime family and getting drawn into a complicated jewel heist plot.
Has examples of:
- Elvis Impersonator: Diana's brother Charlie.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: if it's possible to be Trope Overdosed on a single trope, it's this film and this trope:
- Herb (Ed's best friend) is played by Dan Akroyd
- Ed and Herb's boss is played by David Cronenberg
- Colin Morris (the psychotic British hitman) is played by David Bowie
- the doorman of the Beverly Hills Wiltshire is played by Paul Bartel
- the nameless man who is pushed off a public phone is played by Jim Henson
- Monsieur Melville (French gangster and employer of Morris) is played by Roger Vadim
- one of the four SAVAK agents pursuing Ed and Diana is played by the director, John Landis (he's the one who never speaks)
- My Car Hates Me
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: During the climax, most of the bad guys get blown away, but the one played by John Landis seems to get a special sendoff.
- Victoria's Secret Compartment (though in this case it *does* refer to the, uh, other compartment).