|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
So a boy is riding around on his bike, trying to get to his dad, who's in the hospital in a faraway city. The same boy, Adam Farmer, is sitting in some kind of interrogation room in a mental hospital, trying to remember his life before the hospital.
I Am the Cheese is an emotional mindscrew novel about Adam Farmer, who is afraid of everything, has to take medication, lives in an asylum, and is in love with a girl named Amy.
Also, the story is set three years after his parents died. He never rode a bike to his dad's hospital. He couldn't have; he never left his own.
I Am the Cheese provides examples of:
- Cuckoo Nest: See Mind Screw below.
- I Am the Noun: I Am the Cheese (from the song, The Farmer in the Dell.)
- Mind Screw: Nothing Adam sees or aims for on his bike ride are real, sans the characters he meets.
- No Medication for Me: At the beginning of the book, Adam dumps all his pills down his sink. He tries to avoid medication from Brint as well, but Adam resists less as the book progresses.
- Witness Protection: The Farmer family is a part of this. It's later revealed that their real last name is Delmonte.