|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
"GAZ!! Taste me!! I'm delicious!!"
When a character is or has been polymorphed into a freakish anthropomorphic pastry or sweetmeat, they may grab a piece of themselves and stick it into their mouth, often remarking something along the lines of, "I taste delicious!" It is, perhaps, self-inflicted Carnivore Confusion.
This trope also covers situations where they remark "I taste delicious!" when they just get Covered in Gunge rather than being fully transformed.
Not to be confused with You Taste Delicious, which is when someone else tastes the character, or with You Won't Like How I Taste, which is about discouraging someone else from finding out how the speaker tastes.
- There's a whole blog related to this: Suicide Food
- There's a commercial for the DVD release of one of the Shrek movies, where the Gingerbread Man complains over the phone that the high picture quality makes him look too delicious. We then hear him eating himself over the phone, with alternating screams of pain and cookie-induced pleasure.
- A commercial for the M&M's "Inner M" ad campaign has a commercial had an M&M character sitting on a couch licking his lips repeatedly while a narrator says, "When you're an M&M, you'd really enjoy the way you taste." His human wife comes in, clears her throat and asks, "Are you licking yourself?" The M&M guy asks, "What? What'd you say?", in between licks.
- An ad for Pogo corndogs has a guy find a magic lamp and wish to become a Pogo stick. He then stares at the genie with a smile, and he's covered in mustard. Then he and his dog start eating himself.
- The Cinnamon Toast Crunch squares apparently like themselves a little too much, that their unofficial names is the Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cannibals. One even ate itself into nothing and chuckled.
- Played with in "Oscar Mayer" commercials, where kids sing a happy song about wishing they were the titular hot dog ("I wish I were an Oscar Mayer wiener")... until they realize how irresistibly delicious they would be. Cue immediate lyrics change to "I'm glad I'm not an Oscar Mayer wiener."
- The Memetic Mutation character Takoluka, based off the latest Vocaloid model Megurine Luka, is sometimes depicted eating takoyaki. Sometimes said takoyaki is made from one of her tentacles. And she's still so friggin cute when doing that.
- Yakitate!! Japan. The character involved gets better, but he's noticeably slimmer afterwards, because his friends kept taking bites out of him.
- In Cat Soup, the two main character kittens are stranded on a boat with a pig. The younger kitten opens up the pig via a zipper, takes a chunk of meat from him, and proceeds to cook it. After feeding his comatose sister one part he offers the other slice to the pig, who proceeds to eat it with apparent relish. Yeah, it's that kind of movie.
- in Lanfeust, Hebus have the opportunity to taste himself after being partially eaten and regenerated:
Hebus: what are these?
C'ian: What the mermaids were eating when we found you.... pieces of you and Lanfeust!
Hebus: Great! (eat it).... Lanfeust is a little bit bland, but I am Tasty!
- An inversion--rather than becoming something the character would eat, she becomes something that would have eaten her: In Luminosity, Bella decides to test her control as a vampire by smelling her old clothes, which still smell like human Bella.
I would have tasted delicious.
- In the Naruto fanfic Yet again, with a little extra help, Naruto invokes this trope after helping Kakashi practice chidori variants as his fast-healing practice dummy:
- Spaceballs features Pizza the Hutt's robot sidekick tasting him and saying he's delicious. Later, we learn that they got trapped in their limo, and Pizza the Hutt ate himself to death.
- After Charlie, his grandfather and Willy Wonka leave the factory in the Wonkavator near the end of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Augustus Gloop's mother admonishes her fudge-covered (or possibly just plain fudge-ified) son not to eat his fingers.
"But I taste so good!"
-Prince Hapnick gets hit in the face with a pie and tastes it.-
Prince: Umm... brandy! Throw more brandy, throw brandy! More brandy! Brandy!
-Gets hit by another pie, tastes it-
Prince: Umm... rum! I never mix my pies!
- The infamous Ray Liotta brain scene in Hannibal.
- In what may be the most fitting ending ever to a cannibal movie, The Anthropophagus Beast ends with the villain, an insane cannibal, being disemboweled with a pickax... and attempting to devour his own intestines. He doesn't get very far before he dies.
- There's a Shel Silverstein poem about a kid who eats the universe, then himself... "'till nothin', but nothin', was nothin' left but teeth."
- A weird aversion in one of the Wayside School stories, where Mrs. Jewls brings the class ice cream flavored like themselves, a different student every time until the whole class has been gone through. Each of the students remarks on how the others taste delicious (and some go so far as to try licking their classmates to get a further taste), but each student who gets his or her own ice cream can't taste anything.
- An example from Haunted 2005. And it doesn't have to do with transformations, either. Comrade Snarky only fainted, but her companions didn't know that... and when she wakes up, she tries some of the "food" they have. Which leads to the immortal line:
"You fed me my own ass?"
- Another example is the Stephen King story "Survivor Type," where a surgeon who crash-landed on an island keeps himself alive by amputating and eating parts of his own body.
- An example from Philip K. Dick's short story 'Beyond Lies The Wub', where the titular creature takes over the Captain's body, allowing it to eat its own delicious flesh - which was presumably inhabited by the Captain at the time it was being eaten.
- The cow at the Restaurant At The End Of The Universe deliberately is like this. At some point (possibly after the breeding of or contact with sapient bovines) it was reckoned that all this slaughtering animals that had no idea what was coming and wasn't too happy about it when it did was animal cruelty, and something should be done about it. So, naturally, the logical conclusion was to breed an animal whose greatest desire was to be slaughtered and eaten, and was intelligent enough to say so -- and even recommend particularly good cuts of itself.
