|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
A dark science fiction webcomic set about 1,000 years in the future, where a religion called Rulerism based on Earth has spread across the galaxy, leaving much of space under its banner. Despite the growing unity among the galaxy, all is not well, as Rulerist troops seem to be responsible for a growing number of massacres, seemingly targeted at those whom refuse to convert. In an age where morals are twisted for the greater good, what is a human being?
Known for its unique art style and mature themes; not for viewers under 16. Updates weekly.
Read Inhuman here.
Not to be confused with the super-powered lunar race from the Marvel Universe.
Tropes used include:
- Adorkable Koji, in spades. Also, Juu and Ashido as well.
- Alien Non-Interference Clause: The consensus of spacefaring species is known as the Exploration Laws, the highest of which is "No species may trade technology to a less advanced species unless that species faces imminent extinction." Also, there is "Species who prefer to live in the technology status of "moderate" but have the scientific advancement to be considered "advanced" may be traded such technology as to permit space travel."
- Aliens Speaking English - Subverted, with most aliens speaking a Universal trade language when dealing with other species, and their own languages the rest of the time.
- Analogy Backfire - an unintentional example. When explaining that Inhuman isn't a furry comic just because some characters have fur, the author states that Chewbacca has fur too, but "you don't see anyone yiffing wookies."
- Seems that someone hasn't heard of Rule 34...
- Anyone Can Die - Despite being a rather popular character, Juu was killed off very suddenly.
- Backstory - Jet and Koji's backstory appear in sidestory chapters.
- B Side Comics - Jet's story and Cemetery.
- Badass Abnormal - Grey.
- Bi the Way - Kyo.
- Black and Gray Morality - Almost everything in the comic.
- Church Militant - The Rulerists
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass - Koji in Chapter 6.
- Ashido also counts as this
- Dream Sequence - Almost all of Chapter 4.
- Empathic Weapon - Grey.
- Even Evil Has Standards - The Rulerists.
- Everybody Smokes - Justified in Chapter 2.
- Five-Man Band:
- Half-Identical Twins - Subverted with Asilin and Benjamin.
- Harmful to Minors - The massacre in Chapter 4.
- Heroic Bystander - Kyo.
- Ho Yay - Chovek and Kyo.
- I Have Brothers - Ash.
- Improbable Age - Subverted, the youngest member of the main cast is 19, with most characters ages 24 or older.
- Inadvertent Entrance Cue - Kammi, Zara.
- Jerkass Facade - Kammi, though only in backstory.
- Kick the Dog - Subverted, Naitec's Inhuman experiments were quickly destroyed once the Rulerists realized what had gone on.
- Except said Rulerists did even worse in the process.
- Mohs Scale of Sci Fi Hardness - Middle of the road, attempts to justify technology in the setting, though often skews pervasiveness of some techs for plot purposes.
- My Name Is Inigo Montoya - Subverted with Ashido, who refuses to let himself take revenge for his brothers' deaths.
- Obfuscating Stupidity - Sartre.
- Older Than They Look - Despite appearing to be in their twenties, Koji is 32, and Sartre is 38.
- Parental Abandonment - The Lyphas, and to some extent most of Hekshano.
- Planetville - Hekshano, by Word of God .
- Scars Are Forever - Grey.
- Science Is Bad - Played straight and subverted with the Inhuman project at Naitec and the Rulerists' willingness to accept its immorality.
- Schizo-Tech - A large portion of the comic takes place on a world only recently opened up to intergalactic trade, leaving the world in the technological level of 1970's earth... with spaceships.
- And they can't really use those, because of the minefield placed there by the Rulerists after they re-introduced supposedly illegal emigrants who left after the massacres. Jet is one of these. And it's been confirmed that they don't have any that they built themselves.
- Sick and Wrong - Trope invoked for the treatment Grey got in Rulerist service.
- Space Mines: The ports of Hekshano are guarded by minefields.
- Speech Bubbles - Each character has a different color shadow for their speech bubbles for easy reading.
- The Alcoholic - Kyo.
- The Quiet One - Grey.
- Twenty Minutes Into the Future - While the comic ostensibly takes place in the far future, even on planets like Earth where it's expected for futuristic technology to be widespread, the setting ends up looking like a modern day piece, just with spaceships.
- Warrior Poet - Solla.
- Youngest Child Wins - Ash.
- Webcomic Time - The last 2 years of updates only cover one day of real time.