The Loop (TV)
Do you like this video?
|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
- In Neon Genesis Evangelion: Nobody Dies, Kaworu is very enthusiastic about maintaining the species with Rei. The Idiot Ball? The first attempt fails by loss of Ocular Virginity. The second by Defenestration. He still tries.
- Played for Laughs in the Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep fanfic Reaching the Understanding, which turns Terra's tendency to be overly trusting of the wrong sort of people into a Running Gag by way of a chain of Gilligan Cuts.
- In the Firefly/Series/DoctorWho crossover fanfic The Man With No Name, some of the characters are hunting Reavers. When they stop, thinking they've heard something, the Doctor keeps going anyway, walking smack right into one. Even the Doctor admits it was blindingly stupid.
- The goal of Harry Potter and The Methods of Rationality seems to be to avert this.
- Although, it does get a lampshade in chapter 63, when Moody mentions a drug called "Bahl's Stupefaction", the effects of which include causing the user to do extremely stupid things.
- The cast of Hogwarts Exposed grab the Idiot Ball frequently, but special mention has to go to the scene in which Harry, Hermione and the entire Hogwarts faculty get outwitted by Crabbe and Goyle.
- Way too many Voltron: Legendary Defender fics have Pidge lose the common sense, intelligence, self-preservation skills, and self-awareness she's known for in canon just so she can find herself in a dramatic and complicated situation. Pregnancy fics are especially bad about this; it's like carrying a baby somehow robs her of half her brain cells and leads her to do things like fail to realize she's in labor for a whole day until her dog noses her belly, or go on a dangerous mission close to her due date. Naturally, bad things happen.
- The entire team tends to catch this in fics where visits to Galra-hating planets lead to Keith being poisoned for hls half-Galra blood just so everyone can fret over him (especially Lance or Shiro). One would think that the group would be keeping an eye out for such things from the very beginning, especially Allura and Coran (who know more about these cultures than anyone), Pidge (the smart one), Hunk (the cautious one) or Shiro (Keith's best friend). Hell, even Keith would normally have more common sense than to accept a strange drink. At the same time, these planets somehow catch the Smart Ball because Keith appears to be fully human, hence the people having no way of knowing of his Galra blood unless told outright.
- Lyndis is given the Idiot Ball in the Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade fic Lies, where her Fish Out of Water status (she has noble blood, but was raised on the plains) leads to her naively allowing a bunch of lecherous nobles to get her drunk so they can take turns having their way with her. It's all just a set-up for Kent to rescue her, of course.
- Kent also catches the ball during the dramatic rescue scene, when he attackes the men outright rather than calling for someone in a higher authority who would not only put a stop to it immediately, but give the nobles the punishment they deserved for such disgraceful behavior. Instead, he points his weapon at the ringleader (an out of character Erik of Laus) who then taunts Kent about how he's totally going to get in trouble with Lord Hausen for attacking a lord. Then, rather than explaining the situation outright, he claims he was drunk and attacked Erik for the hell of it.
- In the Fire Emblem Awakening fancomic Future of Despair, a pregnant and about to be due Panne stupidly runs off from the Ylissean castle and into the woods to give birth to her and Henry's son Yarne, for no other reasons than "her Taguel instincts kicked in". She gets shot full of arrows and subjected to a needless, incredibly stupid Death by Childbirth for her trouble.
- A Chrom/Female Robin fic has Robin suppressing her (apparently very active) labor until after a dinner with a good-will ambassador, causing her to collapse and end up on bed rest. Somehow, baby Lucina comes out in perfect health,
- A Fire Emblem: Three Houses kink meme prompt has the female Byleth having unprotected sex with Dimitri because he's pretty and smells good and she didn't think anything bad could happen if she didn't take her contraceptive tea every single day. Naturally, she ends up pregnant and is shocked that such a thing happened.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.