|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
Silvia is a young, pretty scientist, but the tragic death of her father and dark secrets from childhood torment her and strain her relationship with her boyfriend, Roberto. One night they go to hear an African man speak about voodoo, and for Silvia, the real and the unreal begin to mix...
This film provides examples of:
- Alternate Character Interpretation: Is Silvia going insane or is she being Driven to Suicide for some obscure reason?
- Ax Crazy: Silvia in the last part, as she kills three men in cold blood, one of whom is her boyfriend... or does she?
- The Bad Guy Wins: And it's either Silvia, who's gone insane and murdered three people before committing suicide or everybody else, for driving her insane to the point of suicide and eating her.
- Chekhov's Gun: The speech about how the voodoo curse works.
- Creepy Child: Silvia-as-a-girl, who starts appearing to adult Silvia and goads her into killing the old man next door, her boyfriend and her mother's lover, and then jumping from the rooftop.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Poor Silvia! Her father died at sea when she was a girl, her stepfather was a bad man who ended up raping her during the movie, and she witnesses a disturbing encounter between him and her mother who later kills herself out of shame.
- Developing Doomed Characters: The first half hour or so.
- Downer Ending: Either way, the ending is not happy.
- Driven to Madness: Definitely Silvia.
- Driven to Suicide: Silvia's mother. Francesca. Also Silvia, supposedly.
- Evil Old Folks: According to the interpretation of the ending, this trope is either played straight or subverted by the old man with the cats.
- Follow the Leader: The movie is in the mold of Rosemary's Baby and The Tenant.
- High Octane Nightmare Fuel: Ninety-nine percent of the movie, especially the very end, where Silvia's corpse is torn apart and eaten.
- Mind Screw: And how.
- Shoot the Shaggy Dog: Silvia, definitely Silvia.