|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
Nunchucks are fun! The Ninja love them, and they are one of the most famous martial arts weapons around (next to the katana). The best thing about them is the fact that they are so easy to make! All you have to do, is take two random items, and connect them with a rope or a chain, and there you go! Instant Chucks!
Forget practicality, this one runs on pure Rule of Cool. Being such an easy weapon to make, a Combat Pragmatist can make some while locked in battle. If he is fighting multiple enemies, Asskicking ensues, if not, they will be discarded very quickly.
Anime & Manga
- In One Piece during the thriller Bark Arc, resident builder and strongman Franky makes Pillar chucks.
- Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha has Bardiche and his Riot Zamber form, which is a pair of energy sabers connected by an energy cable. In other words, Laser Sword chucks
- In Yaiba, during the fight between Giant Yaiba and Goemon inside the Onimaru Fortress, the latter used a whole train as a nunchak/sansetsukon againts Yaiba, and it's quite effective.
- Shuuhei Hisagi's Zanpakuto from Bleach releases into what seems to be two double-bladed scythes that are chained together in this fashion.
- In the second live action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie, Michaelangelo uses a pair of salamis joined by a string as a pair of readymade nunchucks.
- In Kung Pow, The Chosen One gained the help of two gophers and made Gopher-chucks in the middle of a fight.
- Rob Schneider has one of his characters do this in a movie set in a prison with two bars of soap, and we are even shown him working on them with a prison shiv so he can affix the rope to attach them.
Live Action TV
- Mystery Science Theater 3000 had Joel & the 'Bots come up with several "'chucks" during a break while watching Master Ninja. They included "up-chucks (plastic vomit)," "nun-chucks (nun's habits)," and "Chuck Woolerys (covered in wool)."
- Bayonetta used gun-chucks.
- In Last Ninja 2, the ninja can make nunchucks from... two toilet pulls found on the first level. (At least, that's what it looks like, since he finds them in toilets.)
- Fighter of Eight Bit Theater had the grand idea to connect two swords together and make Sword Chucks. They become a Running Gag throughout the comic. Pretty much stopped after he got them, for a while anyway.
- The Adventures of Dr. McNinja: Mongo wields the wonderfully ludicrous Chainsaw nunchucks during the "D.A.R.E To Resist Ninja Drugs" arc. He does the classic nunchuck warmup moves -- while the saws are running.
- Eddie, in Emergency Exit, has the ability to create Malletchucks, which he wields with very improbable dexterity.
- In Sinfest most-definitely-not-a-furry Slick claimed to be superhero Bunnyman using "carrot numchucks".
- Parodied in The Dreadful, as banana chucks are as effective as you'd expect them to be.
- Chris Sims of the Invincible Super-Blog had a "Batman using unconventional nunchucks" contest. Entries included Nunchucks made of Sharks,...and alligators, and car batteries and more...
- Uncyclopedia has a list of fictional melee weapons the contributors wish was real. It includes Bananachucks, Weasel-chucks, Sword Chucks, and Sephiroth-chucks.
- Futurama - In one episode A giant Zoidberg attempted to use a train as nunchucks against a giant Bender. It didn't last.
- In another episode, Fry attempt to use a giant nutcracker this way, but ends up hitting his own nose instead.
- In The Super Mario Bros Super Show, episode "Mario Meets Koop-zilla", a super-sized Mario picks up a train and wields it like nunchucks or a sectioned staff to fight an equally super-sized King Koopa.
- In another episode, after learning Plumb Fu, Luigi wields pipe-chucks.
- One plot arc in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles(2003) has the turtles imprisoned by Triceratons in a gladiator training compound. When they're forced to rely on improvised weapons during an attempted prison break, Mikey uses a set of nunchuks made from toilet brushes.