|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
One of the most amusing pastimes available on the Internet. Take a fairly representative image of some kind, slap a redundant caption on it in a bold stark font, and upload it somewhere to share with people. It's as simple as that!
Most image macros are photographs of cats, called LOLcats, but they don't even have to be photographs. Captions are typically word replacements (called snowclones) of Internet memes, such as "Im in ur X, Ying ur Z", "I has a X", "X has a flavor", and "invisible X".
The term comes from the Something Awful Fora where certain keywords were replaced with funny pictures, or "images", by an automatic script, or "macro". The vast majority of lol* are not actually used that way anymore, but it's the term that most people know.
- I Can Has Cheezburger primarily has LOLcats, and also has many other lol____s.
- The Complete Walrus Bucket Saga -- the lolrus is a crowd favorite.
- LOL BOTS
- LolBuffy has an extensive set of links to lolfriends.
- This thread contains lolerfs based on the Web Comic Erfworld, as well as some faux motivators and other remix comics.
- Another famous theme is "Demotivators", parodies of the old motivational phrase posters of corporate lore. It's gotten to the point there are motivator generators for convenient creation.
- this XKCD comic takes a shot at the phenomenon.
- LolSecrets, in the vein of PostSecret. The meme just keeps growing...
- ihasatardis, for the Doctor Who stuff. This includes stuff in foreign languages, including the entire "O RLY" meme in Russian.
- ihazastopwatch, the Livejournal for Torchwood macros.
- Halolz for video game stuff.
- The Face Palm is an image of a person or character holding their hand on their face as if embarrassed or disappointed. It typically goes without text because it alone symbolizes just how bad someone failed.
- OM NOM NOM NOM
- DO NOT WANT originated from a mistranslation of Star Wars Episode III.
- Pundit Kitchen for political lulz.
- Ban-hammers: many moderators and GMs wield them.
- ihasafreezeray, or Dr. Horrible's Evil Macro Community of Evil, is the go-to place for Dr. Horrible macros. Take for example these two. Affiliate with the example below.
- I have no idea what you're talking about ... so here's a bunny with a pancake on its head.
- Godzilla Bukkake. More work-safe than it sounds.
- YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID. Seen on 4chan, especially the Nicolas Cage one.
- Some Heroes macros.
- Lolthulhu : Cthulhu and the rest of the Lovecraftian mythos
- DRGBLZ : Airships
- Over at the Ficcing_Seeds lj comm: Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds macros here, here and here.
- Happy Snake is happy to learn of this!
- YES! THIS TROPE PLEASES GAGA!
- Advice Dog. It would be a good idea not to follow his advice.
- High Expectations Asian Father. YOU SLEPT FOR 5 HOURS. WHY YOU SO LAZY?
- HOLA QUERIDA. THIS MORNING I MAKE FOR YOU THE WAFFLES.