|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
I Love New York is a VH-1 reality television series. It features Tiffany Pollard (better known as "New York") in a quest to find her true love. The series is a spin off of another relationship competition series, Flavor of Love, which featured Pollard as a finalist in two consecutive seasons.
Whereas Flavor of Love tried to redefine Crazy Awesome, I Love New York stays firmly in So Bad It's Good territory. It's in every way a Distaff Counterpart to Flavor of Love: expect the lineup of hot men to get into catfights, burst out crying, do each other's hair and shake their thongs.
After Tango, the winner of the show's first season, failed to deliver as New York's soul mate, the second season aired, revealing Tailor Made as New York's chosen flame. Somehow, during the taping of her latest show New York Goes to Hollywood, New York dumps him.
In addition to Pollard, a host of other individuals from Flavor of Love joined in, including "Sister" Patterson (Pollard's mother) who appeared on the show to help Pollard choose the right man. Mauricio Sanchez played New York's assistant, "Chamo," but only for the first season.
A third season has recently been announced.
- New York Goes To Work
- New York Goes To Hollywood
- Real Chance Of Love
- Real And Chance: The Legend Hunters
- Frank The Entertainer: A Basement Affair
- Boston Symposium
This series provides examples of the following:
- Aesop Amnesia: New York eliminates Onix for saying Sister Patterson's church performance was an act, and why did Tango dump her? Because she insulted his mother. Come season two, it's obvious she hasn't learned her lesson as she's back at insulting the contestants family members (Pretty and Punk's Mothers and Sisters, and Buddha's father). Pretty even leaves because of this.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Tailor Made, who compares this to being "The new guy in prison".
- Arch Nemesis:
- Season 1: Chance and Mr. Boston, Tango and Whiteboy
- Chance and Mr. Boston temporarily set aside their differences in I Love Money, to pair up for what they thought would be an eating contest. It turned out to be a kissing contest. Mr. Boston was up for it, Chance... wasn't.
- Season 2: Tailor Made and Buddha
- Season 1: Chance and Mr. Boston, Tango and Whiteboy
- Becoming the Mask: Tango said that he wanted Tiffany Pollard, but got VH-1's New York instead.
- Camp Gay: Chamo
- Clip Show
- Cloudcuckoolander: New York has her moments. She's afraid of parrots because they don't have "English diction".
- Curb Stomp Battle: Mr. Boston vs. Chance in a boxing match.
- Devil in Plain Sight: Tailor Made, at first. When the guys start to catch on, they do everything they can to (a) get him out of the house and (b) get New York to notice. But she always forgives him. The man appears to be channeling Patrick Bateman.
- The Ditz: It
- Expy: Unsure of Romance. He even lampshaded this on a casting special when he mentioned he looked like "the guy who was crying about his dead dog."
- Everyone Meets Everyone
- Extraverted Nerd: Mr. Boston
- Foot Focus: The Entertainer sucking on New York's toes.
- Handsome Lech: The Entertainer.
- Heterosexual Life Partners: 12 Pack and Heat
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Punk has since become a wrestler, joined The Nexus, and is better known as Jennifer Hudson's fiance.
- Honor Before Reason: Mr. Wise was promoted to becoming a "Mama's Boy" and was asked by Sister Patterson to be a snitch. He refused, and was quickly demoted.
- It's All About Me: New York eliminates Heat because, due to his family tradition, he placed "Yaya" (His grandmother) first before her.
- Jerkass: Chance
- Late Arrival Spoiler: New York doesn't win Flavor of Love, both times.
- Manipulative Bastard: Tailor Made
- Mistaken for Gay: Again, 12 Pack and Heat. And then it turns out that 12 Pack used to work as a stripper. At a gay club.
- Money, Dear Boy: In a later interview, Real and Chance say they were simply scouted for the show on My Space and were lured in by the money. They had no idea the casting would be for a show about New York. Both brothers claim that they always thought of New York as a big joke -- although Chance did enjoy all the sex.
- 12 Pack literally said he was only there to get camera time. Others weren't quite so open about it, but got eliminated for the same reason anyway.
- Mr. Fanservice
- Nerd: Mr. Boston and Cheesy
- Non Gameplay Elimination
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Every contestant is given a nickname that their called throughout the show, just like the show's predecessor.
- Heck, even Tiffany Pollard AKA New York qualifies as this.
- The Runner Up Takes It All: Real and Chance has since had two seasons of their own dating show and now have their own Legend Hunters TV show.
- Sassy Black Woman: New York, of course.
- Screw the Rules, I Make Them: New York pulls this to bring Buddha back after he's been sent home.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here: Narrowly averted with Tango. Unsure and Pretty, not so much.
- A Shared Suffering: New York and Mr. Wise after Mr. Wise was spat on by Tailor Made, knowing full well about her incident with Pumkin.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: Real and Chance
- Smug Snake: Tailor Made
- Spin-Off: Real Chance of Love, A Basement Affair.
- New York gets two herself: New York Goes To Hollywood and New York Goes To Work.
- Stealth Parody: Mr. Boston in his new web series, Boston Symposium. He may have been trolling us all along.
- He was definitely trolling for most of I Love Money, but it couldn't hide the fact that deep down, he's still a big dork.
- The Ugly Woman's Hot Son: Punk in comparison to his mother and sister as New York even stated that he got all the looks in his family.
- The Un-Reveal: Tango and Tailor Made's real names in Seasons 1 and 2 respectively. They're Patrick and George.
- We Hardly Knew Ye
- ↑ Via commentary in Punk's case