- Said in an episode of Pushing Daisies by the alive-again Victim of the Week, a fried chicken chef who got fried in his own batter.
"At least I'm golden and delicious."
- Saturday Night Live had a fake commercial for a fried chicken restaurant. The ad featured a cartoon chicken that explained the process of killing a chicken, removing its feathers and innards, and then quartering, cutting and cooking. A the end the chicken proclaims, "Try the me!"
- In a recent episode of Dollhouse, a Japanese man in the Attic is seen seated at a table eating sushi. It isn't until Echo tries to make him leave that you see what he meant when he said, "I must stay here and try to enjoy myself."
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Xander has to keep Spike at his place; ties him up to keep him from feeding. Spike claims he definitely wouldn't.
Xander: I happen to be very biteable, pal. I'm moist and delicious.
Spike: All right, yeah, fine. You're a nummy treat.
Xander: And don't you forget it.
- In another episode, Spike thoroughly squicks out Buffy when he tastes the blood from his nosebleed.
- In Community, Troy confesses one of his deepest fears to Abed: "If I woke up and I was a donut, I'd eat myself. I wouldn't even question it."
- The Rammstein song "Mein Teil" portrays Bernd Jürgen Brandes, a German man infamous for attempting to consume his own genitalia in the company of fellow Humanitarian Armin Miewes, as enjoying his own flavor.
- The Vocaloid song "Conchita, Epicurian Daughter of Evil", ends with the titular character devouring herself as that is the only dish left that she hasn't tried.
- There's a Get Fuzzy comic strip where Satchel gets a bucket of chicken stuck on his head. "My head tastes... amazing..."
- The trope name is almost a direct quote from Haagenti, Demon Prince of Gluttony, though it's not like he'd never tasted Demon Prince before.
- Likewise played for horror in D&D. One lower planes monster likes to feed by paralysing its victims and eating their innards. This would be horrible enough by itself but the monster is naturally telepatic, causing everyone around, including the victim, to taste what it tastes.
Homestar: (as a gingerbread cookie) Ooh, man. I feel de-licious! Does anybody here know if it is either illegal or unethical to wanna eat yourself?
King of Town: I sure hope not!
- In another short, Strong Bad knocks over the cardboard box Homestar is using as a donut stand, spilling the fryer oil on him:
"My face! My delicious fried face!"
- In an early Questionable Content strip, the chibi robot, Pintsize, ate cake mix. When Marten wondered what would happen if they put him in the oven, he exclaimed that he bet he'd "taste delicious."
- Happens early on in this Girls with Slingshots strip.
- This Partially Clips.
- In that episode of Invader Zim where Zim turns Dib into bologna, Dib does this. He even tries to get Gaz to taste him. She runs. (Although she does later take a bite out of him...)
- In The Simpsons, Homer has his head turned into a donut, and he takes a bite from it because he's so delicious.
Marge: Homer, stop picking at it!
Homer: Aww, but I'm so sweet and tasty!
- In an episode of The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, Billy is transformed into chocolate after eating some enchanted chocolate-sailor's sweets. He eats his arm, screaming with each bite. Eventually, he eats himself down to a disembodied chocolate head, at which point he continues to try to eat himself out of existence.
- The other chocolate sailors also have this habit of eating themselves. They even showed a chocolate sailor with only it's head left.
Chocolate Sailor: It happens every time!! How can I have a proper crew when they keep eating themselves?!
- Princess Lu in Cartoon Network's Mike, Lu & Og once got her comeuppance for having a sweet tooth by getting covered in sticky candy which set hard. There wasn't much she could do after that except lick the candy from her face, which she didn't mind too much.
- There's a Robot Chicken short involving a Gummy bear in a Bear trap.
Pink Gummy Bear: Goodness! I taste delicious!
- A variation occurs in the Adventure Time episode "The Jiggler", when Finn and Jake discover that the Jiggler eats drawings. Finn draws a doodle of Jake, intending to feed it to the Jiggler; Jake freaks out and eats the drawing first.
Jake: I taste awesome.
- In one episode of Max and Ruby, Ruby attempts to use her little brother as a guinea pig for her all natural "fruity beauty treatment." I.E., she covers his face in guacamole, cucumbers, and mashed fruit of various kinds. While she and her friend attempt to make him a strawberry manicure, he eats his facial mask, eye cucumbers, and the rest of her guacamole.
- In an episode of Regular Show, a cult of man-eating hot-dogs are convinced to cannibalize one another when sprayed down with mustard. At least one of them is shown eating himself out of existance. Probably best to not think about the physical mechanics of that.
- On Jimmy Two-Shoes, when Jimmy and Beezy think Heloise is going to eat them, Beezy tries sucking his tail and notes the good taste.
- Likewise, in What's up with Heloise? Beezy is turned into a pizza by Heloise and ends up eating most of his own arm.
- The front cover of Bizenghast 5 has Dinah made of cake, and having cut a chunk of her stomach out to eat, also licking her fingers.
- The ouroboros, which symbolizes cycles, unity and Eternal Recurrence, is presumably thinking this all the time... or is just plain unable to stop swallowing what he's started - like real-life snakes, actually. It's apparently possible to force-feed a snake this way, though it is extreme animal cruelty.