|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
India.Arie (born India Arie Simpson; October 3, 1975) is an American soul, R&B, and neo soul singer-songwriter, record producer, guitarist, and flautist. Her debut album, Acoustic Soul was released on March 27, 2001 and debuted at number ten on the U.S. Billboard 200 and number three on the Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums. Within months it was certified double platinum and was nominated for 7 Grammy Awards, however she won none. Following the success of Acoustic Soul, India Arie released Voyage to India. This won her two Grammy Awards. In 2006 she released Testimony: Vol. 1, Life & Relationship. It was very successful landing India.Arie her first number one on the Billboard 200. Her highly anticipated next album, Testimony: Vol. 2, Love & Politics was released in 2009 and debuted at no. 3 on the Billboard 200. It featured collaborations with artists such as Gramps Morgan and Musiq Soulchild to fulfill her self-proclaimed desire to "do projects with people who are making music that is meaningful, with a lot of integrity and a lot of sonic diversity". A new album is expected to be released in the spring of 2011.
- Acoustic Soul (2001)
- Voyage to India (2002)
- Testimony: Vol. 1, Life & Relationship (2006)
- Testimony: Vol. 2, Love & Politics (2009)
- Open Door (2011)
Her Music Provides the Following Tropes:
- But Not Too Black:
- Averted. India.Arie is a dark brown and that has not stood in the way of her success
- The 44th Grammy Awards implies otherwise, According to some of her fans, But its probably best not to bring it up.
- Doing It for the Art: Testimony Vol. 2,
- Follow Your Heart She tends to have at least one song like this one her album.
- "I Am" Song:
- Her songs "Video" and "I Am Not My Hair", both being about subverting beauty norms.
- It was really written to cheer up a Bald Woman(Robin Roberts) getting cancer treatment. "Because I Am A Queen" is a straighter example.
- Intercourse with You: Not common in her songs, but "Brown Skin" includes the strongly visual line, "I can't tell where yours begins, I can't tell where mine ends"
- It Runs in The Family: singing talent.
- Reincarnation Romance: "The Truth" implies this.